• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why not?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I often try to avoid participating in a topic like this, let alone start one, but I need to clear my chest of a few things.

I have seen a lot of talk over the years about SHTF, End of the world as we know it, zombies, and a host of other terms and unlikely scenarios related to major life changes.

But in a more mature context, the economy is arguably in shambles, bottomless credit to other (communist) countries, natural disasters and other things, I know a lot of people who are very selective in the weapons they own.

I admit to owning a couple different guns that I think I could rely on if things got really bad and a comfortable amount of ammo for them.

With all the self proclaimed experts touting all these "required" guns that have magnum calibers that they can shoot stuff from 3 miles away if they have to and the bullets for them in some instances are upwards of $35 a box of 20, one thing I think that is too often overlooked is a good shotgun for those needs.

Most guys will tend to lean toward relatively high power rifles (and I admit to owning a few myself) but if I had to just pick one gun, I would have a hard time not picking a good shotgun.

My reasons for this is with the right load, it can put food on the table, or turn around and ward off uninvited dinner guests. Ammunition is relatively inexpensive even in bulk compared to a lot of other bullets for other guns.

And if you want to be realistic, scatterguns have been around for centuries for a reason.

OK, I suppose my rant is over and I feel a little better now.

I'm inclined to agree with you for the same reasons and a few others. Ideally there would be a little selection, but I have primarily shotguns in the house and only one handgun due to the versatility of the shotgun. The principal of the shotgun as you mentioned is virtually unchanged in over 100 years, mostly just modernized and more robust and dependable than ever, with tolerances that allow for them to keep workin when things go from bad to real bad.

It wont do everything. It wont make a 1000 yard shot. Dont matter, I dont wear my glasses often enough to be able to see that far. 100 yards is doable with practice. The shotgun can be used to get you closer to getting the things you need or want if it came down to that kind of living, like maybe another firearm for longer shots! ;)

Where it lacks is capacity. Unless you have a Persuader or 590A1, or mag extension tubes, youre lookin at 5 rounds, 7 with some of Big Greens models. Even with something like the 590A1, still just 9 rounds.

All in all, a good simple pump will cycle just about anything you find!

there is no question, in my mind anyway, that a shotgun is a must if in fact things ever turned that nasty. I never have been a SHTF kind of guy but that doesnt mean i dont at least give thoughts toward covering bases everyone should have a 12 ga shotgun with plenty of bird shot, 00buck and slugs and know how to shoot them all well.

I hear you. I do think if you are talking serious meltdown as in Katrina stuff, I'm worried about stuff a lot closer than a thousand yards. Recently I've found myself liking the idea of Pistol caliber carbines. A 357, out of a 16 to 18 inch barrel hits like a sumbish at 100 yds. And it ain't 30 bucks for 20. And unless someone is shooting at me from 100 yds, I'm not shooting at them. They gotta be closer before I start switching off safeties. The concept of the Scout Rifle is cool and all, but firing 308 out of a carbine? Seems like overkill to me.

But yeah, if I'm pulling the Clint Eastwood I'm bringing the 590a1.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X2_V60YK8[/youtube]

I think the shotgun is my go to gun. I moved last year to Ca., from the east coast, and left 99% of my guns at a relative's house with my safe. So the first thing i got after finding my house was a 930 SPX without the pistol grip. I felt like I also had to get another safe so I got that as well. I just didn't feel right leaving the 930 hidden in the house where some one could steal it. THEN I signed up for the LGS sale flyer and as of today have ordered 2 more guns. lol So yes for the shotty being my go to gun.

As a buddy of mine who builds NFA weapons says, "Prepare for zombies. You'll be ready for anything." :lol:

Somebody said: Hope for the best...but be prepared for the worst !

Well...even the CDC sez that you should prepare for the worst...so, they must know sumptin' !! ;)

CDCZombieposter.jpg

But seriously...I have enough water and MRE's stashed away to feed my family of three for a month...with enough guns and ammo to keep it from whatever comes down the pike...zombies, looters, anybody.

I've seen what happens in major cities when just the lights go out...natural disasters like Katrina, LA Riots a few years back...flash mobs. Screw that...I'm ready !!...with my Mossy by my side.

( Just my 2 cents )

draw.gif

=========================================================

blue said:
The concept of the Scout Rifle is cool and all, but firing 308 out of a carbine? Seems like overkill to me.

Just as shooting a pistol cartridge out of a carbine seems under kill to a lot of people.....the 308 will be a lot more versatile. Cost is the only advantage of a pistol cartridge out of a rifle.

I haven’t really scoured the prices for 357 because I only have a Contender in 357 but I can get 500 308’s for 115 bucks….thats about 25 cents a round after shipping,a tad more than .223. What are you getting 357's for?

oli700 said:
blue said:
The concept of the Scout Rifle is cool and all, but firing 308 out of a carbine? Seems like overkill to me.

Just as shooting a pistol cartridge out of a carbine seems under kill to a lot of people.....the 308 will be a lot more versatile. Cost is the only advantage of a pistol cartridge out of a rifle.

I haven’t really scoured the prices for 357 because I only have a Contender in 357 but I can get 500 308’s for 115 bucks….thats about 25 cents a round after shipping,a tad more than .223. What are you getting 357's for?

Where are you getting that? See what they charge for 357 there. But seriously, where are you getting that?

Blue, I was wrong on the price, its 167 bucks at .33 a round...sorry.

