• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The reality of gun confiscation

". but changing social views of gun ownership will make it more difficult to bring new, young people into the pro-2A movement and within a few generations the voice will grow smaller....harder to hear......until the views are only held by a small group of holdouts. The fight will be gone. No military will be needed to confront or confiscate. The masses will have handed over their only tool of freedom for a false sense of safety and security. Those of us who choose to hold out will simply be allowed to die off.....no fighting needed."

Tim, perhaps it seems that way now, but as you said "changing social views of ....." . I've been around long enough to have seen social views change several times, so there's no reason to think they won't change again in a very few years. The pendulum swings and swings back again.

I remind myself, when I'm feeling despondent, of what Old Ben replied when asked what form of government had been given them: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it." I think we can keep it.

Frank Castle said:
Unfortunatly one of my leaders is Feinstein. To me it is a hurry up and wait game. She is hell bent on her agenda. I dont think anything I Mail, Email, and Call in on will not make a diffrence with her.

However, local government is a diffrent thing. Sheriff, City PD, and Mayor are receiving Correspondence.

Frank
Feinstein is NOT in my circle BUT she gets a weekly note from me (each updated and new) that she can Add to her "people who think I am wrong" stack or whatever she chooses to do with it but sending is better than not. I hit my people (Roy Blunt is comingg off as a good supporter!) AND other well paced folks - Cantor, Biden, Pelosi, more - a pretty good list.
Any communication that becomes a mark on the "against" list is better than not trying. We may never know but we must always speak!!

GunnyGene said:
Tim, perhaps it seems that way now, but as you said "changing social views of ....." . I've been around long enough to have seen social views change several times, so there's no reason to think they won't change again in a very few years. The pendulum swings and swings back again.

I remind myself, when I'm feeling despondent, of what Old Ben replied when asked what form of government had been given them: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it." I think we can keep it.

I understand what you are saying Gunny in regards to the pendulum swinging back and forth, but if you look closely and honestly you'll see that the pendulum never swings quite all the way back......a little bit is lost with every swing. Like CarbineMike said, what is abhorrent to one generation is tolerated by the next and openly accepted by the next. My first trip through college was as a Pre-Med Psychology major, I've got degrees in both psychology and sociology and the amount of social engineering that has been accomplished in this country in the past 50 years is mind blowing. It's a science........the human mind is nowhere near as complex as some like to pretend and the secrets of guiding it aren't exactly secrets. Social stigmatization is a tool that has unbelievable power.....it's why making a statement perceived as "racist" puts you somewhere on the hate scale between a puppy puncher and a serial killer......it's why the Boy Scouts have agreed to look into changing moral policies that have guided them since they started in order to avoid being labeled as "homophobic".......it's why being a successful business owner or head of a large company is now viewed by many as a bad thing. They call it progress, but true progress happens on its own......it doesn't need the help of media saturation. It's all about controlling the swing of that pendulum. Push it far enough over for long enough and the people forget where it even started.

The quote by Franklin is one of my favorite, but the sad fact is that the Republic that was originally intended is long gone. Lincoln put the nail in the coffin when he chose to give the Federal Government power above that of previously sovereign states through military force. He began the process of turning our Constitutional Republic into a Constitutional Democracy. Primary legal powers were intended to reside within the individual States.......They understood that Georgia knew what was best for Georgians and Virginia knew what worked best for Virginians. They respected the fact that each State and its people were unique......not some modern day PC "we're all the same" line of crap. The Republic is gone and cannot be brought back without the destruction of the huge, centralized Federal Government that we have created.......Ben would roll over in his grave.

I can't disagree, Tim. You make some good points. I don't have your medical background, but did take Psyc 101, and I understand what you're saying. So the question becomes: How do we avoid further deterioration in the patients condition? I'm not inclined to just walk away from the problem.

PS: Have you ever dived into cultural anthropology? In particular some works by Marvin Harris; "Cannibals and Kings" ? I'd be interested in your opinions as it pertains to our current culture.

GunnyGene said:
How do we avoid further deterioration in the patients condition? I'm not inclined to just walk away from the problem.

I really like this analogy, our country as a dying patient. But this was no acute onset of the Spanish flu. Our country is that grumpy a$$ in the back room that the nurses avoid. The one who was a 30 year chain smoker who drank too much on the weekdays, and not enough on weekends.

I think certain generations have been indoctrinated for a long while now. Wasting time, sweat and tears on trying to create a paradigm shift in those people would be futile. I think the only way we'll see a change, not just in actions, but a true change that returns our people to rewarding hard work, dedication and traditional values is by teaching our children (maybe the neighbors too??). They will be the ones to pick up the proverbial pitch fork in the future to continue fighting for their rights. But the only way that will happen is if they actually believe in those rights. What have you taught your children this morning?

Tim4k5 said:
I understand what you are saying Gunny in regards to the pendulum swinging back and forth, but if you look closely and honestly you'll see that the pendulum never swings quite all the way back......a little bit is lost with every swing.
powerful

GunnyGene said:
I can't disagree, Tim. You make some good points. I don't have your medical background, but did take Psyc 101, and I understand what you're saying. So the question becomes: How do we avoid further deterioration in the patients condition? I'm not inclined to just walk away from the problem.

PS: Have you ever dived into cultural anthropology? In particular some works by Marvin Harris; "Cannibals and Kings" ? I'd be interested in your opinions as it pertains to our current culture.

Never got to get into the medical part. Met a girl my sophmore year, fell in love, had a kid and had to leave school to do the grown-up thing. I've managed to finish up my degrees over the years a bit at a time while working as an Industrial Maintenance technician. I've picked up more than a few pieces of paper but truly enjoy the career I have, school now is just about continuing to learn.

