• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stand yer ground

It's not hard at all, but is time consuming and an extra pairs of hands is always better unless you're glutton for punishment because it'll feel like your arm is going to fall off after a while. :lol:

I also like to add some salt to taste.

But it's been years since I've done it.

Just a little insight, real butter is white, not yellow as Blue Bonnett and Country Crock would have you believe ;)

edit:

Here's a pretty good video of the process, although the churn that my Mammaw had was a wood dowel with another piece of wood that was a little smaller diameter than the lid hole so you could get it out and wash it, but hers, you had to pull the churn up and down instead of cranking it.

Same general process though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9MJNSsTpY[/youtube]

You guys are killing me with this food talk. Can't wait for sweet corn either. How do you guys cook corn on the cob? Most around here dehusk and boil it. I prefer steamed in the husk but my favorite is roasted. We build a fire and rig a steel plate over. The corn is soaked in water and then cooked on the plate covered with wet burlap. A lot of work but worth it. I usually do it a few times a summer, usually in conjunction with some slow smoked ribs or grilled steaks. Add an ice cold Yeungling...oh yeah.

We have a little corn in the garden but it's grown locally on farms and is dirt cheap at the peak of the season.

Thanks for the butter video. I need to try making it at home. If the improvement is close to home made iced cream over store bought sign me up.

Boil or BBQ.....and not the gas BBQ because thats not real, your method sounds good over the fire

oli700 said:
Boil or BBQ.....and not the gas BBQ because thats not real, your method sounds good over the fire

Yes, I should have been more clear...real hard wood charcoal for grilling.

If you do the roasted corn keep a water source near to keep it a little wet or it will burn fast.

Don't have a garden, but I was able to plant my tree this year. :) I've had it in the shed and house for the past 3 years since it was about a foot tall and about pencil thick... Finally substantial enough to actually plant in the ground.
y3atyhuz.jpg

Japanese "Blood Good" Red Maple

Here's some June pics of the progress:
994166_10200252807786375_1510584405_n.jpg

1013415_10200252807266362_1702478921_n.jpg

10169_10200252789665922_133944674_n.jpg

1016606_10200252807866377_1143986115_n.jpg

Our big ol' Tomcat found the catnip bush.

Grapes are ripe now. They were a little sour last week but are perfect now. This cool summer has the peaches way overdue. They should be picked by now and are still green and hard. Tomatoes didn't do as well either. Sweet potatoes are taking over the place but I won't know how they did until we did them up.
1173793_10200543591375783_1010247279_n.jpg

We didn't try to grow any sweet potato's, but regular potatoes didn't do real good here this year. They vined and grew really well above ground, just didn't have any potato's much worth mentioning when we started digging them up.

Hope yours' do much better.

As for grapes, my Moms next door neighbor has them growing along the entire length of fence in their back yard.

They were there from the previous owner of the lot next door and to my knowledge, Jim (the new owner) hasn't picked the first one in the 10 or 12 years he's lived there.

Back