• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

White House approach to new gun regs.

Very well said L.E.S......

I have to agree with your statement concerning people being "shuffled through the system". This country has spent the last several decades trying to show that everyone is "equal" and to avoid "labels"......and all it has accomplished is to make mental health care nearly impossible. If someone has a relatively minor issue that different therapies can help it's great......but it seems if a therapist is confronted with someone who is truly a risk, someone who truly has no hope of rehabilitation and is one bad day from being a cover story they simply pass them on to someone else because THEY don't want to be the one to label someone as hopelessly frickin nuts.

I have an uncle who is only a few years older than me who is heavily mentally handicapped. He has severe epilepsy which caused a lot of scarring on his brain when he was an infant. Because of this he has the mental capacity of roughly a 5 year old. He is normally fairly docile but when he doesn't get his way he throws a temper tantrum.....just as you would expect from a 5 year old. The difference is, he is 40......a lifetime of micro-seizures running through his body has built and toned muscle to rival a pro athlete. He has had violent outbursts in the past.....he has been physical not only with family members but with local LEO's as well. He has spent time in several "mental institutions" over the years but after 30 days or so they hand him new pills and send him out thedoor. Being in a small town the Police know my family well, and understand my uncle has problems......which is why they have never filed assault charges on him. They know he just needs help....but what they fail to understand is that the system refuses to help until charges are filed and convictions are made.
Because of a lack of long-term, inpatient mental healthcare facilities and a lack of mental healthcare "professionals" who are willing to "label" my uncle as a risk to others my family simply has to do everything they can do to keep him away from other people. It is simply a matter of time before he has another outburst and nobody knows which direction it will go......but we know it will simply result in a short stay in the hospital and a new pill or two.....until the next time.

Tim4k5 said:
Very well said L.E.S......

I have to agree with your statement concerning people being "shuffled through the system". This country has spent the last several decades trying to show that everyone is "equal" and to avoid "labels"......and all it has accomplished is to make mental health care nearly impossible. If someone has a relatively minor issue that different therapies can help it's great......but it seems if a therapist is confronted with someone who is truly a risk, someone who truly has no hope of rehabilitation and is one bad dah from being a cover story they simply pass them on to someone else because THEY don't want to be the one to label someone as hopelessly frickin nuts.

That, and if they do go off, they don't want to be associated with them in any shape form or matter. They don't want their good name all over the internet and on CNN saying, Dr. so and so was treating them for blah blah blah.

I suppose my short answer, they don't want to accept liability for someone who clearly is a liability.

Thanks Gentlemen,

Sometimes I get lucky and am able convey something that makes sense to others.

Tim,

I understand completely. I've had a lot of experience with the MHMR system back home in TX. There are some truly gifted and beautiful people that don't get the attention and resources they deserve. Sadly many times family are the first to go, so my hat's off to you and your family for being there for him...

John,

There's certainly the aspect of negative association those in the medical field want to avoid, but there's another much simpler explanation with which I've regretably had first hand experience.

A few years ago an orthopedist found a crushed vertebrae in my lower back. Because of the location and complexity of the break it took me two years to find a surgeon that was willing to operate. By that time the structure was so degraded that I could barely walk and stepping off a curb wrong could have severed my spinal chord. Of all the surgeons along the way most simply gave me the generic "risk of paralasys" bla bla bla "liablilty" yada yada canned speeches. One young surgeon denying me an operation, in what I can only guess was an attempt to "relate" to me, put it to me in terms of baseball stats. He compared the outcome of my potential operation to a batting average. He looked me square in the eyes and said that he'd never get to the hall of fame unless he only swung at pitches he could knock outta the park. It dawned on me that all these doctors who had waved me off did so not out of concern for risking my well being, but because they didn't want to risk adding a failed operation to their stats.

Medical professionals shuffle these "at risk" patients around the exact same way. Sure they don't want their name in the paper or on the news, but they can't bare the thought of their track record taking a hit because the black label medications they prescribed had an adverse effect on the patient's mental state. If a patient presents signs of "at risk" behavior they simply push them out the front door and down the pipeline.

The only difference is that in my situation, there would have been direct accountability. A surgeon makes the wrong cut, I would have been paraplegic. When it comes to pharmaceuticals however, they prescribe thousands of patients these medications with no adverse side effects. How are they to be held accountable when one of their patients goes haywire? Because of sheer volume there's simply no direct line of accountability...

The lower back stuff sucks LES......I'm dealing with some bulging discs right now as well as severe narrowing of my spinal column from my L3 to my S1. Had a second MRI with the contrasting dye done last thursday, go back to the Dr. tomorrow. Not been in much pain the past 2 weeks but my left foot has been asleep since before Thanksgiving......which makes walking interesting at times.

