1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Shockwave' started by Sparkey70, Jan 31, 2017.

1. White Oak 590A1

White Oak 590A1 .22LR Supporter

Shockwave with Wood.jpg

My latest Shockwave build. 12 Ga. Stainless steel Cerakote, with checkered walnut forend and raptor grip. I've added an oversized metal safety, oversized white bead sight. I replaced the mag follower with an aluminum mag follower and installed a MilSpec metal trigger assembly.

The checkered walnut really gives a great gripping surface.
  2. ricky_bobby

ricky_bobby .22LR

Thanks for posting! I agree the Black Aces furniture is worth every penny and they are the only ones texturing the grip which makes a big difference - If they made a full actual Marinecote version (not cerakote) I would be doing a similar build -

For now my plan is base Shockwave, Black Aces checkered walnut, a leather strap if I find I need one, short leather sling, Vang Comp safety and SJ Hardware follower, and maybe a brighter bead as you did - I don't mind the polymer trigger group assembly but would consider replacing it with metal to have an "all metal and wood" gun -
    meanstreak and White Oak 590A1 like this.
  3. White Oak 590A1

ricky_bobby, I build Mossberg 590 & 590A1s for a hobby, and had a metal trigger assembly available to put in the Shockwave. I definitely would not go to the expense of upgrading to a metal trigger assembly if I had not had one on hand available.
    meanstreak likes this.
  4. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

White Oak, nice looking gun ya got there. Nice hobby as well.
    sixbennetts likes this.
  5. Warhammer

Warhammer Copper BB

Here's my little not-a-shotgun. More money in accessories than the gun itself cost. I know, I know... it's a sickness!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started with a Shockwave in FDE, then (front to back):
    XS Big Dot Tritium front bead
    MagPul MOE fore end
    Talon Grips grip tape
    InForce WML light on a piece of MagPul rail
    Esstac 6-round shotgun cards
    KE Arms mount for RMR
    MagPul MOE-K grip
    Holosun HS507C micro red dot
    TacStar AR stock adapter
    MagPul MS3 convertable 1 or 2 point sling
    SB Tactical SB3 pistol brace
  6. White Oak 590A1

Excellent job Warhammer!
    meanstreak likes this.
  7. Mossbergermeister

Mossbergermeister .410

@White Oak 590A1
    Something I've been curious about, is the Stainless Cerakote external only or is it applied to internally as well?

The wording on the official blog announcement for the Stainless Cerakoted Shockwave is awkward and sounds almost as if the inside of the reciever and barrel are Cerakoted as well.
    meanstreak likes this.
  8. Warhammer

Warhammer Copper BB

The stainless (look) CeraKote would be externally applied, just like any other color of CeraKote.
  9. Warhammer

Warhammer Copper BB

Great looking build, but the one thing that bugs me is the way the most rails hang off the receiver at the front. I know that extra length might be needed for mounting a scope, but it's unnecessary for a dot sight or laser and just looks weird, imo. Doesn't anyone make a rail that sits flush with the front end of the receiver? If not, I'd chop it shorter, maybe with a beveled edge, and refinish the cut end. That's a big part of why I went with the KE Arms mount on my build.
  10. White Oak 590A1

Yup, it's like Warhammer said, external only.
  11. White Oak 590A1

Warhammer, I agree. I had this Mesa Tactical rail as a spare part. I'm hoping KE Arms will make a short rail that'll work with Streamlight flashlight/lasers.