• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Re: Sig 1911. Ummm... Yeah... Go ahead and get one

The grips are Ergo XT, and they come as standard. Feel like skateboard tape. Between the grips and 25 line per inch checkering on the front strap, the gun sticks to your hand pretty well! No sweaty hand/gun slip excuses! :D

Re: Sig 1911. Ummm... Yeah... Go ahead and get one

I actually have those grips, very low profile!

Re: 1911 Pictures!!

Taurus PT1911. Best value for the money.

This picture is of the gun before adding night sights and the Wilson Combat tactical thumb safety.
PT1911.jpg

Here is a pic of it after the install of the Novak Night sights (trijicon brand) and the Wilson Combat Tactical safety. (The main reason I put this is on is because in the future I may go with CT laser grips and without this safety the grips would have to be modified to fit whereas with this safety they do not). The coccobolo grips were custom made from woodgrips.com and it has a pearce rubber grip insert.
PT1911aftertacticalsafetyinstall.jpg

The gun is extremely accurate and was right out of the box. It shoots 1-2" groups at 25 yards

Good lookin' 1911a1....serial # is cool too !!

Any significance to it? Normally I wouldn't buy Taurus but guns and ammo, etc said the pt1911 was a great gun at a great value. Made on old colt dies. I mean it comes match grade barrel etc. They only other taurus I am thinking about getting is the pt740 slim pocket 40 cal as a backup gun. My dad has the taurus public defender in stainless that he likes real well. Also its been a working gun. Its got a few scratches on it. I intend to get it refinished at some point in time.

No significance at all really, I just take notice of the small things...in particular, serial numbers. My Winchester 1894 has 1111 as it last 4 digits and I own a Kel Tec with a serial number of 7997. At gun shows, if I'm buying a firearm and there are three of the same gun there, I'll pick the one with a serial number having multiples of the same digit. Some collectors will buy two guns numbered consecutively. Yours is 9009...kinda unique.

SHOOTER13 said:
No significance at all really, I just take notice of the small things...in particular, serial numbers. My Winchester 1894 has 1111 as it last 4 digits and I own a Kel Tec with a serial number of 7997. At gun shows, if I'm buying a firearm and there are three of the same gun there, I'll pick the one with a serial number having multiples of the same digit. Stone collectors will buy two guns numbered consecutively. Yours is 9009...kinda unique.

I never really looked at it that way. I see what you mean now.

I'm a bit OC about serial numbers as well.

I never was until the Para Ord. 1911 I bought a couple years back. It literally fell apart in my hands the first time out due to sub-standard factory parts and machining. Ten years ago they were a reputable company, but today their QC has gone to $#!+. While filling out the paperwork to send it back to Para for repairs (only so I could sell the damn thing as soon as I got it back) I noticed the last three digits of the serial number were '666'. After more than six months of waiting and back-and-forth with their similarly sub-standard customer service, it truly turned out to be the pistol from HELL!

I finally sold Satan's spawn and will always look at serial numbers before buying a firearm from now on. I'll also never buy another Para Ordnance product and have made it a personal crusade of mine to talk potential buyers out of shelling out their hard earned cash for their overpriced paper weights...

WOW... :shock:

Guess I shouldn't mention my P12-45 huh ?! :D

....666 is the last three numbers of my Bank America checking account !! ...No wonder the damn thing is always empty.

How old is your P-12?

A good friend of mine has a little Warthog .45 that's been flawless for 10+ years, but it was made before they changed management. All of the issues they've been having have been in recent history and they're blaming it on being sold faulty parts by their suppliers. Still doesn't explain how guns with blatant defects get past QC.

If you've got a good one, I love it. I just wish I had the same good fortune...

I bought it used in 1999...off a friend that would bring it to the range and let me shoot it. I told him that if he ever thought of selling it, I would want first shot at it...well he did, so I did. He only had it for maybe a year before I got it, so it was probably made 1997-98. He just took the $$ and upgraded to a full size Para...the P14-45. I paid $400 for it...and it's a shooter. I even carried it for a few years, before I switched to the Glock30 as a concealed carry option. I still shoot it on ocassion.

I had some issues with mine for awhile with extraction/ejection. I was bummed, I hadnt had it that long, though I guess its goin on a year now. I tried cleaning my magazines, different ammo, locking my arms when I shoot, new Colt GI magazines... anything to narrow down the problem.

I didnt oil it enough the first time I cleaned it, (used to cleaning and oiling Mossbergs. Its not the same thing so dont get those confussed, entirely different animals) I thought maybe I messed it up, my issues began shortly after that cleaning.

I found it wasnt a feed issue with the magazines, so I had it bein either extraction or ejection. What was happenin was it would fire and the case would get caught between the ejection opening and the barrel as it was returning to battery with a new round. It would be kinda in a bind and could be difficult to clear sometimes.

I would run ammo through just cycling the action by hand while trying to very closely watchwhat was happening between rounds. I tried to watch while it was being fired too, but its more difficult.

Eventually what I saw was that the round wasnt being pulled free from the extractor, and also noticed sometimes the extractor wasnt even opening enough to grab the rim of the case. The slide would try to slam home without the round being fully seated against the bolt. I had a few "misfires" and other jams.

Before finding this, I was getting ready to take it to a gunsmith.

I pulled the thingy off the back of the slide and pulled the firing pin and extractor. Cleaned and scrubbed everything I could and got all sorts of residue off of it. Put it back together and havent had a problem since! Its been shooting really well, well enough, if it handles another day out without any problems, I'll def consider it for concealed carry! (which I had been putting off because of the issues) I wasnt gonna carry it and put any faith or trust in it if I couldnt make it through a single day of shooting!

100_6071Small.jpg

Oh, I looked at a GI today! Looks great and feels great! Having a hard time holdin onto my money!

Glad you worked through the issue brother.

I love the OD green Springer GI. I'll end up with one before it's all said 'n done...

tnxdshooter said:
I want a trp so bad. I dream about it at night.

Man I know that feelin! I was the same way and it took years before I was able to get what I wanted!

I have the Light Weight Loaded. When I picked up the government length GI I said aloud, "Holy Crap thats heavy!" The owner came over to take a look and said it should only be around 36 oz. I handed hi my 1911 after telling him it was the LW model. He picked it up and was a little surprised too that the aluminum frame made that much of a noticable difference.

Found out the GI is 36 oz and mine is 28 oz. That Gi was sweet though! It has about 50 rounds through it and though its a GI its reasonably tight with a pretty decent trigger! The action was soooo whisper smooth! It felt like, like I dunno, but not the way it should. It didnt feel like a hunk of cold steel, it fit well, like an extension of my hand.

I romanticize the 1911 a little... I just absolutely love it! Double stacks dont fit me well and I dont like compact frames. I need my pinky on the grip, and I know magazines with extensions are available, but then I may as well have a full size gun. The 1911 is a good fit for me, and my daughter is able to shoot it too!!!

Back