• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Questions about the HD Mossberg 500

One other thing, has anyone replaced the follower in their Mossberg with the metal one? Does the plastic one really give any problems?

Slugs will work fine and as far as 2" shells I havent used them but you dont need to modify the weapon to do so.

Hi Sancman!

Yup slugs are fine as Oli already mentioned, most breachers arent tighter than improved cylinder.

I have no clue on the follower... sometimes the advantage is quickly and easily confirming the magazine is clear by a quick glance. Though if youre shooting, if you arent counting rounds, the "click" and no bang will give it away. Some plastics, like delrin, are very durable and long wearing with reduced friction too. Though there are folks like Vang using stainless and some use cnc machined billet aluminum too. I couldnt be certain of advantages in any of these cases.

2" shells? I've seen em and never tried em, so I defer to Oli's judgement here.

Thats a whole lot a gun! I have a hard time with lasers cuz theyre more reference and not point of aim/point of impact, and lights I consider for target ID only. Sounds like some really cool stuff! We're gonna need pics man!!! :D

I really like the single point sling on mine! What mount are you using with it?

Sounds like a fine zombie gun Sancman!!! pics! pics! pics!

Now go have fun shootin and patterning! ;)

well, I got to the range to try some reloads.

Ive come up with a load for my pistol, not I just gotta finish looking at the data from the AR and the 7mm to see what it liked in those bullet weights.

the shotgun stayed at home.

Re: Newbie question re: storage position for action

I leave mine with the action open and shells ready to drop into the ejection port should i need it, but I dont leave the magazine loaded.

This works for me, but I agree with what else has been said. There isnt a right or wrong way here, just what makes most sense for you to do! ;)

Rossignol said:
I leave mine with the action open and shells ready to drop into the ejection port should i need it, but I dont leave the magazine loaded.

This works for me, but I agree with what else has been said. There isnt a right or wrong way here, just what makes most sense for you to do! ;)
Im gonna disagree to a point.
right and wrong depends on how the gun will be brought into play. If its your BITN gun, it would be better to have it more ready for action than unloaded. If its storage, backup, last ditch choice, open is just as good as closed.

Why none in the mag Brad ? Kids ? do you keep the 45 on for night shift ?

Hi Guys,

Just received a brand new 500 today. I pulled it from the box, and immediately noticed the forend is not moving completely rearward. At the point it won't go any farther, it takes a good amount of force to move it forward again. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard Silenced78!

That does sound odd. 500 forends are typically a bit loose if anything. I would recommend a field strip and inspection of the forend components. You might see something amiss right off the bat, or you may see that it just needs a thorough cleaning and some oil. Post up pictures if you think something's out of whack and we'll do what we can to help. Either way, keep us posted...

Thanks for the help! Field strip solved the problem. Seemed the cartridge interrupter wasn't seated properly. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Well... I have the kids in the house. I dont use trigger locks so leaving it unloaded is the compromise. Its very easy to get a few shells loaded quickly, and is how I practice with it, by loading the first shell into the ejection port. I have shells laid out in threes ready to go.

The 1911 and loaded magazine are set together and always ready to go as well.

This is why I dont think there is a right or wrong way. Sure it makes sense to have the magazine loaded and cruiser ready. But because of our comfort level in each of our individual situations (and sometimes compromises we have to make) our tactics will have to be specifically tailored to meet our needs. And in my case that means the shotguns are out with the action open and shells in easy reach ready to be loaded.

+1 Brad,

It's whatever YOU and your family are comfortable with and everything is a trade off.
My kids are older now and VERY comfortable around and responsible with guns.
But when they were younger I was not so comfortable leaving mag on a long gun full and didn't sleep with a loaded 1911 within arm's reach.

I've never been a fan of trigger guards either so I've spent a lot of time letting my kids shoot till they were nearly sick of it - just to take away the "forbidden fruit" aspect (and to ensure they know how to be effective with long and short arms).

Jeff

Expat, I agree on getting the kids involved so they thoroughly understand the firearms!

My oldest daughter shoots with me all the time and has a firm grasp on firearm safety. My youngest is 5 and is interested and is just learning the basics, like clear the gun of ammo before handling. She already wants her own bantam model .22. My son has zero interest.

Given all that... I'm not always home when they are. I'd like to say they would never go and get guns out without me here, but stranger things have happened.

End of the story;
I'm not gonna leave my firearms in a state they have to be cleared. For now anyway. I practice having to load them and I'm comfortable with that! ;)

The action springs can handle being compressed for very long peroids of time (years). It's the magazine spring that'll give you problems if left under compression for long periods of time.

If you load the magazine to capacity or near capacity and leave it that way for days/weeks at a time, expect to occasionally replace a magazine spring. The good news, magazine springs are not all that expensive.

It has been my experience the extended magazine springs seem to be more prone to fatigue.

I store a shotgun unloaded, action closed safety on.

I don't like to keep ammo in the magazines as it doesn't take long to load if necessary. Unloaded, action closed, hammer down, ammo close by is how I store my guns. This is all a matter of preference though, do what makes you feel comfortable.
Also, I don't like trigger locks. Just a royal pain in the ass.

Re: Slugs in my Mossberg 500

I don't know if my shotgun is rifled or smooth... And I from what I read on the topic. Of the link you gave me, I am certain you can use slugs with rifled and smooth barrel shotguns. Am I correct?

Back