• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ongoing discussion about legallity

and also, people dont understand that Shockwave Technologies got clarification from BATFE on this back in 2010, and it technically has ALWAYS been legal to build yourself one of these assuming you started with a PGO firearm.

How can it be legal to build one, but not legal to modify a factory built one? LOL

Well, I'm glad for the factory blessing, because I wouldn't want to get caught up having to defend myself in court. Aint nobody got time for dat!

Well, I'm glad for the factory blessing, because I wouldn't want to get caught up having to defend myself in court. Aint nobody got time for dat!

Are you aware that the clarification was given by BATFE, that these have been legal to build, back in 2010? Before a factory ever started producing them?

Shockwave Technology was all "hey if somebody does this, is it cool with you?" BATFE was all "yup"

Then people did it.

Then Black Aces was like "Yo, BATFE, this shit still fits within your regulations, but how about giving us a thumbs up?" And BATFE was like "no problem, its kosher!"

Then Mossberg was all "Hey, BATFE, we already know this is cool, so we did it, but can you say again that its cool?" And BATFE was all "You good fam"

Then Remington was like "yo those other fools got letters we don't need shit, lets just make a comment that says this thing aint NFA, but depending on how its modded, it could become NFA" and pumped out the TAC-14 because its all the same.

. . .
How can it be legal to build one, but not legal to modify a factory built one? LOL

Clearly you don't live in California, because we had that exact "failure of law" regarding the ARs.

But state finally figured out their error and now you cannot do either.

I just picked up a 20ga Shockwave. The 12ga manual mentions the ATF letter approving the Shockwave but the 20ga I just picked up had a copy of the ATF letter to Mossberg included in the box. I would assume that Mossberg is now including a copy of the ATF letter with all newer Shockwaves.

I just picked up a 20ga Shockwave. The 12ga manual mentions the ATF letter approving the Shockwave but the 20ga I just picked up had a copy of the ATF letter to Mossberg included in the box. I would assume that Mossberg is now including a copy of the ATF letter with all newer Shockwaves.

I actually received an ATF letter with both my 12 and 20 gauge Shockwaves. I have had my 12 gauge Shockwave for several months now. I had just assumed that Mossberg had always been including the ATF letter with the Shockwaves.

BTW - Congrats on the 20 gauge.

Best regards.

I saw both the above "Firearms" yesterday at the SHOT Show. Unfortunately Remington didn't have a TAC-14 magazine fed with a arm brace. They did have one with the birdshead and detachable magazine. It looked pretty cool.

Seeing anything else exciting @Gunhand ? I've heard shot was pretty disappointing this year.

I reckon that IWI is coming out with a bullpup shotgun of their own too.

I am still in the dark on the laws. I know in Massachusetts the laws on shotguns are 26" OAL, and barrel has to be at least 18.5" or 16" (not sure why the shorter one is in there, but I have read it somewhere...)

BUT because it's not classified as a Shotgun...

I have been to two or three shops, one in NH said I could not buy one being a Mass resident, yet a shop in Worcester ma (www.thegunparlor.com) sells them on their website. I sent them an email to ask if they legally can sell them to Mass residents. I know this shop has done some legal but questionable things in regards to selling some post ban Glocks that I thought did not have the Mass compliance in their store. They sell off brand Glock 43 lowers, and you can buy a parts kit too- My BIL has one. But you cannot buy a post ban Glock from a dealer new in Mass... Only used from a person to person transaction...

The laws and ways around them are good and yet very confusing - thats why we have such screwy laws in this state...

Okay I was confused about the Shockwave. I did not realize the barrel was so short. Yeah that would be a sure bust here.

AFAIK They don't sell those at all in California.

Mine is the Cruiser which has an 18 inch barrel.

I still have considered making a Mossy 500 with 18.5" barrel have a wooden birdshead grip, and look like a Long Barreled Shockwave

So I heard back from the shop in Worcester, they are not legal to buy in Massachusetts, by a Massachusetts resident... Yet they sell them... Maybe to law enforcement or NH residents?

So I heard back from the shop in Worcester, they are not legal to buy in Massachusetts, by a Massachusetts resident... Yet they sell them... Maybe to law enforcement or NH residents?
Per Federal regulations they have to be sold in state of residence like a handgun. So that’s odd.

Back