• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Yellow Jackets

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Yeah, frickin yellow jackets.

I was takin down one of my kennels today and found a nest in the ground. Got stung a few times, but I'm not allergic to stings, though the couple in my head still kinda hurt.

I poured some gasoline down the hole, but does anyone know anything else to get rid of them incase theyre still there in the mornin? I gotta get my yard cleared cuz it aint safe for the kids and dogs...

Dang, sorry about your head bro. I imagine that does hurt. Best stuff I've ever used is HOT SHOT...

Hot Shot® Flying Insect Killer

I sprayed a wasp nest a couple days ago and the buggers were dead before they hit the ground. Got it at WalMart I think...

Iam with you, I hate yellow jackets!
afm.jpg

I didnt try hotshot, but I used spectracide, then I used a bottle of something else.

After neither of those worked, I used gasoline. I considered turnin it into a torch but I'll wait and see if thhe gasoline works on its own first.

Hotshot you say?

Yeah man, I keep that stuff around the house. I've never seen anything else that kills bugs that fast. You can literally spray bees flying through the air and they drop instantly. The stuff is awesome...

When I was a kid I loved destroying yellow jacket nests until the time I was swelling up from multiple stings and had to make a trip to the emergency room.

I use the bee/wasp killer that comes in the long distance sprayer. I have used gas before but I found it best to mix it 50-50 with used oil so it burns a lot longer. If they are in a tree I'll soak a rag in the 50-50 mix, wrap it around a stick and light it off. I do that around dusk when they are settled in for the night. Eventually some do escape and come after me.

Good Luck!

Dude ! I got stung 6 times in the woods yesterday lol…..the one on the forehead pissed me off.....cant burn them though, we already have a 12000 acre fire going. I dont even know what it is like to live in a place you can mess with fire in August

I'm takin notes... gasoline and used oil.

Oli, the ones in the head ticked me off too!

oli700 said:
Dude ! I got stung 6 times in the woods yesterday lol…..the one on the forehead pissed me off.....cant burn them though, we already have a 12000 acre fire going. I dont even know what it is like to live in a place you can mess with fire in August

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ice cold water will kill them in the ground if you can get it on them. Doesn't always work because the nest be be away from the path of the water. but if it is not then they will freeze to death

I've used Sevin powder in the past, put it in and around the hole, in a few days they will be gone. They track it back and will kill the whole nest. This works for ants as well.

For hard to reach nests that you can't get with spray, bug bombs are da bomb!!

Any of the kill on contact sprays and foams have worked well for me as well.

Caddie Shack was just on last night too!

Sandy: I want you to kill every gopher on the course!
Carl Spackler: Check me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...
Sandy: Gophers, ya great git! The gophers! The little brown furry rodents!
Carl Spackler: We can do that; we don't even have to have a reason.

Yes, something like C-4 would work great!

Here's another way for nests in trees. Fits in better with the Mossberg theme of this board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFlOiwj4Wz4

HA! I'll check that link in a bit.

Update;
I got down to the nest and broke it up, it wasnt huge, but big enough. The buggers are still hangin around the area though and I gotta get the pieces of nest out. That spot on the ground has been pretty well soaked with gasoline and oil but not set ablaze, I'd prefer to avoid doin that.

Need for the several dozen or so flyers to move on, I've sprayed many with hotshot, so I'm imagining those I'm seein are some returning from bein out this mornin? I dont really know.

I wanted to shoot em and jenny suggested a pipe bomb, but then the ATF (while all are among my favorite things ever) the ATF as in the govt agency would be all over me. I'll stick to legal and more conventional and accepted practices of removal for now and save the extreme measures for extreme circumstances.

set a 1/2 pound can of tannerite next to the nest.
pour a 1/2 gallon of gas on them
sep back and take a shot or two into the nest to get them moving before you hit the tannerite.

Well, I found more of the nest as I began diggin around. I just did a little at a time and when they got riled up I left em alone, then went and did a little more.

I eventually ran em all over about a dozen times with the ridin mower. Its a pile of dirt now, I was throwin a dust cloud everywhere, it was magnificent!!! Dirt and small pieces of gravel and debris all over the place!

After all was done that was gonna be done, there are still maybe 30 or so of the things flyin around lookin for their home I suppose. Havent been stung today so I dont care.

Sorry Fronty, no tannerite here.

I killed a HUGE yellow jacket nest in the yard last week.

I poured a whole half gallon of gas in that hole and the hole was so deep that the gas jug guzzled as it was pouring out and still none of the gas came out of the entrance. :shock:

Thankfully, the hole was the perfect size for the gas jug nozzle and I left it in the ground while I went back to the house and got a cinder block to set over the hole so they couldn't get out when I pulled it out.

I wait until dark to make sure all of them were in the hole too so I don't get any stragglers that may have been out when I pour the gas. I've never known bee's to sting at night either

I suspect they all suffocated with the concrete block covering the hole for the last week combined with the gas fumes

We mowed over it today and no more trouble with them.

NICE!!!

Man, wish i coulda waited and given em time to die, but jenny had plans of havin this yard work done by the day of TODAY! Had to get at em and get em gone!

Back