• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

So people are really paying these prices for .22LR?!

Tom396

.30-06
Been watching for the price of .22LR to get back to "normal". No, I'm not holding my breath. I've noticed the same vendors posting the same prices for .22LR, on gunbot.net, for quite awhile now. Here's just one example: http://www.surplusammo.com/22-lr-cci...32-100-rounds/ That's .45 a round for plain old standard velocity CCI.

I can understand them asking that price, if people are going to pay it. But the stuff stays in stock. My question is this: Are people really paying these prices? Or are the vendors just hoping they eventually will?

Personally, I'm waiting for about .07 per round, before I start buying .22LR again. I'm more tolerant of the slightly higher prices on other calibers/gauges. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
Been watching for the price of .22LR to get back to "normal". No, I'm not holding my breath. I've noticed the same vendors posting the same prices for .22LR, on gunbot.net, for quite awhile now. Here's just one example: http://www.surplusammo.com/22-lr-cci...32-100-rounds/ That's .45 a round for plain old standard velocity CCI.

I can understand them asking that price, if people are going to pay it. But the stuff stays in stock. My question is this: Are people really paying these prices? Or are the vendors just hoping they eventually will?

Personally, I'm waiting for about .07 per round, before I start buying .22LR again. I'm more tolerant of the slightly higher prices on other calibers/gauges. Take care. Tom Worthington.

images

People are absolutely paying these prices.

Buddy of mine at work just paid $40 for a 325rd bulk pack of Federal .22lr and felt like he got a good deal. He just bought an M&P 15-22 and has no previous experience buying .22 ammo. When you figure that a vast percentage of the firearms flying off shelves these days are going to new gun owners, it stands to reason that many of them have no idea what price ammo should be. All they know is what prices are right now and that they're lucky to find any ammo at all...

$40 is a hell of a deal compared to the $150 prices I've been seeing online. its just unreal

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
...When you figure that a vast percentage of the firearms flying off shelves these days are going to new gun owners, it stands to reason that many of them have no idea what price ammo should be...

Ah ha. Excellent point. Hadn't considered that pretty obvious answer. :oops: Take care. Tom Worthington.

MikeD said:
$40 is a hell of a deal compared to the $150 prices I've been seeing online. its just unreal

I agree. I still don't plan on paying .12 a round for .22LR either, but finding even that low of a price is getting to be unusual. I guess some folks are paying what they ought to be paying for .357 mag or .40 S&W. :( Take care. Tom Worthington.

I'm surprised at the prices down there. Usually we pay way more here in Canada on just about everything. Considering 99.9% of ammo and supplies are coming here the lower 48 or overseas I would have thought you guys would be way better off.

I just bought CCI Stingers for .14 per round and CCI Mini-Mags for .08 per round right off the shelf in a local store.

Well, our BS legislators are the best ammo salesmen in the world.

I'll bet every one of the folks proposing these new laws and bans has bought stock in firearms and ammo companies...

Jeez....there's optimism for you!! ;)

Or maybe you're just jealous cuz you didn't get there first!! :lol:

Optimism is for the folks that voted for these clowns.

I haven't bought .22lr ammo in over a year and have enough to keep me shoot'n until the political tides turn...

Those types of people are the same on both sides of the border my friend. Opportunists I think they're called...to be polite!

...and I keep hoping to buy more than I shoot so I do not deplete my stock. Last week I was okay buying some match 22 as it interests me and I'm shooting casual 22 (andmore) challenges. Today though I passed on Hornady 223 55gr jhpbt at .17 a bullet when I have aLOT stowed in single digits - that I load and shoot from. I also caved and bought a few hundred rounds of low end Aguilla (Conquistador?) lead 40 gr. could be fine - not much on line - no big loss but still .12 a round for?!?! Wha.

What's the next new now - dunno! When do I replace depleted stock. Right now I'm working from the place of shop hard and buy the best possible now (mostly reloading supplies) - cost average the total and hope for the best.

