• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sight for my 590A1

BowtieBill

.270 WIN
Hey gang,
As a total noob, I do not know what, if any, sight I should add to my 590A1, model 51415.
http://www.mossberg.com/product/sho...al-purpose-tactical-light-forend-6-shot/51415
I only have the front bead sight that came with it.
I do not know what a Ghost Ring sight is, or what it is for, or if I need/want one.
Gun is for target and HD. Any advice would be appreciated.
Also, any other accessories? My Limbsaver should be on my porch when I get home tonight. Planning on picking up a case this weekend. Maybe add a sling.
Thanks,
Bill

Howdy Bill,

Best advice I can give is to take her out with the bead sight and see how she shoots for you. A bead sight is as simple as it gets for target shooting and HD. A Meprolight tritium (glow in the dark) bead may be a useful upgrade for low/no light situations, but other than that you should be good to go with a bead only set-up.

Ghost ring sights operate much like rifle sights by lining up the front sight post inside the rear ring on the receiver. They can add a bit of accuracy for shooting extended distances at the range, but are slightly more complicated than a simple bead sight. Adding GRS to your shotgun will require mounting a rear sight base on your receiver. You will also need to have a front sight post silver soldered to your existing barrel or buy a new barrel with the front sight pre-installed. If possible, try to get out to a few gun stores to see if there's a model with GRS for you to put your hands on. You may find that you like the sight picture, you may hate it.

As far as other accessories go, I'd take her out as is for the first couple times. Try a few different types/brands of ammo and get used to how she points, functions, and handles. After that, if you feel something needs improving by the addition of certain accessories then go for it. Otherwise you might end up spending money on something you don't really need.

Either way, keep us posted on how she runs for you...

Man, wish I could add somethin, but LES pretty well covered it! Nicely done!

I like bead sights, but some other options are a little more flexible with sighting in. GRS aftermarket can be expensive though.

I changed my bead sight to a Meprolight tritium bead. Its a slightly taller profile than a standard bead, easy to pick up in daylight and glows in the dark. Pretty sweet! :D

I don't know if I can link it but Ill try it!

Thanks Ross.
I did see that sight in the other thread. That might be what I end up with down the road. Sounds like it is an easy install, using the o-ring.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Yes sir, glad to help. Good lookin case...

Thanks LES. I'll let you guys know what I think of it after it arrives. Fast shipping, they say it will be here Friday.

This was one of the oldest threads I found on 51415.
Mine is on order and I was curious on the date of manufacturing so it's probably around 2012.

because of this thread, i was able to find this model online using old web links and it seemed popular from 2012-2014

https://web.archive.org/web/2012082...al-purpose-tactical-light-forend-6-shot/51415

seems the retail price was $698 back then.

I ordered a go gauge light up follower for mine as well as a bulldog case and it comes with a mossberg cord lock. Also have a limb saver pad and stock fitting side saddle.

Now I wait for all the shipping and ffl paperwork to happen.

It's my first gun and I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

I'm under stay at home so I have watched dozens of youtube regarding mossberg and shotguns and handling.

Last edited:
Back