• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vintage M2 ammo can

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I was fortunate enough to come across and salvage this old ammo can.

From what I have been able to dig up about it, was used during WWII and Korea and was the predecessor to the later ammo can design that we currently use.

Here is a brief history of the can in service that I found with more history here: http://olive-drab.com/od_firearms_ammo_ ... cal_m2.php

I pasted much of the information here just to preserve the integrity of the information and photo's in case the original website info or photos are ever lost from whatever reason. Not to plagerize or to take credit for any of the information but only because I want to preserve as much history as I can.

I also added a few photo's from my can to their description because they only had a few photo's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Construction details of the M2 .50 cal. ammunition can / box:

•Steel material with welded seams, made in several different patterns
•Top edge hinge consists of rolled small tubes attached to the body of the box and matching pins attached to the lid
•Side-opening hinged lid, removable by sliding the lid pins off the hinge tubes
•Metal bar handle attached to the lid by rectangular wire loops so it can fold flat for stacking or lift up for easy carry
•A wire loop on lid edge is engaged by a latch panel to clamp the lid down
•Rubber gasket under lid makes the box almost waterproof when clamped closed
•Wire loop on the end panel to mount the box to a machine gun
•Top and sides have embossed recessed areas for added strength

When the lid latch is closed, a small metal loop protrudes through a hole in the latch panel. A cotter pin, attached to a ring, is inserted in a hole in the metal loop to fasten the latch securely.

vintageww2M2ammocan011.jpg

The M2 ammunition box was painted semi-gloss olive drab. Two shades were used, one a little lighter than the other. Both are authentic for this ammo can. Embossed markings on the front say "Amm. Box Cal. .50 M2."

ammo_cans_50m2_04_700.jpg

vintageww2M2ammocan010.jpg

One end panel will have the Ordnance flaming bomb and manufacturer's name embossed (eg, BELMONT, UNITED.)

vintageww2M2ammocan009.jpg

The lid has two cartridge shapes embossed, one on each end, to indicate the direction of loading.

vintageww2M2ammocan007.jpg

The box was often stencil marked to indicate the contents, usually in yellow on the back panel (opposite the latch.)

ammo_cans_50m2_03_350.jpg

The dimensions of the M2 .50 cal. ammo can are approximately 7.5 inches high, 6 inches wide, and 12.25 inches long. It weighs about 35 pounds, loaded with a belt of .50 cal. cartridges.

The M2 .50 cal. ammo box / can was superseded by the Cal. .50 M2A1 Ammunition Box during the 1950s, but remained in use in the U.S. military for decades.

ammo_cans_50m2_375.jpg

An M2 ammo box sits among other equipment in a 25th Infantry Division .50 cal. machine gun emplacement, Korea, 12 August 1952.

ammo_cans_50m2_01_700.jpg

M2 ammunition can with a belt of .50 cal. ammunition in the cradle of a Browning anti-aircraft machine gun, Normandy, France, 1944.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alrighty then.

Judging by the original paint inside the can, the one I have was the darker semi gloss shade of OD. And I am going to try to match the best I can when I restore it.

And yes, I know, it doesn't have any real intrinsic value probably to anyone else in the world but me, so I am going to hit it with a wire wheel brush to get the several coats of red and yellow paint off of it and will prime it correctly and will paint it back to approximately the way it was when it rolled off the assembly line back in the '40s.

But I think it's a pretty cool find. Especially with the exceptional metal work with the embossed text and bullet indicators, and flaming bomb logo.

And surprisingly, even has the original rubber gasket, although is very brittle and probably not very watertight any longer, but it is still there nonetheless.

vintageww2M2ammocan012.jpg

I will update as the project progresses. But until then, I have a lot of metal prep work to do before prime and paint.

I also have no intention of trying to get out any of the small dents and dings in it because I think they give it a little character, and I don't want to take away any of that.

If I had been through some of what I'm sure this can has been through, I'd be greatful if I only had a few dents and dings to show for it.

Thanks mossy.

I know, it's not like I found Jimmy Hoffa or life on mars, but I still like it LOL

I appreciate the craftsmanship in it.

That is very lacking in today's sleek and streamlined products.

Especially metal products.

There just is no life or character to it.

And why I'm going to take the time and restore what little history that I can.

That's awesome John!

My LGS transferred in a couple M2s for a local fella a while back. One of them was in the shop for a couple weeks sitting on an M63 anti-aircraft mount. An impressive machine to say the least. I'll be following the progress on this restoration...

Man, that's a nice find!

Having it restored would be glorious. Please allow us to follow your story as you go.

Having it restored would be glorious. Please allow us to follow your story as you go.

I am a fan of ammo cans so I agree with Nitesite, please keep the story going.

Was able to use a wire wheel brush and get most of the old flaky paint off.

I was going to wait until monday, but went ahead and took some pics this evening.

AR4sale003.jpg

AR4sale004.jpg

AR4sale005.jpg

The rubber gasket is toast, but I never plan to use this old can in a wet or long term storage environment where water would be an issue anyway.

I still think it's probably the coolest can I have.

It looks great. The old dents give it character! Nice use of the Midway box too.

looks great!! imagine the stories it could tell. nice piece.

I've had decent success at using that Black RTV Type Rubber Gasket Material in salvaging a couple WWII Steel Ammo. Boxes (.30 Calibre versions).
Finding WWII Ammo Boxes is fairly easy if you haunt the right antique shops, etc. Although some people really go outer limits with the prices LOL.
Mark

I don't get to see many old boxes. At least not ones that I can verify that are really that old.

I have one other similar to the one above that I found in the basement of our house, though there isn't a lid to be found and just has about 30 pounds of loose bolts and screws and nuts in it.

Barns and Garages are the other places to look for these... My Dad was a WWII Veteran, so finding things from this era was easy for me I guess?
Mark

Back