• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Cleaning/Maintenance

How to coil a shotgun magazine spring?

When adding an extension or otherwise getting a spring that needs to be cut down, how do you go about cooling the ends? Previously I just turned it inward with pliers best I could. It worked but didn't look great. Ideas? Suggestions? Pictures?

Re: How to coil a shotgun magazine spring?

Haven't had to do that yet so I'm not sure. I know when I've had to shorten other springs I do just that...turn the end in with pliers so it doesn't hang on anything.

Been looking into the same, or at least similar - dry lube. A can of Hornady dry spray lube claims it's good up to ~400*F. I initially thought this was too low, but I'd bet it might be fine on the piston itself..

Pin spacing question

Can anyone tell me what the spacing distance is between the two pins above the trigger on a 930? I cannot locate that spec online. Is it 2", 1 3/4", or non of the above?

Chris

930 Newbie Questions

Hey guy’s I just have a few newbie questions, I haven’t gone through the manual yet but I’m just wondering what the best way to break this gun in? I’ve never owned an auto loader so I want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly. Also with the sights, what’s the best way to sight this in exactly? I have a Mossberg 590 which just has a front bead so it’s simply point and shoot I’ve never sighted a shotgun in before so I wasn’t sure what the best way would be since it’s kind of a point and shoot weapon. Last question of the night, I went ahead and oiled it all up but I haven’t completely field stripped it yet, I’m wondering if you guys would recommend field stripping it before I take it shooting for the first time, or just do it after the first outing, and on that, I know it shows how to break it down in the manual but I was wondering if anyone has done a video of the breakdown/reassembly process? I find it a lot easier to actually watch someone break it down and reassemble it rather than just reading through the steps one by one. As always any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: 930 Newbie Questions

I'd check out one of the many "930 field strip" videos available on YouTube.

It's a very straightforward operation and everything is essentially contained by the magazine and the cap/extension.

Start by unscrewing that and then sliding the barrel off(after locking the action open) and the rest of the system slides off of the magazine tube.... release the bolt with the button then just pull out the charging handle and remove the bolt and carrier from the front of the receiver(hold the button down to allow it to slide all the way out)... clean the receiver and all parts thoroughly, lube receiver and bolt group generously, make sure the piston housing/piston/piston gas rings are free of carbon build up and the gas ports into the barrel are clean and unobstructed and reassemble in the opposite order of tear down.

The only break in necessary is a complete and thorough cleaning. They come with a lot of thick grease in them and will function a lot better if cleaned out and relubed with something a little thinner.

Edited for spell check.

MikeD said:
The only break in necessary is a complete and thorough cleaning. They come with a lot of think grease in them and will function a lot better if cleaned out and relubed with something a little thinner.

Think grease huh? ;) We need to send a couple truckloads of that to Wash. DC. :lol:

GunnyGene said:
MikeD said:
The only break in necessary is a complete and thorough cleaning. They come with a lot of think grease in them and will function a lot better if cleaned out and relubed with something a little thinner.

Think grease huh? ;) We need to send a couple truckloads of that to Wash. DC. :lol:

The grease in mine was highly intelligent. LOL That's what I get for posting before my morning coffee.

I was under the impression that you needed to put a couple hundred rounds through it to break it in really well, I was going to grab a couple of those hundred packs from Wal-Mart and put those through it, I also have loads of 00 Buckshot/Slugs but I was hoping that I wouldn’t need to go through my good ammo to break it in.

Derbarbarian said:
I was under the impression that you needed to put a couple hundred rounds through it to break it in really well, I was going to grab a couple of those hundred packs from Wal-Mart and put those through it, I also have loads of 00 Buckshot/Slugs but I was hoping that I wouldn’t need to go through my good ammo to break it in.

Just like people, guns are different.

The 1st 25 rounds (before even cleaning it) that I put through mine were low brass bird-shot.

I'd read that you needed to clean it well before firing, and break it in with high-brass.

But being an old curmudgeon, I had to go against sound advice, just to see for myself... It worked out just fine for me. No problems.

However, I recommend cleaning it good, and then try some low brass, and some high brass. Figure out what it likes the best. If it shoots OK with the cheaper low brass, then use that to break it in.

Duane

Alrighty, I wasn't sure if I really needed to break it down before shooting it or not, I guess it's better safe than sorry.

Re: Pin spacing question

Hey Chris, have you tried to email Joe at Mossberg or call them directly? They have been really helpful with me in the past when trying to get an exact measurement.

are you talking the distance from pin to pin on one side of the receiver or basically the width of the receiver(end to end of each pin?)?

let me know and I'll measure it when I get home

"distance between the two pins...." too me is the distance from pin placement to the other. Location on the receiver then the width of. I don't have one so I can't measure but I believe that Mossberg would help you out

Thanks guys - we sold a rail it it appeared the manufacturer out and 870 rail in a 930 rail box in error - the look similar but the pin spacing is different. I measured my 870 but confirming with the customer I wanted to make sure the 930 was actually different.

Smoothing out the action...

Greetings,

Just what the title states... Other than box after box of shells... What have you done to smooth out the action on your 930??...

hagatha

Re: Smoothing out the action...

ive been looking for this same answer for a while. ive also been looking for precisely what people do with a 930 to increase its reliability (im sure smoothing out the action would increase reliability). a youtube vid would be a great, but i dont expect that.

Re: Smoothing out the action...

Honestly the best thing you can do to smooth out any gun is put a few thousand rounds through it.

The more you shoot it the better it will run.

Back