Looking at the country as an ailing patient is a good analogy. My personal view would be to compare the condition to a cancer that has spread through the tissues of the extremities but hasn't yet affected the core or vital organs. The urban population centers of this country are, for the most part, tumors. They see themselves as all-important, masters of the nation when the truth is they contribute very little to the country that is necessary for survival. Many of these "college-educated", liberal, metrosexual pansies view those of us who choose to keep old traditions alive and to raise our family in a more rural environment as backwoods, inbred, hillbillies. What this past election showed in grea t detail is the fact that the population of the urban centers has finally became a larger percentage than that of the rural areas. We have a population that is increasingly dependant on the government to ensure their basic survival......and thus are willing to do whatever it takes to appease the government. Those of us who are still capable of taking care of ourselves are simply caught in the crossfire of laws, regulations, and programs designed to facilitate the survival of the city-dwellers.
I honestly do not see a solution to the problems of this country that does not involve a large scale seperation between the dependent and the independent. This is not a sustainable, symbiotic type relationship......the parasite is very much overloading the host. Something has to happen.....Something has to give. As neither side seems willing to change, a mutually agreed upon seperation may very well be the only chance of survival.

I've never really delved much into cultural anthropology and had to google the book you suggested. Reading through the summary I can definitely see how it applies to the current state of the US. It also runs along with my thoughts on the "tumors". There are those of us who are still very much living the "hunter-gatherer" lifestyle.....smaller, close-knit groups completely capable of independent survival. The problem being that the increased population density of the urban areas allows for an easier route of survival and an increase rate of reproductivity. Because of their higher birth rate, the city dwellers will continue to outnumber the populations of hunter-gatherers, even without outside immigration, and those of us on the hunter-gatherer side will from now on be subject to laws and regulations put in place to benefit the numerical majority.......regardless of the effects it has on our own individual groups.

aksavanaman said:
GunnyGene said:
How do we avoid further deterioration in the patients condition? I'm not inclined to just walk away from the problem.

I really like this analogy, our country as a dying patient. But this was no acute onset of the Spanish flu. Our country is that grumpy a$$ in the back room that the nurses avoid. The one who was a 30 year chain smoker who drank too much on the weekdays, and not enough on weekends.

I think certain generations have been indoctrinated for a long while now. Wasting time, sweat and tears on trying to create a paradigm shift in those people would be futile. I think the only way we'll see a change, not just in actions, but a true change that returns our people to rewarding hard work, dedication and traditional values is by teaching our children (maybe the neighbors too??). They will be the ones to pick up the proverbial pitch fork in the future to continue fighting for their rights. But the only way that will happen is if they actually believe in those rights. What have you taught your children this morning?

I've had a hobby for quite a few years - cultural anthropology. The lesson learned from this is that high concentrations of people (or animals for that matter) in a given geographical area, always leads to the same result. They either split off into different groups and migrate to new areas, or they self-destruct. Part of it is because of resource depletion, but part of it is also because of cultural changes that occur in the original population (city), which leads to many problems - crime, etc. People need elbow room. Without it, we turn on each other. In the last 100 years we have (in the US) gone from a mostly agrarian society to a mostly urban society. And there's no vacant geography to migrate to.

Alaska has a population density of 1 people per square mile.

Montana has a population density of 6 people per square mile

Idaho has a population density of 16 people per square mile

Oregon has a population density of 36 people per square mile.

Mississippi has a population density of 61 people per square mile.

Texas has a population density of 80 people per square mile

Alabama has a population density of 88 people per square mile.

Kentucky has a population density of 102 people per square mile.

Tennessee has a population density of 138 people per square mile

California has a population density of 217 people per square mile

Illinois has a population density of 223 people per square mile.

Ohio has a population density of 277 people per square mile

New York has a population density of 402 people per square mile.

Connecticut has a population density of 703 people per square mile.

District of Columbia has a population density of 9,378 people per square mile.

Thanks for adding my state in there Oli, but I truly feel that the number given for mine is more than it actually is. Especially just for my county alone.

I did some google-fu and based on 2000 census records, there were 71.01 people per sq mile for my specific county, and the number of people here in the 2010 census were about 4 thousand less than the one before, so I would guess that number is easily probably down to the mid-low 50's of people per mile at best. Possibly even less than that now since there have been a couple years of high school kids moving away to find jobs to support their new families and to college so they can escape the area.

Lots of places to stretch out and relax here. Gives whole new meaning to "getting away from it all".

In just the last 30 years, I've seen a huge decrease in people, businesses, and even structures, etc.

It has went from boom to bust apparently.

I thought that once in my life. I would need to be in a coastal areas of AK if I did that. I have spent quite a bit of time in the interior and.....no offence to anyone but no thanks......spend much time around Fairbanks? The people are some of the best I have ever had the pleasure to live with, We would go into Fairbanks for food and no one would let us buy our dinners...... but the country is less than impressive, never really cared for the Boreal forests and tundra…..man I have hiked through the tussock for miles, mosquitoes the size of dragon flies, always something trying to eat you ….. I grew up in the most beautiful place in the world so it’s hard to impress me :lol:

From Juno to where you are, that’s more my cup of tea but but no further inland than 100 miles.....

They were saying 20,000 People with 40,000 guns. The one guy they went after had "Two Registered", and they ended up with 5 Guns. The problem is, the numbers are probably a lot larger than they realize. Now add to that Millions of Gun Owners with the stroke of a pen. "Treading Water" will turn into "Drowning".

Frank

Back