• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Cleaning/Maintenance

RUST - 930 SPX

I will be the first to admit I do not clean my guns very often unless they get wet or something. I am a firm believer that if a gun doesn't run dirty I don't want it. In a SHTF situation, I need to know that my gun will run even if I can't get it cleaned right away. A gun that has to be clean to run is of no use to me at all. Having said that, although dirty as all get out, I have never had an issue with rust from any of them. My safe has dehumidifier packs in it to help combat this.

But my 930 rusts practically if you blow on it. I have found rust on the bolt release, charging handle, bolt face, trigger and barrel; all of which has been surface rust on the finished surface that easily comes off. However Saturday night before a local 3gun match I found that it's chamber was rusted badly. After about an hour of scrubbing, most of it came off but there are a couple of spots that are actually pitted. :x

Is anyone having issues with rust on their 930, even on the finished areas?

Thanks

Re: Smoothing out the action...

My 930 SPX performs flawlessly every time I shoot it. Never a problem. (Always shoot 1200 FPS loads or higher)

Here is what I have done to it:

1.) Replaced stock spring with 28" Wolff spring.

2.) Replaced stock follower with GG&G follower.

3.) Beveled edges of stock mag extension and tube with dremel.

4.) Polished inside of mag tube and extension w/ cordless drill, using 00 steel wool wrapped on a wooden dowel.

5.) Meticulously maintained. Full tear down and clean / lube every time I shoot it.

No magic in the above info, but it works for me.

Hammer

Re: RUST - 930 SPX

Greetings,

Reading your post got me up to check on mine... It stands in the corner of the closet in a gun sock... I pulled mine out and it is fine... I do keep my guns one the clean side though...

hagatha

Torque spec's?

Greetings,

I'm looking for torque specs on a choke tube? and the magazine tube nut?

any takers?

hagatha

Re: Torque spec's?

Finger tight on both counts.

Neither of these need to be torqued down.

Thanks,

Then I guess I'm having an issue with the choke tube getting loose after a few rounds...

any suggestions?

hagatha

Not sure. I've never torqued them down. Just tighten till snog and GTG. I can't say that I've ever had one work loose.

I do not use any grease or oil on the threads. Not sure if that makes a difference of not.

Re: RUST - 930 SPX

I've had my gun for a year, and it seems fine even without cleaning after every range trip. I use a humidifier where the gun is stored, and I don't have a dehumidifier. (I usually err on the side of caution when oiling -- a little more is OK, too little can cause problems.) It just gets picky about ammo when dirty.

I'd get worried if my gun is rusting. It shouldn't do that. Maybe the gun hasn't been properly blued/treated?

Spring length question...

Greetings,

I did a little reading through the threads... my findings were kind of varied.

I have a 930 SPX, added a 24" barrel, so I changed the magazine tube to a NC +5 (11.75"). Now the question is, the instruction were very vague... It said to cut the spring 16" longer than the tube...?

That leaves lots of possibilities. any one want to clarify?

Is that 16" longer than the tube? 16+11.75=27.75

Or is it referring to the tube as the mag tube on the gun?

My spring OAL is 37.5. It seems awful stiff pushing the shells in.

hagatha

Looking for a "elevator" mod?

Greetings,

What I'm looking for is a modified elevator, one with out the cutout, I've seem them on YouTube but no one gives a source...

Loading today on the range (3 gun), got in a hurry and pinched the !@#$ out of my thumb...

hagatha

"Trigger assembly pins"? Which way?

Greetings,

Leave it to the rookie, I took the pins out, to install a side saddle, and now I can't find out which way they go, does it matter from which direction they should be inserted from? And the pins have 3 grooves on one end and only 1 on the other? Which way is correct?

hagatha

Re: "Trigger assembly pins"? Which way?

I found a reference in the online manual that shows the pin removal from left to right, and the end with 3 grooves is on the right side.

anyone disagree?

Re: "Trigger assembly pins"? Which way?

hagatha said:
I found a reference in the online manual that shows the pin removal from left to right, and the end with 3 grooves is on the right side.

anyone disagree?
that's correct. if your "pin sleeves" are in the trigger group correctly then the "detent wires" will be on the right side and less likely to slip out of place with the extra grooves on either side of the normal ones.

Re: Looking for a "elevator" mod?

hagatha, best I've heard of is c-rums.com, they are done by Jeff Cockrum, it's $50 plus shipping, everyone I've ever heard talk about him has had good things to say. When I get my stuff together, that's where I'll be sending mine because you are right, that elevator is a Chinese handcuffin' SOB....

Re: Looking for a "elevator" mod?

hagatha, just got my lifter back from Jeff, looks awesome, just like it should have come from factory. Excellent work. Totally worth the money. I can't pinch my thumb in there if I wanted to now.

Bottom

Inside

Here it is installed

Like I said above, awesome!

Attachments

• 20130817_170730.jpg
    20130817_170730.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 20130817_170358 (640x480).jpg
    20130817_170358 (640x480).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 20130817_170404 (480x640).jpg
    20130817_170404 (480x640).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 149
Confusion about proper loading...

I have been reading up on my new gun and I am a bit confused. The owners manual states that the proper way of loading is to open the bolt and load a cartridge into the chamber through the ejection port. If this is so how do you use this gun for self defense? I don't want to keep one in the chamber and sure might not have time to use this method in an emergency.

Is there some reason that you cannot reliable load 7 in the magazine and fully cycle it to load it? I read several reviews on the gun and nobody talked about the best way to keep this thing ready for self defense.

Can anyone who is more experienced with this gun clarify? I have searched and read a bunch of posts and everyone seems to say you can just use the charging handle to load the first round, is this correct?

Thanks,
TC

Back