• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remington Handguns. Yes they make them.

Re: Remington's New 9mm

I think it was said best further up the thread................... FUGLY indeed.

I noticed that too, but it's not.

Here's a better view of the sights...

Did a bit more digging and found where the design DNA came from...

R51...

Remington M51...

It was produced in relatively small numbers for the civilian market between 1918-1927 and was chambered in both .32acp and .380 acp. The R51 is still ugly as a mud fence, but it makes a bit more sense now...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

What I dislike the most has nothing to do with whether it is reliable and accurate (and that debate has yet to be argued). I just can't accept the curvy elliptical lines and unnecessary serrations and "artistic" things that make it look like Remington wanted to emphasize "form over function". There are curvy lines in the slide and frame where they just don't need to be.

Good luck on finding a holster for it.

nitesite said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

What I dislike the most has nothing to do with whether it is reliable and accurate (and that debate has yet to be argued). I just can't accept the curvy elliptical lines and unnecessary serrations and "artistic" things that make it look like Remington wanted to emphasize "form over function". There are curvy lines in the slide and frame where they just don't need to be.

I'm with you there nite.

It's like those concept cars you see at auto shows. There's a reason you don't see them driving down the road. Graphic designers need to stick to marketing and leave the firearm design to the gunsmiths...

Every time I see the picture of this thing the HK VP70Z and P9S comes to mind. It's almost like Remington borrowed heavily from the two and came up with this thing.

Ultimately like the HKs I've mentioned none are going to win a beauty contest but if they work as intended your not gonna care what it looks like if your on the other end of the muzzle and need it.

nitesite said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

The more I look at it. The more it makes me think they are looking at the PPK crowd. I mean why not offer the step up from .380acp?

nitesite said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Yep - Ultra - Swoopy + Raw (simulated) Rivets! Which world are we in here Art Deco in a wrestling match with Art Brut and neither wins! Price is right and has some interesting features but...can I bring my shooting shroud!!?? :D

I have been reading/hearing bad things about the new Remington R51 handgun. This could just kill it.
From "The Truth About Guns":

We have been chronicling the incredible failure that is the Remington R51 for quite some time now. The story took its latest turn yesterday when Remington recalled offered to replace all R51s sold to date. The story started with such promise, but as the rosy marketing hype gave way to the terrible reality of the finished product there was one question we kept asking ourselves: how did this thing ever get made? According to our sources, it looks like production may have started over the fervent objections of the people who designed the gun . . .
The word we are getting from trusted sources is that Remington went into full production of the gun before the engineers were happy with its final design. Taking an older firearm and adjusting the design to use modern manufacturing processes can be difficult, and the R51 was no different.
The reason for the objections was a major safety issue identified in the testing process, namely that the slide would bind up so badly that a chambered live round would be impossible to unload. It’s an obvious hazard to the safe operation of the gun in and of itself. But an issue that big may have also been a canary in the coal mine for the engineers to find the other flaws in the action that have plagued the gun.
Remington’s own engineers objected to launching the R51, but Remington’s top brass decided to go into full production anyway. There was a known safety issue with the firearm, but they still sold it anyway. That’s not something that will engender much trust in Remington products among America’s gun buyers.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/foghorn/remington-engineers-r51-launched-objections/

I've seen and I'm sure you have as well, videos showing all the issues, the R51 could have been a great hand gun, but there were far too many glaring issues.
I hope they get things sorted, but it may never get the draw that it could have.

Even if they fix the problems, it may be too late to get the confidence of the public back.

I was interested, but now I'm over it, even if it does get fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never liked the looks of it and had absolutely zero interest in it from first sight.

Besides that, Remington has been living off the laurels of previous products for a very long time and being only part of a conglomerate company, I don't know if we will ever see truly "innovational products" from them ever again.

Sorry if this offends anyone, just calling a spade when I see one.

damn thing is fugly... Remington has been suspect for a while since the quality of their 700 has gone down and the recall to the trigger group.

Not to mention they've been iffy on the backlash against the safe act. Employees have showed up to the rallies... but the company standpoint has been very vague and non committal.

I own two Remington firearms...the bolt action 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag and the pump action 7600 in .30-06 Springfield.

Both have given me decades of unwavering service...!!

Having said that...I never did like the lines of the R51...and given all the stories on this boondoggle, I would be hard pressed to trust Remington quality and integrity again.

Here's an interesting write up about how the R51 got great press reports while the quality was tanking.

That's pretty funny, as I just today received an electronic issue of Guns magazine with an article on the R51, and how great it was.

I know things go to print months in advance, but that's pretty embarrassing.

Back