• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stand yer ground

John A. said:
old mossy said:
now i want to hear what everyone is using for fertilizer.

Lime.

And before it was so dad gum hard to get, ammonia nitrate.

That stuff would grow a rock if you put a pebble in it. Very good fertilizer indeed.

Gunny, my grandmother always made some noise makers on strings and tied up on things. Strings that were stretched between the rows, around the plot, nearby tree limbs, etc. Just wherever you needed them.

Her favorite noisemakers to use were those aluminum pie pans. When the wind blows, they move AND bang and clang around and they glisten and shine and reflect light making critters see it and think something's coming to get them.

I have it fenced for the rabbits, etc. and also planted garlic chives around the fence line. Most small critters don't like the smell so avoid it. I run mono filament around the top of the fence posts and tie on white plastic grocery bags to keep the deer out. Seems to work so far (going on 10 years).

GunnyGene said:
old mossy said:
,,,,another nice crop working. :D
i envy you guys in the warmer areas. i was just able to plant today because on the cold spring. it was 38 the other night.

now i want to hear what everyone is using for fertilizer.

i turn over the earth and add some dehydrated cow poop.
lots of earth worms in the dirt. :D

Best there is, but y'all yankees can't get it up there :mrgreen: . Cottonseed meal. I get it from the local gin for free and let it cook for a couple months. Smells really bad, but it's like running nitro in a car. Till in a couple pickup loads on the garden every year.

sounds like good stuff.

i used to go to the poultry farm and get a few buckets of chicken crap. bring it home and put some in a bucket,,,,fill with water,,,,let it sit a few days,,,,,filter off the water and water the tomatoes with it.
;)

oli700 said:
salmon , alfalfa meal

i have a neighbor is always burying fish heads in his garden.

i guess we all have our "special stuff". whatever floats yer boat. :)

,,,,,all i know after planting today,,,i'm ready for that first summer tomato. :D

I haven't planted yet. Frost was here for a few days. This weekend I'm tilling in some cow poo I get from my landlord. He just dropped a load of it today...mmmm....

I'll be growing some tomatas beans corn lettuce hot peppers! and watermelons!

You can grind up the salmon or lay out spawned salmon and build the rows on top of them....

ripjack13 said:
I haven't planted yet. Frost was here for a few days.
We had a frost this week too but it should be the last. I'll get the warmer weather plants in this weekend.

In the fall I mulch up leaves and cover the garden with them. They are turned under in the spring. Sometimes I hit it with lime too. I don't use much fertilizer. The tomatoes get Miracle Grow for Tomatoes. The blue berry bushes like it acidic so the soil gets some acid. Lately I have been burying the leftovers after cleaning the fish we catch. I keep pesticides out of the garden but the fruit trees would yield nothing without being sprayed for bugs now and then.

Ugh this thread has me wanting to start up a garden. Nothing like fresh tomatoes and strawberries.

Can I do hangings for both of them? I live in a rural area, the damn deer and rabbits eat everything on the ground, no fence. I've seen those hangings for tomatoes and strawberries an was wondering how good they yield.

NYmossyMike said:
Ugh this thread has me wanting to start up a garden. Nothing like fresh tomatoes and strawberries.

Can I do hangings for both of them? I live in a rural area, the damn deer and rabbits eat everything on the ground, no fence. I've seen those hangings for tomatoes and strawberries an was wondering how good they yield.

I tried one of the hanging strawberry thingies last year and it was a total fail. Cool concept but for whatever reason it didn't work for me.

build a fence for your garden, the only mostly sure way....if critters are eating it on the ground they will get to it hanging......but the hanging pots do work, small yield for the work in it

MikeD said:
Just like I see in Detroit down on 8-Mile...but that's a different kind of hoe...... :twisted:

Seriously though, I'm jealous of your garden, It puts my planter boxes to shame. I really need to find the time to till up a patch in the back, I say I'm going to do it every year and never find the time til it's too late.

come on Mike get the tiller out,get some plants in the ground. :D

I'm behind schedule but I got the rest of my warm weather plants in this week. Usually they're in mid May. The strawberries are being picked now. Weeds were doing nicely too but I got caught up with that too.

we just got our April rains,,,,,a month late.
today it was in the 80's,,,,looks like we're a month behind with the weather.
green's are coming up strong. :)
there is nothing like that first summer tomato. :D

I much prefer the taste of home grown veggies over store bought.

They really do taste better when you grow them yourself. Not sure if that's due to the greenhouse, or what.

I especially don't like grocery store canned beans. I don't like the taste, I don't like the artificial colors and flavors. I won't eat them in any shape form or fashion from any brand.

Home canned from fresh grean beans are a different story though. They taste much better.

The canned store bought crap are always squeaky when I chew them. It's been a few years since we've bought them. I love fresh. My farmer biddy has fields full of corn planted. So he lets me go there n pick em. Yummmy!!

I think that's about what we have in sweet corn too Oli.

I didn't go overboard this year and just planted one long row of corn.

But out of that row, we'll have quite a bit for the deep freezer. We just pull them off the stalk and put them straight into the deep freeze until we get ready to eat them.

now you're talkin'.

Drown the corn and baked potato with butter until it's dripping. That's a requirement.

Anybody else ever churn their own butter?

MMMMmmmmmm, Mmmmmm.

Y'all are starving me out this morning.

Back