• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

Flechettes suck, not enough mass for decent penetration .....bolo loads suck too, the cable really hurts penetration

This thread is possibly one of the most epic things I have ever seen on the internet! I just want y'all to know that this thread may be wholly responsible for my untimely death! When my wife gets wind of what I want to spend to do this she will probably be homicidal! ;)

Just tell her instead of spending $1. a slug, you will make them for about .25 each. :D

Yeah but unfortunately she isn't going to care about the cost per shell! She is gonna flip about the cost of the equipment to get started! Lol

Last edited:
"It'll pay for itself in no time"

;)

And the security and peace of mind that you'll never be without slugs again is priceless.

45 bucks ain't to bad. I will have to see if I can pick up some OT at work and maybe she won't completely lose her mind.

I was thinking of something similar. I have a Mossberg 500 in .410. Shells are a little less plentiful and more expensive than other gauges. So I have been looking into reloading my spent hulls. I have read that better quality hulls can be reloaded several times, so there is potential for some savings.

Anyway... I was wondering about the economy of purchasing bulk/low end 12 ga shells and 'harvesting' the components (powder, shot) for reuse in .410 reloading.

The shot is of little concern as a specific size shot would be the same regardless of what shell it is loaded in. Given the size difference, one 12 ga shell could supply several .410 shells (most of my .410 shells use 1/2 oz of shot).

Of some concern is the powder. Since the characteristics of the specific powder in a given set of bulk shells would be unknown. Potentially, if one were to match brands & 'models' of shells, it might be assumed that the powder characteristics would be the same between 12 & .410 - but that could be a large assumption (different lots/dates of mfg, etc). And since quality .410 shells would not likely have a bulk/economy 12 ga counterpart, it could be a recipe for trouble. Maybe I'm talking myself out of it...

I don't assume that any manufacturer uses the same powder for different calibers or gauges.

I wouldn't do it.

There are dedicated reloading presses and powders and such if you would like to reload them.

I would not assume that even two identical boxes of ammo have the exact same powder in them. Companies change components all the time and while the end result may be the same, the parts are constantly changing based on cost, etc. Mixing reloading components based on perceived characteristics is a disaster waiting to happen.

I just wanted to give a quick update for REAL WORLD performance of these slugs.

My buddy Mike that often comes up and makes these slugs with me has been going hunting down in farm country the last few days where the deer are more plentiful per square foot and took his nephew and brother with him yesterday and let his nephew borrow one of his shotguns and a few of these Lee slugs to use.

About 4:30 yesterday evening, there was a spike that got in front of him and having sat there in the cold all day, Charlie decided to try to get a shot at him.

Unfortunately for Charlie, the spike was quartered away from him and he couldn't get the ideal double lung shot when he pulled the trigger, but my buddy Mike saw it drop where it stood and he said it quivered a few times and was done. He said he counted off 65 steps from where Charlie had been sitting, so that's the best account of yardage that they could come up with.

Upon cleaning the deer this morning, the Lee slug made an entrance hole wide enough to stick 3 or 4 fingers in it's back hip, busted the hip bone, traveled through the stomach and intestines, liquefied the liver, went through the diaghram, missed the lungs and heart and proceeded up the neck and stopped in the spine about 2 inches from the base of its' skull.

I haven't seen the deer, but he said he took some pictures of the entrance and where it stopped in the neck where the slug fell out in his hand because it was embedded just below the hide when skinning it and he took a few pictures of the slug itself, which he said was overall in pretty good shape all things considered and said you can tell it's a slug, despite being a little deformed. Probably from busting the rear hip bone.

When he gives me the pictures, I'll post them up, but may be a while, though he's wanting to come up tomorrow and make some more jerky.

I just wanted to give a real range report of how well these worked. We were both amazed at the penetration these slugs did and after hearing that it traveled nearly the entire length of the deer itself, we decided that we wouldn't hesitate to use these on elk or bear or sasquatch or anything else that frequents our woods.

57efca3c-b472-4508-8191-c39c1dfefd3e_zps854ff4f1.jpg

Leeslugdeer001_zpsf1f4b94a.jpg

Leeslugdeer007_zps65601b55.jpg

BLOODY HELL......................WOW !

Thats what you call penetration. As a matter of interest what sort of cartridge was that slug stuffed into ?

We were both amazed at the penetration too.

Malagamarksman, it was in one of the cheap Federal bulk pack shells that was in the original post in this thread.

Cheap and extremely effective, just what this thread is all about.

"Proof of the pudding is in the eating" as they say. Worth every penny of the investment in the equipment and the time spent in making them.

Nice shooting by the way.

I agree. I'm glad they worked well.

Personally, I don't think I would've taken the shot Malagamarksman, but I'm glad it worked out for him.

I think he was trying to aim slightly forward of where it impacted more toward the chest area, just didn't get it.

But he was happy with the end result of having some meat in the freezer despite where he hit it.

Time spent cutting the top is the primary slow-down in the re-purposing process ..

Here's how to make 100 frangible wax slugs in pretty short order, a bit more assembly line in approach ..

Time spent cutting the top is the primary slow-down in the re-purposing process ..

Here's how to make 100 frangible wax slugs in pretty short order, a bit more assembly line in approach ..

Very clever. I have seen wax slugs made before but this is probably the best method I have seen.

Have you chrono'd them ?

What do they shoot like accuracy and penetration wise ?

No I have not chrono'd them.

Their accuracy varies; definitely will not win any beauty or accuracy contests outside 25 yards or so, but they hit hard and blow out an exit wound about 12"-15" in diameter. Would probably be outlawed by the Geneva convention and the SPCA.

Back