• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Plinker Project

Bore sighted her this morning and headed out to the range for sight-in. The first three shots of the day at 50yds yielded a .5" spread (1 MOA)...

...and here is the worst 50yd grouping of the day. It was a full ten round mag shooting fairly quickly that yielded a 1" spread (2 MOA)...

All other ten round groups averaged around .75" (1.5 MOA). I started out with 50rds of the 36gr CCI Mini Mags and then switched to 40 grain Federal Target AutoMatch bulk. All rounds performed well with not a single mis-fire or jam. The only ammo that gave me any difficulty was the Remington .22lr Golden Bullets. The bullets wouldn't even stack properly in the mag and I couldn't get through a single mag because the second round wouldn't feed. I have no issues with the ammo in my pistols, but I won't be using it in my 597 anymore. Go figure, the only rounds that gave me problems in my Remington rifle was Remington ammo.

I'm VERY pleased with the rifle's performance and can't wait to take her back out.

Were those with or without the silencer?

And if you used the silencer on it, how did it do?

I didn't take the can out this run. I was a bit short on time and wanted to get a base-line without it first. I'll take it out on the next trip for some comparison groupings.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I didn't take the can out this run. I was a bit short on time and wanted to get a base-line without it first. I'll take it out on the next trip for some comparison groupings.

I'm very interested to see how the comparison goes now that you have your unsuppressed results and the scope zero'd etc.

Most folks go by the notion that a silencer may in fact improve groupings, and in some cases, I'm sure is entirely possible.

It would also say for certain if there is any POI shift with/without the silencer/gun/ammo combination.

Looking forward to seeing the next update.

Got back out to the range with the plinker today. Took the .22 Mite to get some comparative results on target with and without the can. Put a coulpe hundred rounds down range at 50yds and most of the targets ended up looking like this one...

This was the best 3 shot group of the day, measuring 1/8" center to center...

From what I could see, there was no perceptible difference in POI whether the rifle was suppressed or not. However, the 38gr Reminton subsonic HP rounds grouped about 1.5" lower than the standard 40 grain Federal Target AutoMatch ammo. I re-zeroed the scope for the Remy subsonic and the targets pictured above were the result. The subsonic did seem to yield much more consistent results on target. I did have several FTE issues with the Remy stuff, but it still performed much better that the Remy 'Golden Bullets' I tried last week. I couldn't even get that stuff to load into the mag properly.

Back