• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

<POLL> OK, so what would you suggest I do with her now?

What would YOU do if you were me and going to almost daily carry this Bodyguard?

• Take your time and carefully remove what freckles you can. The bluing is nice.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Leave it just as she is and enjoy the "character" marks left on her.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Refinish it, which would double the price paid for it but then it'd be a real safe queen.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just carry it on your vest, in a pocket, wherever in rain and shine and hell with it.

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Guys, I didn't realize how absolutely horrible were the cell-phone pics I showed you of the used freckle-faced Model 49 Bodyguard revolver I bought yesterday. Apologies. I will now show you some more detail in better quality.

Here is the left side before I try and deal with the slight surface rust.

Closer inspection shows one rust fingerprint just to the right of the Smiff&Western die strike and a couple light pits.

The right side looks pretty good but there's a zit or two on the sideplate. The cylinder in all the pics shows barely a turn line.

Inside the open frame you can see that the crane and yoke are pretty much new....

And the cylinder face really looks like nobody has fired this thing very much....

Plus the recoil shield and firing pin bushing look like they haven't seen much opening/closing or actual firing....

The marks give her character. I'd just leave it as it is and carry her proudly.

NG nitesite,,,,,,send it to me I'll take care of it for you.;)

I agree with MikeD,,,,,

Is that your fingerprint? If not, man alive what was the PO eating to have that kind of oily skin...

<shivers>

I saw this posted and thought it had a nice look to it.

attachment.php

But I agree try to get the rust stopped and enjoy it!

I voted for just carry it but don't know if I'd go so far as "the hell with it". If any spots can be removed without making it look worse I would probably do that and take some care to keep it from getting worse. After that have enjoy it all you want.

I wouldn't dump any more money into it unless for new grips or a holster. Used guns usually have some type of character blemish or mark. I know I have put a few character marks on a couple.

That will be a nice back up. Thanks for posting the better photographs. It looks to be in really good condition.

I would wipe her down and just carry her proudly!! Oh, and definitely get rid of the finger print!! :D

This kind of rust can be easily removed with vinegar. It won't harm the gun, but it won't remove pitting. Take it apart and drop it in a container for a few hours or a day or two, then rinse off, and oil it up as usual. When it stops bubbling it's done.

I do this with old tools I pick up from time to time.

Leave the thumbprint in case you need to "drop" it. That way you won't be a suspect...the other poor SOB will be. Oh wait, you're a LEO, dammit, um, what I meant was, er, what's that on the wall? seeeee yaaaaa..... ;):):):)

my opinion, if your carrying it, its a tool. a tool with a purpose. dont baby it. but dont let it get destroyed either. it has to be able to perform its intended purpose when necessary, lord knows ive spent many thousands of dollars on other types of tools. but none of them are display pieces that hang on the wall. they work, and look just fine doing it.

Leave the thumbprint in case you need to "drop" it. That way you won't be a suspect...the other poor SOB will be. Oh wait, you're a LEO, dammit, um, what I meant was, er, what's that on the wall? seeeee yaaaaa..... ;):):):)

THAT was hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!

As I see it, if your comfortable enough for it to shoot and hit when you tell it to, it's good for carry. Nice piece.

Back