I'll pick on another few calibers tomorrow. Did I mention the WWB 100 pack with the $9.99 sticker in one of my boxes. Not a fan any more. I'll shoot it for muzzle flip practice and collect the brass. I can't reload for that now or - barely!

I guess we've been fortunate here. However, it just might be that the demand for ammo is so much less here than south of the border that our stocks haven't suffered as much...but that may yet change if the shortage continues. Some calibers seem to be a little less available but stock has been rolling in. I had no problem picking up CCI 22LR, Federal and Winchester .270 Win yesterday. To be sure, I will continue buying what I can afford, in order to bring my ammo cache to a satisfactory level. So much instability and weird goings on within our (collective N. A.) borders. Makes one....uncomfortable.

My fiance was quite happy that I had stocked up over 10,000 .22LR before this craziness began...I could not imagine paying the prices I see them going for right now...

Nice Dan!

If you had a mind to, you could instantly become the nations #1 supplier of .22lr ammo... :lol:

I still can't wrap my head around what some folks are trying to get for .22 these days. Insane. I suppose some have been desperate enough to pay it so they keep trying.

If only you could reload rimfire like a centerfire. Sadly the sellers know they got us all by the balls in that department here in the good ol US of A. Interesting to see our Canadian brothers up north are still able to get it for resonable pricing.

jgwills said:
I still can't wrap my head around what some folks are trying to get for .22 these days. Insane. I suppose some have been desperate enough to pay it so they keep trying.

If only you could reload rimfire like a centerfire. Sadly the sellers know they got us all by the balls in that department here in the good ol US of A. Interesting to see our Canadian brothers up north are still able to get it for resonable pricing.
Sucks that some are trying to gouge the uninformed or those who have been caught short.

Interesting for sure...but I'm not taking it for granted. Our shortage may still be to come. I have a hard time believing we're receiving new shipments of ammo and you guys are still without in many places.

However, if the manufacturers are separating shipments for Canada before they go to re-sellers then I guess that could explain it. I suppose it depends on how many Canadian retailers are buying directly from the factories rather than through a middle man.

Hopefully the supply will catch up with demand.

So it would seem that some of our reserves of ammo, especially 22LR are now diminishing. The larger stores still have dribs and drabs inbound but the LGS's are generally out of 22LR and 9mm.

I've got 300 rds of CCI mini-mags coming but nothing else confirmed. LGS said he might get some CCI 22LR next week. 12ga (birdshot, slugs and #00 #000) and .270 Win seem plentiful enough. 30.30 Win is harder to come by, can't seem to find any 170gr.

Store pricing has not changed with the elevated demand...at least not yet. I really went on an ammo hunt the last few days and have visited quite a few stores. Story seems the same for both large and small retailers.

I would guess if ammo doesn't start rolling into your stores soon, the trickle down shortage will continue to develop here; it will likely get worse before it gets better. That would suck, cuz we're heading into prime time soon. Last year we couldn't get clays to save our souls...none to be had til the end of the season. Now this year, just watch the 12ga ammo and 22LR will disappear!! :cry:

Yeah, I let my oldest son go out in the side field to plink, I never thought about giving him an ammo limit, hour later he comes back inside and I asked him where his ammo was (he had taken a box of 500) he just looked at me like a deer in headlights, that’s when I knew it was all gone. I checked every store in a 50 mile radius of us, not a single box anywhere, at Wal-Mart they have guys that wait until the morning truck is unloaded to see if they get any ammo. I checked all over the internet looking for bulk sales, I found one site selling boxes of 325 rds for $116 + shipping…. I almost fell out of my chair, I was really mad that I had to get a new box of 325rds out of my SHTF box…… My wife had to go to Detroit to see her grandmother who’s in bad shape, I had her stop by Bass Pro Shops, they are still selling boxes of 500 rds for $24.99 but it’s a first come first serve when it’s in stock, which is from what I heard 1 hour after it’s unloaded….. We live in some crazy times.

Back