• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Season 2013

Well I have not been turkey hunting in a dog age. I hunted eastern and rio grande turkey here in Texas and always used a mouth call. But I have a full set of dentures now and for the life of me can't get the old mouth call to work right. I was wondering what friction calls each one of y'all use and I might be opening a can of worms here but what seems to be the best.

MikeD said:
GunnyGene said:
MikeD said:
Gunny, have you patterned your gun with #4 buck at 50-75 yards?

I always go for a head shot to keep from messing up the meet and I can't imaging a very tight pattern at these ranges using a cyl bore.

Hornady makes a round with a shot cup that works like a choke tube and does not need a tight constriction, as per their ad. LINKY

Haven't patterned at that range, but I was thinking that's pushing it some. Might just stick with my .22mag. I'll look into the Hornady. Thanks.

You're somewhat luck;y here were are limited to shotgun for turkey and the rules apply regardless of whether the land is public or private. We are also limited to only one tag per season (spring/fall)

I've heard there are places where rifles are legal but have yet to hunt anywhere where that's the rule. I think It would be interesting and hard to snipe one at distance.

Here's a new one you've probably never heard of: Bow hunting turkey. :) Just signed into law.

Text of Law:

AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 49-7-38, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROVIDE THAT PERSONS EXEMPT FROM LICENSING AND PERSONS LICENSED TO HUNT DEER WITH A BOW OR PRIMITIVE WEAPON MAY HUNT WITH A BOW DURING ANY OPEN SEASON ON DEER; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:

SECTION 1. Section 49-7-38, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:

49-7-38. (1) * * * Any person who is exempt from having a hunting license and any person licensed to hunt deer with a bow or primitive weapon may hunt with a crossbow or bow and arrow during any open season on deer, turkey or small game.

(2) * * * When hunting during any gun season on deer, the hunter must comply with Section 49-7-31.1.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2013.

mjadams61 said:
Well I have not been turkey hunting in a dog age. I hunted eastern and rio grande turkey here in Texas and always used a mouth call. But I have a full set of dentures now and for the life of me can't get the old mouth call to work right. I was wondering what friction calls each one of y'all use and I might be opening a can of worms here but what seems to be the best.

This one is my favorite: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/167299 ... urkey-call
I'm not sure what brand my new slate call is but I'll look tomorrow and post pics of what I have.

P.S. 40 days until Potter County :D Gobble Gobble :lol:

rjpoog1989 said:
mjadams61 said:

I'm not sure what brand my new slate call is but I'll look tomorrow and post pics of what I have.

A friend of mine makes slate calls. They're very popular around here, and he always has some in work.

IMG_1790.jpg

Well dang no turkey hunting this spring since I have to learn something new to entice the old turkey closer lol. I loved my mouth call lol both hands on the gun while I brung that tom in closer for a decent headshot :D

GunnyGene said:
rjpoog1989 said:
mjadams61 said:

A friend of mine makes slate calls. They're very popular around here, and he always has some in work.

IMG_1790.jpg
I understand the concept but what are the holes for in the bottom one?

Both pics are the same design just one flipped over to show opposite side. You use the stylus on the slate side, not thru the holes. The holes are there to allow the sound out. It takes some practice and listening to live turkeys to speak their language tho. ;) :mrgreen:

From what his customers say, they're the most effective calls they've ever used. You can contact him here if you'd like to buy: http://georgeswoodshop.net/

If you email him, tell him Gene sent you.

GunnyGene said:
Here's a new one you've probably never heard of: Bow hunting turkey. :) Just signed into law.

Text of Law:

AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 49-7-38, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROVIDE THAT PERSONS EXEMPT FROM LICENSING AND PERSONS LICENSED TO HUNT DEER WITH A BOW OR PRIMITIVE WEAPON MAY HUNT WITH A BOW DURING ANY OPEN SEASON ON DEER; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

49-7-38. (1) * * * Any person who is exempt from having a hunting license and any person licensed to hunt deer with a bow or primitive weapon may hunt with a crossbow or bow and arrow during any open season on deer, turkey or small game.

(2) * * * When hunting during any gun season on deer, the hunter must comply with Section 49-7-31.1.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2013.

Nice.

I actually missed one with a bow the season before last. The turkey came in from an unexpected angle, imagine that, and I misjudged the yardage. It was an open field with no good points of reference. Lesson learned, I now put tent states or twigs out at marked distences.

Crossbows were just made legal here a few years ago.

GunnyGene said:

Both pics are the same design just one flipped over to show opposite side. You use the stylus on the slate side, not thru the holes. The holes are there to allow the sound out. It takes some practice and listening to live turkeys to speak their language tho. ;) :mrgreen:

From what his customers say, they're the most effective calls they've ever used. You can contact him here if you'd like to buy: http://georgeswoodshop.net/

If you email him, tell him Gene sent you.

:D Well the language I know just gonna have to speak it a different way. :D
But the calls I seen on here and googled are like works of art. Even my wife was impressed and did not mind me getting a few to practice with as long as I put a shelf on the wall to display them :D

MikeD said:
GunnyGene said:

Text of Law:

Nice.

I actually missed one with a bow the season before last. The turkey came in from an unexpected angle, imagine that, and I misjudged the yardage. It was an open field with no good points of reference. Lesson learned, I now put tent states or twigs out at marked distences.

Crossbows were just made legal here a few years ago.

Yea crossbow was made legal here to except there are still a few counties that limit the use to peeps with disabilites. I bow hunted turkey before here in Texas before I damaged my shoulder and I hated having to shoot the turkey with a body shot with an arrow but I found bow hunting a challenge I just could never step away from :cool:. And I always thought of getting a crossbow but I could never justify spending the money on a really good one. Heck some of them crossbows cost more than all the guns put together in my sig :shock: .

Oh boy, Im so excited. April 13th is opening day here in KY. Im so ready. Got my glass pot call and 2 mouth calls. Got to have backs..lol You never know what might happen. But anyways got my permit, Tru Glo ported turkey choke for my Mossberg 835 and Tru Glo front and rear sights added, camo, vest, decoy, Federal Mag Shok turkey loads, and 2 different properties that one turkey loaded. Had one property that I been doing alot of scoutin on for about a month now and got a 2nd permission that is alot larger and has more field and deeper woods that Im think there are some toms roostin and been hangin out in. So I believe Im all set this Spring :D

Anyone out in the field having any luck yet?

I've still got a few days til my season starts.

I think the season starts here on the 28th. Due to an unfortunate series of events, I may not get to hunt at all. We will see.

rjpoog1989 said:
I think the season starts here on the 28th. Due to an unfortunate series of events, I may not get to hunt at all. We will see.

Bummer. Hope things work out so you can make it out.

MikeD said:
rjpoog1989 said:

Bummer. Hope things work out so you can make it out.

I should know more on friday, until then I cannot comment or speculate...

Back