• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rimfire Rifle Pics and Discussion (non-Mossberg)

So I've had my Mossy500 for about a month now when i walked into big 5 today i saw that they had a Colt M4 Carbine 22lr for about $529. is that a reasonable price or are they overcharging? the other 22lr rifle was an ATI something or other. sorry for not having better details but i walked in about 5 mins before closing to get some shells for the 500.

Thanks Lazy... I might just go back and full out the necessary paperwork and wait my 10-11 days that u have to here in Kalifornia

Capo•C2C

911JB said:
This is a Savage/stevens group photo.

Savage5027.jpg

JB

Can anyone tell me the model number and or any other significant info on the rifle second from the bottom in that pic? Maybe even a source to purchase.

Thanks

Don't think I've posted a pic of this one in this thread yet. Mated the DPMS AP4 dedicated .22lr upper with a new DMPS lower and she's sport'n a set of Cav Arms coyote brown furniture...

Color filled the logo with some model paint and a toothpick. Used Testors GI Sand to match with the coyote brown furniture...

This one's a factory DPMS AP4 .22lr upper assembly...

22 Long Rifle AP4 Barrel Assy

It's custom forged specifically for their .22lr barrels and bolts. The entire forward assist is forged as part of the upper receiver and is non-functional...

I recently inherited my grandfather's(born in 1898, large generation gaps as Im only 29) 1937 built Winchester 697.

It's a Winchester 69, with a factory scope (which I actually think may have been replaced or upgraded, who knows, might have been donated to the war effort) and no provisions for iron sights... Thus the additional(7) to the model number(which is only a model designation in manuals and never stamped on the gun itself) this scope only model I guess is much more rare then other variants.

I grew up shooting this gun through all my boy scout years and haven't seen it since I was like 19, until this last Jan when I visited my folks and my mom told me to take it home with me... which was awesome since I was in the market for a plinking .22lr.... it even came with my last brick of ammo left over, 350rds, that I had bought when I was 18 n shot it last... of course I've since picked up a few thousand here and there when I happen upon the mythical Wal-Mart score.

here she is...

2013-05-07011521_zpsd785ac8e.png

2013-05-07011729_zps80ff01b3.png

2013-05-07011922_zpsa3641db3.png

2013-05-07003647_zps38aa49da.png

2013-05-07003921_zpsb217929c.png

2013-05-07003811_zps80e43cd9.png

The 5 round magazine came with it, along with another 5 round "short" mag(had a block in the front to accommodate shorts with no possible shifting) but my mom lost it over the years.... I got it home and managed to snag the 10rd optional Winchester made mag(rare) from some guy who found it on his shelf when cleaning and only paid$19 bucks.The custom checkering on the stock was done by my gramps himself, being a carpenter by trade(he also made a custom molded grip that fit my grandmother's hand perfectly for the .38 special revolver that went to my brother.)

This .22 Win is so cool for so many reasons, from the unique model type to the ancient weaver scope that likely was an upgrade... but more then anything it's something I grew up with, learned how to shoot with and is a connection to my grandpa that I never got to meet but always feel so close to every time I pick it up.

grandparents circa 1941...
1941jake_zps4cac5c79.jpg

0037ElsieMunce_zps1691bec0.jpg

1941elsie_zps441f2b6a.jpg

Very cool!

What a great rifle and the history behind it is priceless. Love those old family pics too. Thanks for sharing this with us...

That is a nice gun. Having the pics to go along with it really makes it an even more valuable heirloom.

Thanks guys, it's definitely a fun gun to shoot, wish I had the time, gas and ammo to get out and shoot it more... Can't wait to be able to give it to my son someday. But first he's got to learn how to handle it correctly, clean it, shoot it and learn respect for it and what it is, just like I did growing up.

I enjoyed seeing the photo's. +rep sent.

I'll have to second what all the other guys have been saying. What a great history to go along with your rifle! Priceless if you ask me!

Today, I am going to review the Skunkwirkz(LLC) 15-22 Magazine Loader for the Smith $ Wesson M&P 15-22.

DSC_0824_zps630a447d.jpg

I will be using 3 different types of magazines.

they are: 1. A stock S&W 25 round magazine
DSC_0827_zps4cc9beac.jpg

2. A S&W 10 round modified to hold 25 rounds using raven eye customs load assist tool(http://www.raveneyecustom.com/Pages/MP1522.aspx)

DSC_0828_zps2a9a4dd6.jpg

3. A Plinker Tactical 35 round magazine with the Plinker Tactical assist tool.
DSC_0825_zps3c65a653.jpg

First of, this is not the only website that I am doing this review on, so if some information seems unnecessary or extraneous, this would be why. Also, I am testing a beta unit. This is not the final product. I thank Skunkwirkz for the opportunity to be a beta tester as even in this beta version, this is an awesome product.

