• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Maverick 88 12 ga

That's the spot. And I don't know about scratching it. I did not save any of it. I trashed it all, it ran that poorly. I wanted to like it. I thought surely for $12-15 a box it would be decent but it was not, for my gun. It might run great in yours, and I hope it does, but I will not buy any Winchester 12 gauge ammo again.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Tapatalk

Too bad you didn't keep it. I am thinking it is paint. Zinc paint to keep the steel "brass" cup from rusting. The super x stuff I got was a 1 oz light load, low brass. Probably just a light load in the same wrapper as yours. Mine are only 1 oz. loads of #6. I see yours are 1 1/8 oz. I will let you know if I have the same trouble with these. I have some running to do tomorrow. I have to drive 25 miles to get some clay birds for the trap coming, hopefully, Saturday. I will use them then. If I need to do some more experimenting I may splurge and get some heavier stuff. I am going to see if that silver color will wipe off with solvent. I think it may be a soft powder finish.

Too bad you didn't keep it. I am thinking it is paint. Zinc paint to keep the steel "brass" cup from rusting. The super x stuff I got was a 1 oz light load, low brass. Probably just a light load in the same wrapper as yours. Mine are only 1 oz. loads of #6. I see yours are 1 1/8 oz. I will let you know if I have the same trouble with these. I have some running to do tomorrow. I have to drive 25 miles to get some clay birds for the trap coming, hopefully, Saturday. I will use them then. If I need to do some more experimenting I may splurge and get some heavier stuff. I am going to see if that silver color will wipe off with solvent. I think it may be a soft powder finish.
Make sure to take some other brand ammo too, just in case.

I plan to. I need to shoot the Kentuck 45 I built a year ago.
One thing I forgot to mention is that this is not the same barrel that I had my first failures with. The OG barrel is a 28" field barrel and had only 74 rounds at the point of the first failure. This is an 18.5" and has around 400 rounds through it.

Yeah I still have issues with that crappy Winchester White box shells, I even polished my chamber which I do on all my shotguns.
Congrats on the Maverick 88 I know I really enjoy shooting mine, I got the 7+1 20" SP model. Shoots great. Gotta love shooting those slugs!

Yeah I still have issues with that crappy Winchester White box shells, I even polished my chamber which I do on all my shotguns.
Congrats on the Maverick 88 I know I really enjoy shooting mine, I got the 7+1 20" SP model. Shoots great. Gotta love shooting those slugs!
A friend gave me a whole box of Win Whitebox...I think that is what you call them. They are low brass/alum or steel finished...

So far I have had no issues with anything I am using. I do have an assortment but I don't mix em up in the tube. I have been using 3" mag #4s for coons up in the stratosphere, but so far I have got all my coons with the 20 ga Daly. It has a Poly Choke and I can change chokes in seconds. I am going to order a 24" barrel Friday and also a new Poly for it, plus a Imp/Mod Carlson choke for the 28". Later it too will get the Poly.

I do enjoy the Maverick too. That friend gave me some slugs too but somehow I always seem to forget them...ain't that a poser?

Back