• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stopped for a grocery item and came home with .22LR ammo!!!

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

I got off work this morning at 6:00 and stopped by a WalMart to buy a whole chicken for feeding to the dogs. And for some reason, I stopped by the sporting goods dept to (again) see the normally-empty shelf of .22LR ammo.

I don't know why I even bothered, because I haven't been able to buy .22 ammo off a store shelf in almost two years. Yet I hadn't really minded that much because I can shoot a lot of cast lead centerfire for about $7/100 (about the price of CCI Mini-Mag rimfire). To be honest, I only check Academy and WalMart for .22LR every couple of months when I think about it because I'm already in their store. I simply haven't needed it that badly 'cuz I have other stuff to shoot.

And TODAY...... Lo-and-behold there was a single lonely 550-rd box of Federal 36-gr hollow points there staring at me thru the glass! Well, I just asked to see an associate who could help me, and I was told that Wal-Mart doesn't sell guns or ammo between 11P-7A.

Damn.

I chose to wait the forty-five minutes until the magic hour when the glass case would magically open for me. (It turned out to be more like 7:15AM when the dept lead with the cabinet key came to help, a full hour since I got there). I felt like a complete idiot for even wasting an hour of my precious sleep time for this crap.

Then the Mighty Key-Holder lady appeared......

I asked if they had only that one box, or maybe had just two or three more boxes... because I would have left those two other boxes for the next guys who might have been trying to find some so they could go shoot with their kids. I could live with just one box. She assured me that at any minute the "creepy little men" as she called them would soon be clamoring into the Sporting Goods Department to see if there was any .22 ammo, "just like they do every morning, the same three or four creepy men who have been coming here every day for a year." She said she has grown to despise them.

But the reward was that she told me there was plenty more than that one box and I could buy a limit of three. She had twenty boxes. She hadn't seen that much come in on one shipment in months.

So I bought three 550-rd bulk packs (and the chicken I originally went there for) and I am now home, ready to sleep some before going back in to work again this evening.

Got the Federal ammo for 4.3-cents per round which I am okay with.

That is all. Carry on.

Jealous I am. Then again I haven't shot .22lr in 3 years.

Taking my mom out to the range Thursday so she will go to town on my savage mkII

Jealous!!!

Nice Find!

I know what you mean about not shooting .22LR in years.

I counted my .22 ammo recently and decided to "just hold on to what I've got" because of "the shortage". Shame is, I have several .22 guns that are being ignored when really they should be shot like they are pellet rifles and pellet pistols!!!

The ammo I will most likely not shoot until I again see it on store shelves at decent prices?

Green Tag, Wolf Match Extra, CCI Stingers, CCI Mini-Mags, CCI Small Game Bullet (SGB), Remington Yellow Jackets and Vipers...

This small windfall at least gives me a little bit of FUN TIME with my rimfires for a couple of weekends.

Then it might be back to a couple years of not shooting them again.... :(

Nice score. The only thing better would have been free beer. It pays to check and get lucky now and then.

I'll be entirely honest, I have catered to the notion of buying one of those 1250 fps pellet rifles just because I cannot get 22 ammo.

I'm sure there is a government suit reading this in his little cubicle proclaiming that "It's working".

Dang nitesite you must have a horse shoe up in thar son!
It's only available through those"creepy little men" or pawn shop gougers 'round these parts. :mad:

Find out what time those creepy little men come in and get there ahead of them.

I've been noticing more ammo on the shelves but it's still hit or miss and still not .22lr that I have seen. Maybe the creepy little men are just getting there before me. ROFL.

My local ( closest to me) Wallyworld, I have yet to see the same personnel in/at the ammo area and when asked cannot or will not tell me when the ammo is to come in. I have an app "Ammo Badger" that is supposed to let me know ammo availability in my area,but it is hit or miss-mostly miss. :mad:

digging through the .22 stash a couple weeks ago and three of my CCI mini mag bricks have price tags that read $8.99.

I admit it-I be a dumb butt. The app is "BrassBadger". I use the term "app" as it is supposed to be on my Iphone,but my mobile won't load it.

digging through the .22 stash a couple weeks ago and three of my CCI mini mag bricks have price tags that read $8.99.
Hey Oli, I'll give you $18 each if you're looking to double your investment.:)

I've been getting bulk .22 rather regularly at my wal mart. Sometimes you hit it just right. But you have to be persistent about going there. Tonight I had 2 guys complain about the .22 situation but then poo pooed the idea of waiting. So myself and a few others got our .22 bulk boxes while they
were home sittin on their hind ends.

I think those Creepy Little Men are in need of a good mugging... ;)
dont look now, ^^, don't forget the cameras in the parking lot......lol.

Actually unless one has a little shooter on the learn, unable to tame any centerfire, unable to utilize air guns........This little quest for .22 long rifle that everyone is obsessed with is pathetic as hell.
I am actually embarrassed for people I hear whining like little girls at the counter about no .22, how its a conspiracy walking away mumbling about how unfair it is.....mostly its men from their late 40's to late 60's.
take up archery or slingshots or something that dosent require me to see some balding wrinkled up old pu$$y moping around the gun cleaning isle getting tears all over the RemOil

dont look now, ^^, don't forget the cameras in the parking lot......lol.

Actually unless one has a little shooter on the learn, unable to tame any centerfire, unable to utilize air guns........This little quest for .22 long rifle that everyone is obsessed with is pathetic as hell.
I am actually embarrassed for people I hear whining like little girls at the counter about no .22, how its a conspiracy walking away mumbling about how unfair it is.....mostly its men from their late 40's to late 60's.
take up archery or slingshots or something that dosent require me to see some balding wrinkled up old pu$$y moping around the gun cleaning isle getting tears all over the RemOil

Hehehehehehe

I was very pleasantly surprised when I dug my old reloading gear out that I had several hundred cast .38/.357 bullets that I did not know I had. That will make for some nice plinking. :-D

hell yeah, fun shooting right there.....and that Contender barrel loves low powered wad cutters

Back