I'll start off with the suggestions to Skunkwirkz(LLC) for improvement. He has already read these and is making/has made corrrections for these.

The 1st is the loading tube, it is fragile. I believe he is working with someone more familiar with metals to find a sturdier material.
The 2nd issue is the need for the end user to adjust or tune, which is related to the first issue. of course this is being addressed by the use of different materials for the loading tube. I will say that mine did not need any tuning.
The 3rd issue would be packaging, but it's too early in the process to nail this down yet

Now to the fun part. I've played with this so much that I could say I have loaded and unloaded more rounds than i actually have on hand.

First, dump(yes literally dump) 25 rounds(or more for the Plinker mag), into the cartridge holder.
DSC_0843_zpse39f2f63.jpg

DSC_0844_zps772743e8.jpg

then separate out 12 rounds...notice how the round well gets less deep toward the front of the holder. this causes the cartridge to tip into the loading tube "primer" end first.
DSC_0845_zps50641bed.jpg

next, insert your mag into the loader...i am using the modified S&W with the raven eye customs loading tool...this is also where the first adjustment will need to be made. the end of the loading tube should align with the top of the magazine.
DSC_0835_zps053cdded.jpg

The next step is to align the loading tube in holder. Skunwirkz has done away with the alignment tab and now suggest trimming the cartridge holder. I have not done this yet. the reason he has done this upgrade is some beta testers have broken off the tab while trying to adjust the angle. You should have the magazine/tube in a downward angle so the round slide down the tube.
DSC_0849_zps6a20aaf3.jpg

the first round will look like this:
DSC_0850_zps2f3197ad.jpg

at this point, you will slowly pull down on the load assist buttons allowing the rounds to slowly fall into the magazine. I find it works best if you pull down, allowing 2 or 3 rounds to go in, then allow the spring back and allow the rounds correctly align/stagger.

DSC_0854_zps2804eee7.jpg

DSC_0853_zps11f34539.jpg

DSC_0852_zps58637a15.jpg

DSC_0855_zps246509b6.jpg

do this until the tube is empty and repeat until the magazine is full and again until all of your magazines are full.

now the difference between the magazines.

i prefer doing this using the raven eye customs loading tool. I have this because the S&W magazines that are 10 round long(as long as the 25 rounders, but are pinned to only hold 10 rounds) do not have load assist buttons. the raven eye buttons are a metal button. this tool is not necessary. the buttons are however.
DSC_0828_zps2a9a4dd6.jpg

DSC_0831_zps83892b18.jpg

the tool installed:
DSC_0833_zps22815221.jpg

this tool made this easier than any of my other two options.

the stock S&W mag does not have a hole in the assist button, but extra can be purchased if you have the raven eye customs tool.
DSC_0827_zps4cc9beac.jpg

a comparison between the 2 S&W mags...the blue follower is the modified 10 round mag, the orange follower is the stock 25 round magazine...notice the hole in the modified assist button.
DSC_0830_zps404aec01.jpg

I will now compare the 35 round Plinker Tactical to the Stock 25 round S&W mag.
DSC_0842_zps36ee4425.jpg

DSC_0841_zps087d56ed.jpg

DSC_0840_zps617b7d1a.jpg

Because the Plinker mag has no load assist buttons, but does have it's own loading tool, the Plinker Tactical tool must be used. when i bought this mag, i had the option, for the exact same price, of one with out the load assist tool. the last 5 rounds will not go in using the Skunkwirkz(LLC) set up because the Skunkwirkz(LLC) mag holder interferes with the Plinker tool as seen in these pics.

the Plinker tool, fuly inserted, without the Skunwikz(LLC) mag holder...
DSC_0839_zpsbf554d23.jpg

and fully inserted with the Skunkwirkz(LLC) mag holder...
DSC_0838_zpsdb8ca01c.jpg

DSC_0837_zps11167d53.jpg

i think i covered everything...except

This is "ONE STINKIN' GOOD LOADER!"

for those that have the mossberg 715t, he said if this takes off for the smith, he may adapt it for other makes of magazines.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Very nice!

Had a chance to shoot her yet? Be sure to post some pics...

nope that was the plan for today after Memorial Day things but the weather here in central Iowa has been a bit rough and lots of flooding has redirected our focus to helping friends and neighbors

I'll let you all know when I do

40-45

Wow man, sorry to see you're having to deal with the flooding.

We went through that here a few years back and it's amazing how much damage water can do. Stay safe out there...

I am going to sell my Henry Survival .22 and have the opportunity to buy a Walther G22, that fired only half a box of rounds ,at a good price.

I have been looking for info about this in the web and found more pros than cons.Good rating ¡¡¡

Any thought on this rifle from here is wellcome .Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_G22

Back