• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Mountain Provides.....Spring Time

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
If you harvest from the wild post it here…..game, berries, mushrooms…..As things come into season here I want to post them here, if I can remember :D

Today was 70 degrees and the Morels are making an appearance…..lotta happy shroomers in the mountains today !

I don’t eat them but my family loves them and I’ll cook them up on Easter. At 20 bucks a pound it can be lucrative as well

0329131212a95215230_zpsced0eb55.jpg

0329131139a95275204_zps17319ab4.jpg

0329131131b95201613_zpsbd380045.jpg

Re: The Mountain Provides

Omg! CRKT M-16 tanto's grow out in the wild!? Suh-weet!!

Re: The Mountain Provides

thats one fine mushroom killer right there, the angle on the tip is perfect lol

Just found a bunch of Crawdads in the creek on the dog walk….spring has sprung around here for sure
Again I’m not that adventurous on food, but I have family that loves them so I always collect them when I see them.

0329131743b95289567_zpsa341002d.jpg

Glad to see you call crawdads by the right name.

That's what I always called them too.

But we call morels Hickory Chickens.

Breaded and fried BABY. ;)

I also boil crawdads and lightly salt the meat with garlic salt. MMmmm.

We have a creek about 150 feet away from our house that's full of crawdads, minners and water moccasins :lol: Matter of fact, it's bordering outlaw98z's place.

Spring has been trying to spring here, but we still have some snow laying.

For about a week, it was in the 70's, then everything just went down hill for a while.

Never heard of them called Hickory Chickens yet.....what do you bread them with?
Never see them breaded much and I want to cook them up a different for my folks this year

oli700 said:
Never heard of them called Hickory Chickens yet.....what do you bread them with?
Never see them breaded much and I want to cook them up a different for my folks this year

flour or corn meal either one, but I like white flour a little better.

wash them off good in cold water, split them the length of the mushroom so you can get more on the plates after you are done.

Bread them in a ziplock with a bunch of flour in it and shake them around good so they get covered with flour, and heat some crisco and butter up in the skillet real hot and fry them like you would chicken or catfish.

Salt to taste.

That's the only way I've ever seen anyone eat them.

But remember, people from the south fry everything. :lol: :lol:

ok, its about the same without the flour. I usually fry them in butter , dice a clove or two of garlic, from the garden, throw that in. Put them on elk.....I love the elk but mushrooms taste like dirt to me :lol:

Maple sugar cured ham for Easter this year but my mom still want morels , so morels she will have but I am going to mix corn meal and flour and bread them.....because I'm crazy like that :cool:

Yep....I have a ton of wild strawberries and blueberries in my backyard. They strawberries already are showing buds!

John A. said:
Glad to see you call crawdads by the right name.

Sorry, us eastern Yankees call them craefish. I like to eat them though. Morels are popular here. People collect and sell them for big money to restaurants in the city.

ripjack13 said:
Yep....I have a ton of wild strawberries and blueberries in my backyard. They strawberries already are showing buds!
look man, you can atleast take a crappy cell pic like me.
No wild blue berries here.....got black barriers, raspberries, thimble barriers, black caps......some others

no mountains here on long island,,,,but spring time is here,,,,, :)

Attachments

• lobster.jpg
    lobster.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 309
Blackberries are in full bloom here right now. All over the place.

Honeysuckles are a nice treat too, but you'd starve to death trying to get a big sip of them :)

Damn fellas, that's awesome!

All we've got growin around our place are wild onions. Plenty of honeysuckle too, boy I love that smell. Had a couple friends throwin big parties last weekend centered around bawlin up some mudbugs. We throw 'em in a big pot with corn on the cob, mushrooms, red taters, and enough cayenne pepper & other seasoning to sufficiently light your @$$ on fire. We reuse the water and by the third or fourth batch the first timers are about ready to spontaneously combust... :lol:

Spring time here in Flint as well, but I'll spare you the pics of emo kids wandering the plains and skating in the local parking lots.

oli700 said:
ripjack13 said:
look man, you can atleast take a crappy cell pic like me.
No wild blue berries here.....got black barriers, raspberries, thimble barriers, black caps......some others

:lol:
Ok ok...I'll get some tomorrow and post em up.

Back