• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Forends

Re: Wood Forend for the 590A1?

Youre welcome! The Hogue is all I use at this point!

Mossberg 590 Forends

Well it arrived and it's exactly what I wanted. it's a standard "police" 500/590 forend, cut (they call it machined, which it is, but it's a piece of plastic. You know? :lol: ) to hold a ring, which slides over the forend tube, to which a rail is attached. It's a pretty slick package over all. It even comes with a dual purpose mossberg/remington forend nut tool! I actually needed one for my Rem wingmaster so score!

You simply take the old forend off the tube, slide on the new one, slip the ring over the tube, and put the nut back on. Of course being an idiot, I managed to cut myself doing it, but I doubt anybody else would have :oops:

Now this is right around $100. You can get more tacticool rail systems for half that! I just want to keep my gun as stock, and as non-black gun, as a completely black gun can be if you get my drift. I sprung for the more expensive Light E'm UP! Package. Basically for $20 more you get a 1 inch light clamp, and a very nice streamlight Polytac light. The light alone retails for $35 on Ebay, and your usual online stores.

I am completely satisfied. I don't feel any need to get a TLR-1 anymore as this rail makes hitting the momentary on the light as easy as on the TLR-1! The rail is unobtrusive yet does the job. Expensive? Yes. but worth it for me. This would of course work on an 8 shot magazine 590, but this is definitely the answer I was looking for on my 5 shot tube.

I always say my pictures suck, but now that we're entering Fall it's even worse up here in the Northwest! I took these at 2:00 pm and the angle is already casting crazy shadows. The pic of the "business end" is particularly bad :D

CIMG0955.jpg

mounted.jpg

bracketnlight.jpg

Re: GG&G single rail forend for 590/500

Nice blue!

Glad to hear it's workin out for ya. Looks great...

Blue, I like that alot and totally understand what you mean about keeping it stock looking and not "tacticool'd" and it looks good!

Blue, that's real nice. Do you have any pictures of the two parts before you assembled to the shotgun? I'd like to know if you can rotate the ring (and rail) to the 6 o'clock position? I would then machine out my stock forend (to clear the ring) and slot it at 6 o'clock. The rail would then be at the bottom so I could slide it into my Scabbard real easy.

That looks nice. I've actually been thinking if it was possible to machine the stock forend to accept a rail. I also like how it keeps the stock look of the gun.

Blue that looks nice.
Where did you get it from, or did I miss it?

Lateck,

lateck said:
Blue that looks nice.
Where did you get it from, or did I miss it?

Lateck,

Direct from GG&G.

Link here http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-and-mossberg-590-forearm-flashlight-mount-package-sale.html

Note that the Mossberg one is $9 more expensive. but at $120 you're paying the normal $99 for the forend, but you're getting a LOT for that extra $19. I never expected to use the provided light on the gun, thinking I'd have to get a TLR-1. But the provided light now lives on the gun, and I have full control of the intermittent function, even when racking the slide.

It IS the budget solution if you want your gun to remain visually non-threatening. Well, as non-threatening as an all black shotgun with an 18inch barrel can be. You 20 inch boys and girls are already in the threatening zone as soon as you pulled it out of the box :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had commented in another post about my Hogue forend being sloppier than the original and thought I should post what I did in this thread.

Since the guts of the forend is the same for each I looked at the clearance between the tube and the forend. The Mossberg was a very tight fit and the Hogue wasn't. I used some masking tape on the forend tube to take out the play. It took some time to get the right amount that wouldn't peel off when I put it together. That seemed to do the trick and know the Hogue now has the same play and noise of the original OFM forend which I like a lot better.

I got to shoot it today and between the shorter LOP stock the rubber overmolded forend, it was much more comfortable to shoot and cycle. I really like the feel of the Hogue and had no trouble even though is was very hot, humid and mid afternoon at the range.

I've searched high and low as well as reading this whole thread. I want a different forend for my 590A1 and from what I can gather the Hogue is about the only option? I wish there were a list somewhere for all the 590A1 compatible forends.

I installed a KickLite stock on my 590A1 (#51660) and tried the forend that came in the kit (really love the design and feel of it), but it is too short as well as being not quite formed correctly to allow proper cycling of the action. I'm not necessarily looking for tactical forend with rails, but just want a nicer looking, better feeling forend.

Does anyone have any other forend suggestions for the 590A1 (#51660) 20"? I can't believe there aren't more options for this since the gun has been around for so long.

I run the UTG aluminum tri-Rail on my two pump guns...

There are plenty of options out there. Forends made for the 500/590 will also work on the 590a1...

There arent a ton of options. But if youre lookin to stay with the factory look, something like what Blue posted above could work if you need somethin with a rail, or like the one LES posted with some real estate.

But for somethin more factory lookin, without rails and not tac'd out, youre lookin at stuff like the Hogue.

We dont really have a list of forends, just this thread man.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I run the UTG aluminum tri-Rail on my two pump guns...

There are plenty of options out there. Forends made for the 500/590 will also work on the 590a1...

I was under the impression that because of the heavy barrel of the 590A1, not many 500/590 forends fit correctly as I found out with the KickLite forend http://prostores4.megawebservers.co...com/-strse-8/12-GA.-SHOTGUN-FOREND/Detail.bok. I've seen many people mention that they had gotten forends that supposedly would work on the 590A1 only to find out they wouldn't fit.

Is that a 590A1 in your photo?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
That particular pic is my 590, but here's a pic of the same forend on my a1...

Fits like it was made for it...

SWEET! Thanks for the info. Looks like a forend I will have to add to my want/wish list. This thing is getting EXPENSIVE. :mrgreen:

No problem, glad to help.

If you decide to pick one up check out m1surplus.com. They sell the UTG forend with the rails as a package for a great price. Most other places sell them separately.

Oh and in that Phoenix link you posted the description starts by saying that the forend will fit Mossberg 12ga models, and then states that it does not fit the 500A. Not sure which 12ga Mossberg it's supposed to fit in the first place...

Back