• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why not?

Thanks for reminding me! Some sort of birdshot too, final answer!

Where do you find .22 LR CCI at $20/brick? Best I can do here is about $35 @ Wally World.

I had a 10/22 and hated it- but I also think I got a bad one, lots of problems with it. I recently bought a Marlin 795SS and previously a 70PSS, just for the breakdown aspect. I like both. They shoot great and are accurate and trouble free.Both use the same mag. Like Blue- dialed in and only 8 mags if the first is a little off! Now if anyone can recommend a good loader it would help.

John A. said:
I actually think a 22 and shotgun would cover a large majority of my gun needs.

I have "some" 22LR ammo put back. "Some" is a generic number because I'm not going to disclose the exact number amount online, but a comfortable amount.

They are good enough for hunting, they suppress very well too which could aid in hunting and going around largely un-noticed when you don't want to attract attention to yourself.

Shotgun, I would prefer birdshot, buck and slugs.

What a coincidence! Some is exactly what I have :lol: I'm not preparing for the apocalypse but I do tape "best defense" on the outdoor network, and always find at least one thing worth knowing per episode. I mostly tivo through the mall-ninja stuff on there, but they do have some good gun drills, the had a feature on making casts, etc. On one they had a feature on air rifles and 22s as a tool for disease control. To keep down the pest population when the garbage man stops coming. As you said about supressed 22s, you can manage the problem without announcing to the whole world what's going on. Made me consider getting a "real" pellet gun to go along with my 22s.

And Rossignol, not to pick on you but, I can't imagine life without a 22. Of course I'm man enough to drive a mini-van as my primary vehicle... It ain't the kid mobile, it's the man behind the wheel. Same goes for 22s. I can shoot until I'm tired (I eat the same way :D ) and I haven't gone through $12 of ammo, but my breath control, squeeze, etc. is 200 shots more developed.

ladytech777 said:
Where do you find .22 LR CCI at $20/brick? Best I can do here is about $35 @ Wally World.

I had a 10/22 and hated it- but I also think I got a bad one, lots of problems with it. I recently bought a Marlin 795SS and previously a 70PSS, just for the breakdown aspect. I like both. They shoot great and are accurate and trouble free.Both use the same mag. Like Blue- dialed in and only 8 mags if the first is a little off! Now if anyone can recommend a good loader it would help.

My club has it on the shelf for $22, and I get a 15% discount for being a member. The thing with 10/22s is that yes you may have had a dog, but semi-autos seem to be sensitive to different ammos I get at least one FTF per mag with Federal cheapo bricks, but none with remington. On the other hand my MkIII pistol will FTE with remington but hasn't EVER malfunctioned with with the federal! In both cases it's just "pull the bolt back and go" so the malfunctions aren't game breakers.

If you are considering another 10/22, I'd look for an older one, back before they were painting the receivers. Heck some of the precision custom guys will buy a 1970s one and toss EVERYTHING but the receiver and start dropping in $250 bolts, $400 barrels, etc! :lol:

How about these:

"I have never owned or shot a 10/22."

True story.

The only (Ruger) gun I own is an old preban P85 Mark II. It's my beater pistol. I traded a car radio for it back around '96 or '97 maybe.

Another true story.

ladytech777 wrote:"I had a 10/22 and hated it-"

Oli700 wrote: "Wow never heard those words put together like that"

================================

:lol: That's classic Oli !! :lol:

Here's my brace of .22's...

Browning Buckmark w/ red dot

BROWNINGBUCKMARKsmall-1-1.jpg

Marlin Model 80 Bolt action (...shoots .22 short, long, and long rifle )

MARLINM80c.jpg

John A. said:
How about these:

"I have never owned or shot a 10/22."

True story.

The only (Ruger) gun I own is an old preban P85 Mark II. It's my beater pistol. I traded a car radio for it back around '96 or '97 maybe.

Another true story.

That I have heard, don’t know what you are missing. I taught my wife on it now its hers :cry: but she can hit stationary clays at 100 yards open sights....I take all the credit . It is a 70’s model.

I have many Rugers, I have a P89 I just love and wouldnt trade it for any Glock or latest popular "flavor of the week" . Rugers are tanks and can double as a hammer.

SHOOTER13 said:
ladytech777 wrote:"I had a 10/22 and hated it-"

Oli700 wrote: "Wow never heard those words put together like that"

:lol: That's classic Oli !! :lol:

Here's my brace of .22's...

Browning Buckmark w/ red dot

BROWNINGBUCKMARKsmall-1-1.jpg

Marlin Model 80 Bolt action (...shoots .22 short, long, and long rifle )

MARLINM80c.jpg

Sweet, those Buckmarks are supposed to be tack drivers, how do you like it?

Hey...just got back...the wife and I just went out for dinner...and my dog couldn't wait for me to wack up the prime rib !! :D

Yea, the Buckmark does deserve it's rep as a tack driver...as long as I do my part...and with the red dot, it's hard not to...!!

