• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.30-30 my latest reloads, and the state of the economy

Oh yeah guys, & thanks for all the ideas & technical data. That's a big piece of why I come here.

I'm going to the range this afternoon with 50 rounds of 30-30 and I'm going to blow it through the Mossberg and see what happens. I'm afraid the sight will loosen up again, but if it stays tight I expect to get some better groups this time.

Today is beautiful but the last time I went out with it it was very windy. I could 1 or 2 inch groups at 50 yds, but I couldn't get within three inches of a bullseye.

That might require a little Kentucky windage to hit a hog, but then I'm not going hog shooting.

Thank you guys for cooling off. I was afraid this thread was going to go right down the toilet.

I will say this about "making a benchrest gun out of a lever gun":

I don't care what gun I am holding. If I can twiddle the thing and make it shoot better I will try to do that.

Within reason. I won't spend $1,000 fixing up a $500 gun. But I'll gladly spend $200 and and a bunch of spare time.

I guess that's what a hobby is all about for me.

I am with you. If it don't work, fix it. If you can. But even if it isn't perfect, it is better than it was.

Oh yeah guys, & thanks for all the ideas & technical data. That's a big piece of why I come here.

I'm going to the range this afternoon with 50 rounds of 30-30 and I'm going to blow it through the Mossberg and see what happens. I'm afraid the sight will loosen up again, but if it stays tight I expect to get some better groups this time.

Today is beautiful but the last time I went out with it it was very windy. I could 1 or 2 inch groups at 50 yds, but I couldn't get within three inches of a bullseye.

That might require a little Kentucky windage to hit a hog, but then I'm not going hog shooting.

Now I know pretty much how the rifle shoots. It is tie to doll up the loads. I have enough to test 7 or 8 different powders for the next range trip. But 3 of those powders are almost empty. I can find out within 5 shots if the rifle likes a powder with a certain bullet. If I find a good combination I will make up some loads. As oli700 said, put 3 in the tank and it should be good. I already made it there but now I am going to make a saddle gun shoot like it has some balls. That will take some effort.

Well, sorry, but no range report today. The weather turned quite windy and we decided not to go. Too bad. I was hoping my wife Judy would get to try out her new scope.

I know I'm not doing what the pros are doing & I realize that putting a target scope on a saddle gun is sort of silly; but by that same token just owning one could be considered silly for me, since I don't hunt, I dont play cowboy re-enactment & I don't ride horses.

I own 3 lever guns and a western six-shooter, just as toys, for my own amusement. I'm afraid there's no more to it than that.

If they're not fabulously accurate, well I have other more modern guns for that.

Well, sorry, but no range report today. The weather turned quite windy and we decided not to go. Too bad. I was hoping my wife Judy would get to try out her new scope.

I know I'm not doing what the pros are doing & I realize that putting a target scope on a saddle gun is sort of silly; but by that same token just owning one could be considered silly for me, since I don't hunt, I dont play cowboy re-enactment & I don't ride horses.

I own 3 lever guns and a western six-shooter, just as toys, for my own amusement. I'm afraid there's no more to it than that.

If they're not fabulously accurate, well I have other more modern guns for that.

Don't think about what anyone thinks. It is YOUR hobby. Personally I think cliff climbers and canyon jumping on a motorcycle is as dumb as it gets, but it is THEIR passion, even if it is not mine. The shooting sport is my passion and just about my only activity. I don't have the money to pursue it in any competitive fashion and just affording a club membership costs me more per year in gas than the membership fees. But it is my hobby, my entertainment and venturing off into some other activity would just distract me from my favorite past time...shooting and reloading.

I woke up this morning and immediately made coffee. I got out my Savage Mod 11 .308 and started the J-B process. This morning I am pulling black patches out of my previously "clean" bore. I figure as long as I am in the mood to yank a ramrod up and down the barrel I may as well do it to all my rifles. Now that I have seen the benefit to careful cleaning, rather than "that's good enough" cleaning I may as well see if I can squeeze the groups of my bench guns together. The Savage is responding nicely.

You go have fun when the wind dies down. I will get my hands filthy here.

While we are here: I am assuming the black stuff I am getting on my J-B patches after 10 in and out pulls are the gunk I am after. That does not seem to end. Is the J-B supposed to turn black or is that just the polish turning black? I am not seeing any real discoloration on my solvent soaked patches.

dude they are killer......

one of the best brush guns invented is a stubby leaver 30-30....IMO

One of the best? Yes. Absolutely. But.....

