• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stand yer ground

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Y'all want my broccoli? Come and take it! ;) A little rural Americana :mrgreen: :D

stand.jpg~original

Just like I see in Detroit down on 8-Mile...but that's a different kind of hoe...... :twisted:

Seriously though, I'm jealous of your garden, It puts my planter boxes to shame. I really need to find the time to till up a patch in the back, I say I'm going to do it every year and never find the time til it's too late.

Mike it's not a very big garden - about 2000sqft. We grow and preserve most of our veggies, plus the usual salad stuff. A lot of work, but we like homegrown better than store bought. And we trade with others in the community who grow what we don't and vice versa. Some we just give away if we harvest more than we'll need, which is usually the case. Works out well all around. :)

If you're seriously planning a garden for next year, you should start preparing the ground before this fall.

That is a lot nicer than our garden so far.

We just got some stuff in the ground a few days ago. We've been trying to wait until the frosts are over, which I hope was last Sunday night.

So far, we have some onions, sweet corn, summer squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers and sweet banana peppers in the ground. Waiting a couple more weeks before putting the white half runner beans in the ground with the corn so we don't have to run strings. We'll let the beans use the corn stalks is why we are waiting for the corn to get a good head start so the beans don't smother them out. And all my seeds this year are heirlooms. :cool:

Just about all the blooms are now off of the jonathan apple trees, and I am hoping for a good bunch of apples this fall to put in the deep freeze too.

It's hard to beat my Grandmothers recipe for fresh fried apple pies when snow is on the ground.

I would also kinda like some fresh home made blackberry wine late this summer too.

last couple of years i've been growing more and more in containers.(lot less weeds,,,,,easy on the old back). usually plant tomatoes,cuc's,hot peppers,romain,sweet onions,egg plants,basil.
also a small raised bed garden with any extra plants i pick up.
some pics from last year,,,,

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 324
we got sweet corn, zucchini, watermelon, pumpkin, cantaloupe, pablano, habanera, jalapeno, leaks, carrots, 3 kind of tomatoes, cucumbers, chives, basal, cilantro
in the ground last week.....
garlic has been in all winter and should be ready in June

Quite a variety of goodies y'all are growing :)

See all those trees in the pic? There's about about 80 acres of it (mine + neighbors) and it's full of critters who think I plant all this just for them. So I was thinking about getting that pic blown up to life size and making a few plywood cutouts to place around the garden. Think it might deter them? ;)

GunnyGene said:
Y'all want my broccoli? Come and take it! ;) A little rural Americana :mrgreen: :D

stand.jpg~original

,,,,,,kidding aside Gunny,,,what do you grow inside the fence behind you in the pic?

80+ acres,,,lots of critters.

I grew upon 70 acres of timber in the Cascades, fed us for years....when the folks pass on I'll probably live the rest of my days there

Alright, fellow gardeners! Cool spring has me behind.
In the ground - 3 types of onions, red beets, potatoes, garlic, carrots, dill, cilantro, catnip for the cat and mint tea.
Going in - 4 kinds of tomatoes, sweet and jalapeno peppers, cucumbers, sweet corn and sweet potatoes.
Fruit: strawberries, black raspberries, grapes, blue berries, 3 apple, 2 peach and 3 cherry trees.
Need to get into: hops, maybe next year.

Gunny reminded me about gardening with my Dad when I was a kid. He had up a big Gadsden flag at the garden but it said "don't tread on my garden"

old mossy said:
,,,,,,kidding aside Gunny,,,what do you grow inside the fence behind you in the pic?

80+ acres,,,lots of critters.
That's not a fence. Just 4" fabric for peas and beans, which are just starting to come up. In front of me is broccoli, butter head lettuce, radishes, green onion, and out of picture is 4 varieties tomatoes, cukes, okra, zucchini, eggplant, mustard, 3 varieties of peppers, and yellow squash. Planted 3 blueberry bushes outside the garden 2 years ago. Also have a small herb bed not shown.

Oh, camera is pointing north in the pic.

,,,,another nice crop working. :D
i envy you guys in the warmer areas. i was just able to plant today because on the cold spring. it was 38 the other night.

now i want to hear what everyone is using for fertilizer.

i turn over the earth and add some dehydrated cow poop.
lots of earth worms in the dirt. :D

old mossy said:

Lime.

And before it was so dad gum hard to get, ammonia nitrate.

That stuff would grow a rock if you put a pebble in it. Very good fertilizer indeed.

Gunny, my grandmother always made some noise makers on strings and tied up on things. Strings that were stretched between the rows, around the plot, nearby tree limbs, etc. Just wherever you needed them.

Her favorite noisemakers to use were those aluminum pie pans. When the wind blows, they move AND bang and clang around and they glisten and shine and reflect light making critters see it and think something's coming to get them.

I just got to the market and grab what I need lol... No room for a garden when you patch of grass is a measured 2' x 4' with a tree in the middle haha

Great looking garden, Gunny!

old mossy said:
,,,,another nice crop working. :D
i envy you guys in the warmer areas. i was just able to plant today because on the cold spring. it was 38 the other night.

i turn over the earth and add some dehydrated cow poop.
lots of earth worms in the dirt. :D

Best there is, but y'all yankees can't get it up there :mrgreen: . Cottonseed meal. I get it from the local gin for free and let it cook for a couple months. Smells really bad, but it's like running nitro in a car. Till in a couple pickup loads on the garden every year.

hey Rick,if you look in the middle of the pic you will see a black hanging basket i made. it has 3 tomato plants growing out the bottom and a basil plant out the top.
no need for a big patch of dirt,,,,just a hook. :D

here's a better pic

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 275
Back