And yeah......I got the same "If you cough, sneeze, turn or move and hear a pop you should stay right where you are and have someone call 911" warning......which scared the hell outta me.

This will be interesting how it pans out. Congress is swamped with real issues and the libs will want to rush through an emotional response to Sandyhook.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/08/white-house-ramps-up-talks-on-gun-control-measures/

Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell, the top Republican in the Senate, said the next round of fiscal deadlines will occupy the attention of Congress and push off the consideration of gun legislation for at least three months.

"There will be plenty of time to take a look at their recommendations once they come forward," McConnell said of Biden's upcoming proposals during an interview Sunday on ABC's "This Week."

Obama aides say the president still plans to act quickly on Biden's proposals. They worry that as the shock of the Newtown shooting fades, so, too, will the prospects that pro-gun lawmakers will work with the White House to tighten restrictions.

"I believe most Americans would disagree with the idea that in the wake of what happened in Newtown, Conn., that we should put off any action on the issue of gun violence," Carney said Monday in response to McConnell's comments. "It's certainly not a sentiment the president supports."

Isn't it disturbing how they are playing an emotional war game with our rights... This Presidency and his Administration is representing a Communist Gov't and not a Free Democracy. Strike down the rights of many for the actions of few......

LES, good post, I share your thoughts.

My concern here is, how far could they go with that? Could they consider the medical history of everyone in the home? Such as in the case of the Newtown shooter who cleary had issues but took his mothers legally owned firearms.

The White House and the nation's leading gun lobby will meet face to face Thursday amid an intensifying effort in Washington to craft new gun control measures, in what could be a testy session.

The National Rifle Association confirmed to Fox News that the group has accepted an invitation to meet with the Vice President Biden-led task force examining ways to curb gun violence. The task force was formed in the wake of the Connecticut school massacre and is running up against an end-of-the-month deadline to produce a set of proposals.

Looks like the NRA is invited to the Biden white house party on Thursday. I'm sure for both this will be more for public perception than either being open to changing their stance. I believe the white house agenda was locked down a long time ago.

Mike, I will certainly have to agree! I do not (fortunately) see the NRA changing their thoughts and ideals at all, something they have stood for and defended their entire existence and the White House will not change because it would show their weakness to an outside element...

Maybe one party is going to try and drink the other into submission! HA!

I keep hearing rumor that Wayne La Pierre was supposed to have a meeting with Obama on Tuesday at the White House...anyone confirm or deny this?

This can't be good...

Vice President Biden suggested Wednesday that the White House could take unilateral action on gun control, as he kicked off a round of meetings aimed at finding ways to curb gun violence.
The vice president met Wednesday with gun-safety and victims groups, saying he is "determined" to take "urgent action" to address gun violence.
"This is not an exercise in photo opportunities or just getting to ask you all what your opinions are. We are vitally interested in what you have to say," Biden said.
The White House has sought to avoid prejudging what Biden's recommendations would be. But the vice president hinted Wednesday that executive action -- action by the president in which Congress would not have a say -- would indeed be involved.

Obama+Burning+The+Constitution.jpg

Mike do you have a link for that?!?!? I would love to share it almost immediately with some of my gun buddies who have been saying that for a long time now.... That is disturbing to the point of making me sick in the stomach... Obama has used that over 300 times now and I believe there should be a point where it is called "Executive Advantage Abuse" and they are impeach for not following the freaking rules.. Dirty Bastards are cutting corners and playing dirty...

"1776 Will Commence Again!" (My Post Count)

1776commence.jpg

So they get input from everyone and than go against everyone's advice anyhow?? haha Thanks for the link!

Thanks for that link! I've said the same thing, even began writing about it in that story, that Obama would view a victory as validation of what he's been doin and would be unfettered in a second term knowing he wouldn't be running again. I too have believed he would bypass congress to further implement a fascist/marxist/communist/ whatever, agenda.

You're right. They are dirty bastards.

Gotta go, people to forward this info to.

Rossignol said:
unfettered in a second term knowing he wouldn't be running again.

Rumor has it that he is trying to amend the 22nd Amendment to allow him to run again for a 3rd term... :O

That has been proposed, but not by him.

It would take 38 states to ratify the amendments.

I don't see that happening.

Arianna Huffington on "Piers Morgan Tonight" just said that Walmart is "VERY PROMISING" when it comes to talks about new gun laws because "They are after all a family company"... Anyone hear anything else as far as the NRA and GOV'T go?

Back