• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

question about 590s

Jason P

.22LR
im looking to buy a 590 and the one i want is 50663 i think, from buds. the finish shows blued but if u go on mossberg.com it shows it to be matte blued. i dont like shiny guns....HELP plz

Welcome aboard Mr. P,

I've seen the 590 model 50663 in person and it's definitely not shiny. My 930 Tactical below is finished in Mossberg's matte blue...

thats a good looking gun. i didnt know for sure and the gun cost 440$ and i cant aford to put no more than that in one at the time. but like i said that gun has ghost ring sights and with a striped down 590 on mossbergs site the only way u can get it is matte but at the gun store its showing to be just blued. but thx your a big help

My pleasure Sir,

I have the model 51663 as well, the "a1" parkerized version of the 50663. Side-by-side, you'd have a hard time telling them apart by looking at the finish. Keep us posted when you end up getting it. We'll need some pics and a range report...

if i choose the 50645 or 50660 can i put the ghost ring sight kit on myself or would that be something a gunsmith would have to do

I have a 590 50663. The 51663 590-A1 is a slightly more robust version with heavier barrel walls, a metal safety and a metal trigger guard.

If you buy another 5xx series and later decide you want to purchase GRS and have them installed, you will discover that buying with the sights already with the gun is the only way to go.

In the Mossberg catalog when they describe a 590 50663 Special Purpose shotgun it states a "matte blued" finish and it will never be a bright blue, such as is found on typical blued shotguns and hunting rifles. It is a subdued dull blue finish. Think of a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman vs. a Model 27 revolver or Colt Python.

The Parkerized finish on the 590-A1 51663 is a matte grey/black with a very slight tinge of green to it.

Neither one wil shoot any differently than the other.

The bluing will reflect light differently than a park'd finish and that may be what you're seeing in the photos you linked. If it's that big of a concern, why not just go with the 590a1 model 51663 with the park'd finish?

well i would like to get that model but i just cant afford the extra money. ive got a baby on the way and my old lady is about to kick my but as is. but if the gun finish looks like yours im happy with that

Gotcha,

Here's a close-up pic of my 930. You can see the matte blue on the receiver compared side-by-side to the shiny blue on the bolt...

All the image searches I come up with on the web for the model 50663 show the flat black finish. You could request an actual photo from the seller of the weapon before purchasing. That way you can see it before you drop the cash...

Jason,

Are you aware that the aluminum receiver on a Mossberg is anodized and has a dark blue/black appearance that is somewhat more light-reflective compared to the steel barrels and magazine tubes which are a more matte/dull black look. IOW, the guns are two-tone and depending on the photograph you are looking at it can be somewhat confusing.

thx guys you all have been extremely helpful. do u all know of any type of flat paint i could use to paint the gun that would stick good. maybe green,earth, or just black. i dont want it to turn out looking like a 2nd grader painted it but im handy with a paint gun/rattle can so maybe i could paint it myself. and yes nitesite i have noticed that all the 590 do have a shinny blued receiver and i hate it.

i went today and ordered my new mossy 590 model #50663 ky outdoors man said it would be here wednesday. :) just letting u all know. thanks for the help nitesite and lazy u 2 really helped me to make up my mind. i also checked into the model 51663 as lazy recommended but sadly the gun was out of stock at mossberg im guessing or wherever they ordered there guns. sry for bugging u all so much just didnt want to put that money n sumin i dont love

got my gun thursday 50663 love it the finish is perfect love the FLAT FINISH sry for the lack of trust. just figured id let you all know. old ladys orders "its to stay under the tree until the 25" but she did at least let me clean it b4 wrapping it up. i used outers nitro solvent on the entire gun and it almost looked like it was trying to take some of the bluing off. was that a no no?

Congrats on the new 590!

Don't worry about it, we're just here to help. Wouldn't expect you to take anybody's word so easily when it's your money being spent. Glad to see you're happy with the finish and our advice led you down the right path. I've never used any of the outers nitro solvent, so I can't speak to that, but I stick with CLP on mine. It's a great multi-use cleaner that does an excellent job and won't harm your finish.

I know waiting 'til the 25th is gonna be tough! Hang in there and we'll be looking forward to reading your range report...

i just figured i would let you all know i opened my gun tonight. i shot 2 shells but it was already dark i just couldnt wait until tomar to shot it. but i am gonna do a little shooting tomar evening. if you all could tell me how i could try and post some pics soon. one more thing, working the slide its not very smooth so i was just wondering if it was just because its new or if its just a 590 thing?

Congrats!

Check out the link below for info on posting pics...

Posting Pictures

As far as the action goes, have you cleaned it yet? These things ship from the factory really gunked up with grease and preservative. A good cleaning should free up the action and it'll continue to get smoother the more you shoot it...

Yeah i cleaned it b4 i let her wrap it to put it under the tree. But ive only shot it maybe 30 times. If it will ever quit raining and snowing ill get some pics and post them. What kinda slugs would u recommend?

Back