• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What IS tactical?

The term "tactical" seems to get beat to death these days. Make a polymer stock, add a rail or strap mount, PRESTO! it is now "tactical".

I think we are loosing sight of an ideal. What I want to bring a discussion over is;

"What IS tactical?"

This is funny because I use these terms all the time in fire. Tactics is simply the way you are going to implement your strategy. Strategy is the plan, objectives. Tactics are the specific way you are going to get the “job” done. The term is used wrong all the time. If you break it down a salad fork is the tactical choice to eat your salad. To shoot a goose, a goose gun is the tactically correct gun to choose not your “tactical” HD gun. If I want to make 3 miles of fire line on 25% slope my tactically correct choice is a D6 or bigger dozer and not a 20 person handline crew. If I need to sling net full’s of hose and pumps to remote fire crews my tactically correct choice is a type 2 medium helo “Huey” not a type 3 Jet Ranger…..That’s the way I was taught anyway. First it’s Strategy then its Tactics

Tactical ... relating to, or involving, tactics.

Rip, I think you're really asking about "tacticool". Often times the term is mis-prounounced, "tactical" but the meaning is more akin to "tacticool".

Tacticool ... relating to, or involving, being cooler than you because I spent more money, bought a certain brand or achieved a certain look.

In general, I have found that an individual's tacticool factor is inversely proportionate to his (or her) actual experience in a given field of operation. Many "tacticool operators" are attempting to mimic something seen on television, in movies or video games. Others have not served in the military or in law enforcement but believe that looking like they are currently engaged in a covert operation increases their tacticool factor. Frequently, quite the opposite happens when those who have actually served or have real-world experience in a given field of operation are amused by the individual's behavior, attire or equipment. This fequently leads to the tacticool operator losing their tacticool and getting angry.

Exhibit A: Joe Tacticool

airsoft.jpg

:D

What brought the question forward was an online article that had one model of rifle but in two flavors; classic with a walnut stock and blued metal, and the "tactical" model with a polymer stock and polished metal.

For no real reason whatsoever, I looked at the two and it struck me that the tactical tag is starting to get long in the youth for me. Am I just being over critical? I am by no means a long time shooter so maybe it it's a land duck complaint.

Hey, Like my Tac'd Out photo thread! :lol: I wasnt trying to be a "Tactical" Operator, I was being a "Tacticool" Operator! :D I dont mind bein a dork! :p

I'm with Mud, as far as a definition goes. Thing is, so many people want "tactical" which is exactly what becomes "tacticool" because its trendy. I think. Its like when folks say only black guns are real guns, or when they buy stuff cuz its the latest in what "tactical" operators are wearing. Its like all the Xtranormal videos about the guy asking all the crazy and rediculous questions.

Maybe it can be like having tons of gear and equipment and having no idea how to use it or any intention of ever using it. With guns, it would be like having an AR in all Magpul gear because Chris and Travis use it, or having a Benelli M4 because thats what real operators use, though the person using it never has been and never will be an operator.

Just like already mentioned, just having this stuff seems to make the owner think he may actually be an operator.

So its overdone for sure and purposely, because it sells. While the "tacticool" will fade away eventually, its marketing for now. People eat that stuff up. The Mossberg Chainsaw is some weird example of this. Marketing to the tacticool...

The answer of what "Tactical" is has been answered.

It would probably be a good decision for me to not comment a lot on this since the term "tactical" has been so over used and incorrectly used for so long.

TACTICAL:
About 119,000,000 results (0.20 seconds)

Another thought.

All this about tactical vs. tacticool isnt to say there isnt practical application, Or to paraphrase Oli, the applying of tactics to the plan.

Yeah, and once someone gets passed tactical, and get into the tacti-cool, you're only one step away from being tacti-fool

:lol:

John A. said:
Yeah, and once someone gets passed tactical, and get into the tacti-cool, you're only one step away from being tacti-fool

Ooooh! That for sure is me in my Tac'd thread! :lol:

I think the whole tacticool came in because of the amount of money that was spent on realtree. For a while, everything had to be realtree camo.
real tree home decorations, real tree truck parts, I think I even have a realtree coffee mug.
Tacticool equipment is the same way. Just something else to spend money on.

I guess it is the over usage of the term that got me flooded. That and work has me stressed and it gave me an outlet... :lol:

Rossignol said:
John A. said:

Ooooh! That for sure is me in my Tac'd thread! :lol:

Don’t sell yourself short. Having the things that prepare you for an event is never unwise. Going to Wal-Mart dressed in it is another thing. At least you’re not complacent which is what I am sometimes guilty of.

To me Tactical is the ability to notice, utilize, and put into action any and all things to give you the advantage, in any situation. To some it is a phrase, to others it is being aware, and able to follow through to the next move/step.

oli700 said:
Going to Wal-Mart dressed in it is another thing.

Uhhh, yeah that would be bad! I'd either make the news, or at the very least maybe peopleofwalmart.com !!!

Tactical is not something you put on a firearm or wear to look cool...it's a state of mind and awareness that you live... and it becomes a part of who you are...unconscious...kinda like breathing. You don't think about it...you do it.

Back