The correct answer:

It's a lever in .35-Remington cuz it's a dream to shoot ammo using pistol bullets for fun and whatever AND especially if you are reloading like many of the men do who are posting in this thread.

But .30-30 Winchester is a STRONG second place "best in class" for a lever gun.

Just thinking out loud here but .45-70 Gov't is almost a tie for second spot alongside the .30-30 cuz both are just so excellent.

JMHO

People seem to find enjoyment bashing Oklahoma, however if you like guns it is a great place. No problems getting ammo here. Walmart is hit and miss,no pun intended, but the local gun shops have all the ammo I want or need. It's a bit higher than Walmart, but they always have what I am looking for.

One of the best? Yes. Absolutely. But.....

The correct answer:

It's a lever in .35-Remington cuz it's a dream to shoot ammo using pistol bullets for fun and whatever AND especially if you are reloading like many of the men do who are posting in this thread.

But .30-30 Winchester is a STRONG second place "best in class" for a lever gun.

Just thinking out loud here but .45-70 Gov't is almost a tie for second spot alongside the .30-30 cuz both are just so excellent.

JMHO
works for me, dont know the first thing about .35 Remington but I'll take your word for it

. . .While we are here: I am assuming the black stuff I am getting on my J-B patches after 10 in and out pulls are the gunk I am after. That does not seem to end. Is the J-B supposed to turn black or is that just the polish turning black? I am not seeing any real discoloration on my solvent soaked patches.

I haven't used J-B but if it's for removing metal fouling it contains a mild acid to dissolve the lead and copper.

When that acid acts on lead it turns the resultant crud black. copper I'm not sure, probably blackish green.

Put some on a lead bullet & wipe it, then see what color you get. I'm pretty sure it'll be black.

I haven't messed with the lever guns lately. I'm still trying to fix the stock on my shotgun.
It's almost ready for me to fake woodgrain the fiberglass patches.

I haven't used J-B but if it's for removing metal fouling it contains a mild acid to dissolve the lead and copper.

When that acid acts on lead it turns the resultant crud black. copper I'm not sure, probably blackish green.

Put some on a lead bullet & wipe it, then see what color you get. I'm pretty sure it'll be black.

I haven't messed with the lever guns lately. I'm still trying to fix the stock on my shotgun.
It's almost ready for me to fake woodgrain the fiberglass patches.

I talked to a tech at Brownell's and he said the patches will always be black if it has been used with J-B. It is a polish so it will turn black. No big. Whatever it was, was but ain't no mo. It has to be better than before. I was too lazy in the cleaning I guess. I figured the solvents would do it all. But...as usual I got caught thinking again.

I am going to see a friend tomorrow who just bought a bore scope. I will take the 464 and both of my 22s and see just what's what. The Marlin 60 has not been manhandled with the J-B or anything special. Just a normal scrubbing with Hoppe's. I should have one very clean, one clean and one kinda clean. None have been shot a lot. All the heavy use guns I used to have are gone. Just for fun may take a blackpowder rifle also. It should be a good learning experience.

I am going to post this info here too, as I already posted it in my other thread :I just joined the club..."

I took my Savage Model 11 V/T and the Mossy 464 to visit a friend who has just purchased the Lyman bore scope, and he needed a vic...a test subject or 2 to compare with his guns. Not much of a bore comparison. His guns were old pump and single shot 22s. He is addicted to old rifles and he has been busy rebuilding the ones he has stumbled upon.

He looked into my rifles and gave both a 100% Perfectly Clean Bill of Health. After wearing out an arm and a couple ramrods, not to mention dirtying up mucho patches...NOT Batches...as in we don need no... the bores in both rifles are squeaky clean and hopefully the crappy accuracy will be a thing of the past. I know the accuracy improved a lot after a thorough bore cleaning but I pulled the bolt and firing pin, and the lever and all that stuff and gave it a scrubbing to remove as much factory glop as possible.

I could feel the sticky feel inside the chamber and the throat must have been coated too. The area at and just ahead of the shoulder was where the most sticky stiff was found. After "Kroiling" the chamber and barrel I did the J-B treatment and I could feel the difference when I finally swabbed the bore with Hoppe's. Next trip to the range will tell me if the extra effort had an effect on the accuracy.

Back