• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Model 51414

typ0

Copper BB
Does anyone have any experience with this model from Mossberg? Supposed to come with the LPA trigger, fluted barrel and 3 dot sights. I ordered one but when it came in it didn't have the 3 dot sights, it has a bead. I called Mossberg CS and they were very nice and had me send it to them on their dime so the could replace the bead with 3 dots. After they get it they call me and say they can't put 3 dots on a fluted barrel, can't put GR's on either, has to be a bead on the fluted barrel. I told them they are advertising it with 3 dots and they said it is an error. This is still how they have it in the description on their web site, but the picture does show a bead.

Anybody else bought one like this? I can't believe I'm the first person to run across this. And for those bead lovers I know, I know. I'm not going duck hunting though, I'm going to be shooting slugs and it would have been nice to know exactly where that puppy's going.

Also in case anyone else is interested. I bought one of the Knoxx Stock Recoil Reducing Adjustable stocks to go on it. Doesn't fit with the LPA trigger. Talked to Backhawk about it and they know about the problem but they aren't telling anyone either I guess. Said they were coming out with a new version in a month or two. Great, but now I have a stock I have to sell and probably loose some money on.

I was trying to put together a gun my wife could handle. Thought I was there but didn't work out as anticipated. The LPA trigger and fluted barrel are pretty nice though.

Thats amazing, I hadnt even looked at this model before. I cant believe they would advertise it this way knowing it cant go together like that. And then leave it up, totally misrepresented...

I am so calling Mossberg! I dont think it will resolve your issues, but hopefully theyll change the way this model is advertised.

I do not have any personal experience with the Mossberg 590A1 model 51414 but it is unfortunate that they have a misprint on their website. I know they are currently working on a lot of features to their website but it should definitely be fixed. That is unfortunate to hear about the BlackHawk Knoxx stock not fitting with the LPA trigger. I know the new one is redesigned but I have a feeling that one might not fit either.

I spoke with Blackhawk when I sold my Knoxx Stock. The GenII stock will fit the LPA trigger. At least that is what they claim. :)

They guy I talked to at Blackhawk said it would fit. When I started telling him the problems I was having I didn't even finish when he said, "I bet you have an LPA trigger." I already knew that was the problem because I have a friend with a 590A1 and we had compared them and came to the conclusion it wasn't going on correctly. Trigger guard is shaped slightly different. I asked Blackhawk if they would swap it for me when it came out and since I didn't buy it from them he said no. I think my friend is going to buy it from me for almost what I paid for it. I could have probably sent it back to where I bought it from and took a loss on shipping both ways but this way I won't loose quite as much and he gets a slightly better deal than if he bought one from them.

Their 2011 catalog also shows this model as having 3 dot sights ... you could get your money back. Sorry it is such a terrible experience for you and I hope it all works out.

Its not a terrible experience. Didn't mean for it to sound that way. I posted mainly to see if anyone did have one with 3 dots and the fluted barrel. Wanted to see if maybe someone didn't know what they were talking about at the El Paso repair facility where I sent it and they actually could put them on. Doesn't really make sense to me that they can't but I'm not a smith. The flutes don't go all the way to the end.

I bought it from Bud's and could have refused it when I picked it up but I had already been waiting for it for over 3 weeks and just wanted to get it by then and didn't want my LGS to hassle with sending it back. I took a chance that Mossberg would help me out and at first it looked like I was in luck but then it didn't work out. I'll just find something else to use, like a big dot.

I was more disappointed in Blackhawk that they knew about their problem with their Knoxx stock and didn't bother to put anything on their web site to keep people like me from buying one that doesn't fit. But oh well. it will all be good in the end. Just gonna take me longer to get it setup.

I do like the LPA trigger and the flutes look bad ass. Thought they would help lighten the gun for my wife. Just trying to make it as small and light as possible. I'm still happy with it, just not as happy as I would have been.

Would have liked for things to have been as described for you and I'm sorry it isnt as advertised, I can understand your frustration for sure.

Another option to reduce the length and make it more managable for your wife may be to use the Hogue short LOP, unless you have your heart set on the new BlackHawk.

Rossignol said:
Thats amazing, I hadnt even looked at this model before. I cant believe they would advertise it this way knowing it cant go together like that. And then leave it up, totally misrepresented...

I am so calling Mossberg! I dont think it will resolve your issues, but hopefully theyll change the way this model is advertised.