They are selling 500 .357 for 187 bucks at 37 cents a round

again sorry for the misinformation

oli700 said:
Blue, I was wrong on the price, its 167 bucks at .33 a round...sorry.

They are selling 500 .357 for 187 bucks at 37 cents a round

again sorry for the misinformation

Is this an apples to apples comparison? I mean are we talking military surplus imported steel core ball 308 vs. quality US reloadable 357 JHPs? If not those numbers just sound wacky to me. If I could get high quality 308 for the same price I can get 9mm, I would consider a 308. The prices I see are closer to a dollar a round for 308 I'd actually want to shoot.

But to address the main point you raise I didn't say 308 doesn't make sense to me. I said a scout rifle intended for short to medium range shooting 308 doesn't make sense to me. You're in the northwest right? West side of the ranges? You know the terrain I'm talking about. I can't see a hundred yards in a straight line. A carbine, that fires the same round as a wheelgun is a good thing. I honestly believe there would be more ammo scrounge opportunities. s**t... Nobody likes 38 specials anymore... They're lying around all over the place! :lol: In the apocalypse I predict 38 special will be the new black...

I have a crap load of .38 specials! Yup they are the steel case and there is nothing wrong with them other then you cant reload them.....didn’t know you reloaded. You know where I live and I know what you are saying. There are lots of +100 yard opportunities were the woods open up or when you are on high ground. The 357 I referred to is PMC brass. Anyway I hear what you are saying but I bet the 308 carbine will out perform a 357 in any platform. Get what you like my friend, not saying anything negative. If you reload have you checked out reloading 308 vs. 357? To me it’s hard call in SHTF, a crapload of unreloadable or some reloadable…guess it all depends on the resources you will have on hand and how long the s**t will be hitting the fan…..me, I have pistols for pistol work and rifles for rifle work and a mini 14 for carbine work….I might just hit them with a home made slug inside 100 just depends I guess….never know till I’m in the situation.

oli700 said:
I have a crap load of .38 specials! Yup they are the steel case and there is nothing wrong with them other then you cant reload them.....didn’t know you reloaded. You know where I live and I know what you are saying. There are lots of +100 yard opportunities were the woods open up or when you are on high ground. The 357 I referred to is PMC brass. Anyway I hear what you are saying but I bet the 308 carbine will out perform a 357 in any platform. Get what you like my friend, not saying anything negative. If you reload have you checked out reloading 308 vs. 357? To me it’s hard call in SHTF, a crapload of unreloadable or some reloadable…guess it all depends on the resources you will have on hand and how long the s**t will be hitting the fan…..me, I have pistols for pistol work and rifles for rifle work and a mini 14 for carbine work….I might just hit them with a home made slug inside 100 just depends I guess….never know till I’m in the situation.

I do hear everything you are saying. I shoot a lot of PMC. I've reloaded 30-30 on a single stage forever, and only recently have gotten into 9mm on a progressive. It's all a matter of preference. 308
is extremely powerful and good WAY out there. But I don't want to get hit with a 357 out of a 16 inch barrel at 100 yds. I like the fact that the gun doesn't even buck hardly! Talk about 2nd shot capability.

But hey! This is the Mossberg board! We obviously are a more experimental bunch or we'd own the obvious choices, not Mossbergs. ;)

blue said:
But I don't want to get hit with a 357 out of a 16 inch barrel at 100 yds.
no way no how would I want that either. 357 packes some poop no doubt. I have a 12 inch Contender I take out to 100 and I would drop the hammer on a deer 100 yards out.......Contender isnt much for follow ups though.

I keep my life and my guns simple. A shotty I can handle for its versatility and a .22's for practice and pests. It makes the ammo choices easier. Heavy Buck and slugs will do it all for the shotgun and jacketed .22 LR and HP will do enough damage in a pinch. I buy a LOT of it- the day you need it is not the time to think about where you can buy it! As far as costs- for me it is just the price of admission to owning a firearm. Just another tool I might need, the same way I buy a sander with a dozen belts, or drills by the job lot, or screwdriver tips by the dozen.

a good .22 is worth its weight in gold......well maybe not at this moment in gold prices but if you could only pick one a .22 would have to be considered because it can do a lot and you could carry 1000's of rounds. A buddy of mine has a 10/22 in .22 mag and would be hard to beat as a survival weapon/tool....cant count the times I have tried to talk him out of it.

what 22. is the 22. of your choice though? there are bunches of them out there. i have a 22lr magnum. bigger the better. but i'm sure not always....

ripjack13 said:
what 22. is the 22. of your choice though? there are bunches of them out there. i have a 22lr magnum. bigger the better. but i'm sure not always....

I go straight 22 lr. Again for a combination of cost, and ease of acquiring ammo. $20 a 500 brick for CCI! A ruger 10/22 is SOOOOOOOO simple in its mechanicals that it's all I want. I have a 3x9 scope on it that is dialed in for 100 yds. Im pretty sure I could dissuade all but the most committed individuals from taking a step towards me after the first shot is fired. 9 more in the first clip, and 4 backup clips... C'mon... I dare ya! I'll shoot your eye out!
RedRiderBBgun.jpg

Something I have been considering for sometime is a small cliber rifle. I dont really want a .22, they just annoy me for some reason. What I would like to have is the Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle.

Ok, for me, final answer.
590A1 12 ga. slugs and 00
Ruger Mini 14 .223
Springer 1911 .45 ACP
oh, and whatever the ill prepared leave behind for me to take.

That should cover most bases.

I actually think a shotgun would cover a large majority of my gun needs.

Back