The Marlin is really sweet too...got it at a flea market one Sunday while waiting for a skeet range to open in Elysburg, PA. Spied a table with a rack of toy / air rifles and the Marlin was on the bottom rung...asked the woman how much, she said $100...I pulled out around $75, and she said sold. (She dates back to the early 60's...no serial number anywhere on the rifle.) Then we went to the shotgun range. ;) ...I would never think of putting a scope on her...with irons she performs !!

Oh...BTW...you mentioned you have a Ruger P89. I also had a Ruger P89DC...built like a russian tank...that I traded ( along with a Ruger Security Six, both used ) for a brand new Ruger Bisley Vaquero ( also built like a T34 )...in 2005...right before they swapped the Blackhawk frame for the smaller, weaker one. If ya run outta ammo, you could used it as a battle axe !

You don’t want pistol whipped with one......why do they mess with a good thing like that. I like the Vaquero because you can actually fan one without cutting the crap out of your hand.

Maybe I just got a lemon 10/22. I bought it on recommendations as it probably is the most popular 22 starter rifle. I was not impressed by the wood furniture, it was just very plain. I did not like the mag release either. I replaced the sights, mag release,bolt block and the gun simply was not consistent with any ammo. The one thing good about it was I met and became friends with a great gunsmith. Finally I just sold it to the local range I used. Personally I think there are so many after market improvements out there for a reason- the stock gun needs a lot of help to make it any good. IMHO
My Marlin's on the other hand- tack drivers right out of the box. A lot better magazine also. I just wish they made 25rd mags for it.

Ok. I will concede this. Allison and I were at the gun shop some weeks ago. If Jenny my ever thoughtful wife hadnt had the supreme forsight of taking all my $$$ out of my wallet the night before and unawares to me, I would have purchased a Remington 700 blah blah something, .22 for...

$99. Used and on consignment. Good lookin gun, no clue how it shot. I believe it was a bolt action with a magazine? I dunno. Just looked at the price and thought... "ok, I'd buy a .22 for $100"

ladytech777 said:
Personally I think there are so many after market improvements out there for a reason- the stock gun needs a lot of help to make it any good. IMHO.

Certainly entitled to your opinion but really?, look at all the firearms that have a huge aftermarket following….usually it’s for a gun that is worth putting the money into or in other words a solid base for something special or customizable. Even Stradivarius had culls and you got a cull, simple as that. Usually things that need a lot of fixes don’t get bought in the first place let alone develop a huge aftermarket following.

Rossignol said:
Ok. I will concede this. Allison and I were at the gun shop some weeks ago. If Jenny my ever thoughtful wife hadnt had the supreme forsight of taking all my $$$ out of my wallet the night before and unawares to me, I would have purchased a Remington 700 blah blah something, .22 for...

$99. Used and on consignment. Good lookin gun, no clue how it shot. I believe it was a bolt action with a magazine? I dunno. Just looked at the price and thought... "ok, I'd buy a .22 for $100"

never met a 100 dollar gun I didnt like :!:

oli700 said:
ladytech777 said:
Personally I think there are so many after market improvements out there for a reason- the stock gun needs a lot of help to make it any good. IMHO.

Certainly entitled to your opinion but really?, look at all the firearms that have a huge aftermarket following….usually it’s for a gun that is worth putting the money into or in other words a solid base for something special or customizable. Even Stradivarius had culls and you got a cull, simple as that. Usually things that need a lot of fixes don’t get bought in the first place let alone develop a huge aftermarket following.

You are probably right Oli- I never met anyone else the did not like a 10/22. I really think I just got a lemon. If I ever think about another I'll have to shoot it before I buy. I think I would probably be better off with an older used one though.

ladytech777 said:
oli700 said:
ladytech777 said:

You are probably right Oli- I never met anyone else the did not like a 10/22. I really think I just got a lemon. If I ever think about another I'll have to shoot it before I buy. I think I would probably be better off with an older used one though.

The reason the aftermarket stuff is there is because you can turn a great gun into a ridiculous gun if you wish. My 29 year old gun, stock gun will put all shots through a quarter sized hole at 50 yds. You put the right aftermarket barrel on there, on bed it like a serious benchrest rifle, and you you're talking 100yd groups with all holes touching. It's not because the gun needs anything. The mag release is designed the way it is because it follows the same lines as the bigger guns with rotary mags. Yeah if you're going through hundreds of rounds in one session activating it does get old.

I've never shot a Ruger 10/22 so I don't really have an opinion of them. However, I'd put my 30+ year-old bone-stock Marlin 39A Golden up against a Ruger 10/22 with as many mods as you want any day of the week. Put them both in a lead sled and compare the patterns. Granted, you can't find much of an aftermarket for the 39A. Maybe that's because no one ever needed one. ;-)

Back