I realize this thread is really old but I have to comment.
I just ordered this model #51414 in part for the LPA trigger, speedfeed stock and fluted barrel with 3 dot sights.
Well I haven't received it yet but now I'm a little ticked to find out that it has a bead sight and can't be fitted with Ghost ring or 3 dots.

It's only been 3 years since this thread and they still don't have it listed correctly?

I'm sure I'll do just fine with the bead sight but it just isn't right that they can't even list their own products accurately on the website!

Oh well, I just wanted to bring this to someone who might be able to clear some cobwebs out of their closet, and update the site to be correct. I look forward to my new 590A1, but this kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth about mossberg.
Hope the gun they make is more accurate than their website that represents their brand products!
Steve

Stegle said:
Oh well, I just wanted to bring this to someone who might be able to clear some cobwebs out of their closet, and update the site to be correct.

Mossberg Owners message board is not affiliated Mossberg the gun manufacturer so it will probably stay incorrect on the website. The picture does show it with the bead site. It's unreal that it's still wrong 3 years later.

On the other hand, you have one very heavy duty shotgun on order. I wanted the ghost ring sights too but thanks to the buying hysteria 1 1/2 years ago I got the model 51411 with bead sight. I would suggest trying it out as delivered. I was far more accurate with a bead sight than I thought I would be. I did swap the factory bead for a Meprolight glowing bead for low light. If you still don't like the bead, Mossberg sells a ghost ring sight kit. It is drilled and tapped for the rear sight but the front one is silver soldered in place. After that new parkerized finish can be applied.

Please post up how it's working for you after you receive it.

carbinemike said:
Stegle said:
Oh well, I just wanted to bring this to someone who might be able to clear some cobwebs out of their closet, and update the site to be correct.

Mossberg Owners message board is not affiliated Mossberg the gun manufacturer so it will probably stay incorrect on the website. The picture does show it with the bead site. It's unreal that it's still wrong 3 years later.

On the other hand, you have one very heavy duty shotgun on order. I wanted the ghost ring sights too but thanks to the buying hysteria 1 1/2 years ago I got the model 51411 with bead sight. I would suggest trying it out as delivered. I was far more accurate with a bead sight than I thought I would be. I did swap the factory bead for a Meprolight glowing bead for low light. If you still don't like the bead, Mossberg sells a ghost ring sight kit. It is drilled and tapped for the rear sight but the front one is silver soldered in place. After that new parkerized finish can be applied.

Please post up how it's working for you after you receive it.
-------------

I do realize that this site isn't associated with the manufacturer, but thought if anyone had any connections to someone at Mossberg, it could be brought to their attention. I'm going to give the bead sight a good go and hope that I like it the way it is. For my main use of home defense I think it will be fine with a flashlight installed. That's what I'm researching right now but just head spinning with all the choices available!
I enjoy that though, and won't choose until I've read enough reviews and opinions to come to my own conclusion.
I will post up my experience with the overall gun and how it works for me. I'm excited to get it and start shooting for fun and also knowing I've got one of the best made weapons available to defend my family if needed! I watched the video on "The history of the shotgun" with much admiration for its role in our country as a very loud speaking weapon to anyone on the wrong side of its barrel!

Well I thought I was going to be coming home tonight with my new 590. Got to the FFL, opened it up and went googoo over how awesome it looked but then...I see no speedfeed stock, just a plain black synthetic stock. It was a 51414, no 3 dot sight or speedfeed stock like their own website lists. I knew it would be a bead sight, but no SPFD made it a no take possession. The FFL wasn't sure how it would be handled yet but will call me in the morning to let me know.
He said maybe I'd get lucky and they would just let me take it and a new SPFD would be shipped to me.
I said that would be nice but probably won't go that easy! How can Mossberg be making these kinds of errors and still be doing such high volume of sales? I know they make quality arms, but between not even labeling their product accurately, or updating the info, and then boxing up an incorrect configuration to boot!
Okay, my rant is over...lol. It's just a little frustrating getting pumped up and then getting my excitement deflated.
There wasn't a scratch, or rust in barrel, or any imperfections in the finish. That's why I hope they let me have THAT one!!

Steve

Damn, that sucks.

I hope they get it straightened out for you. Keep us posted on your resolution...

It sucks to get your hopes up only to have them dashed. At least you realized it wasn't what you wanted before taking possession. Like Les wrote, keep us posted.

Back