• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

835 Intrigue

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
My story of intrigue begins with patterning. The 835 with its x-factor turkey choke has turned upside down nearly everything I've come to understand about my ammo choices.

I've long advocated for premium ammo like the Federal FliteControl. This sort of ammo as most know, is all about the wad technology with applications from law enforcement to personal defense to hunting. The FliteControl wad is found in the desirable 2-3/4" 00 buck in the LE, PD, and VitalShok lines (maybe others?). There are a number of chamberings available for hunting, from waterfowl and upland game to turkey. What's my point in mentioning this?

While these premium loads are somewhat expensive, they can transform barrel performance from mediocre to "oh snap, I'm taking this thing everywhere!"

I'm finding what I've learned to not necessarily apply to a 20" overbored, xtra-full choked barrel.

I've fired a number of the most common loads from like barrels at a variety of distances to gain an understanding of performance to be applied to various situations. I've patterned at home defense ranges, 7 to 10 yards. I've patterned out to 40 and 50 yards when the load would hold up, (there has really only been one, enter the Federal FliteControl), and I've patterned loads anywhere in between.

Ill relate an anecdotal story. Something was messin with my chickens the other night. I grabbed my 500 with meprolight bead and loaded the Federal. I found the predator by the reflection of its eyes easily 35 yards out. I put the tritium bead on that only target in the dark and fired. It died where I spotted it. It didn't run, it balled up and died. Aim small miss small, and load 00 buck that holds an excellent pattern at range.

Enter that 835. While I have my preferences, at close enough range (home defense distances) nearly everything becomes a precision projectile. The Winchester SuperX has always been at the bottom of my list in every way but for price. I've found that beyond 10 yards its a liability as I couldn't track all the pellets. In some cases I understand this wouldn't be an issue but if the pattern opens that much, it's entirely possible for the load to be ineffective by not putting enough projectiles on target. Therefore again, liability.

That said, I just pushed that load out to 25 yards and counted every pellet on target. Winchester SuperX has almost the least technology in it. It's old style shotshell ammunition so why did it perform so much better than Hornady Critical Defense with the VersaTite which is the same as the FliteControl? (though not the same in performance).

It seems the xtra-full choke likes cheap, fast moving, old style loads. The slower moving FliteControl did better than the faster VersaTite but still not impressive.

This becomes an issue to me as I've invested in fast moving, full power 3" magnum shells with the VersaTite. I patterned the loads, but I didn't see the dense patterns that are desirable for turkey hunting. The patterns aren't terrible, I'm still confident with shot placement and that density is enough to put plenty of holes all in and about a turkeys head and neck.

However, I'm not satisfied my search in ammo is over the way I am with the 00 I keep in my 20" 500. I believe I'm going to grab a couple or few boxes of less expensive magnums. Stuff with less technological advancement. Down the road I'd like to test other chokes with the FliteControl though. I'd like to put together something almost comprehensive and educational. Since both guns are 20" barrels, the only difference being the choke tube, I'd like to establish a control and hypothesis and then put my assumptions to the test. It may take awhile.

If anyone has suggestions on choke tubes or manufacturers to check out, ill glady look into them. Until then, I submit to the community my early findings for analysis, all fired from the 835;

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Great post Brad. Informative for sure and I am really looking forward to more of this topic.

I told you you'd love it.....:cool:

Good article Brad...

Here's some of the choke tubes ( manufacturer websites ) I've used in the past...

I've narrowed the search to fit your Mossberg 835:

===============================

http://www.briley.com/mossberg835and935.aspx

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-product-details.php?Mossberg 835-Choke-Tubes&mf=15

http://www.trulockchokes.com/get-chokes.php?manufacturers_id=52&guage=12&seechokes=See Chokes

https://www.patternmaster.com/products/1043_12ga_Mossberg_835_935_Classic

=============================

Thanks fellas, this kinda stuff I can wrap my head around and get into, it keeps my mind busy in a mundane way.

Thanks Shooter, ill check those out!

I've been doing some reading on several choke tube manufacturers web sites. I had read in a few places that its not recommended to use any ammunition that utilizes the FliteControl wad in some chokes but I couldn't find an explanation.

Until I read further on Brileys site. Briley states that ported choke tubes can interfere with the performance of the wad technology.

Still, in my mind, the question remains;
Since the wad was designed to boost performance from barrels with less constriction, originating from a law enforment application, is the wad even necessary with a barrel that is properly choked for the desired application?

In my example, I use a cylinder bore 500 20" Persuader next to a turkey choked 835 also a 20" barrel. I've found through experimenting with different loads that the FliteControl wad vastly improves patterns in one while remaining unimpressive in the other. Is it possible it's because the turkey choke is extended and ported I wonder?

To answer my questions, and hopefully to help others in the future choose the best choke tube/ammo combination, ill eventually have to purchase another turkey choke that isn't ported, and a couple chokes of the same constriction (improved maybe?) one ported and another not.

Ill fire all the ammo through both guns (and each choke tube) at the same distance.

Last edited:
Maybe there's someone here who can sell or in good graces loan you some of their extras?

If I'm reading it right, it looks like the 835 system is different than the standard Mossberg chokes.

Man, also finding some very strange sounding and conflicting information.

Some say the choke is designed to strip the wad from the shot for maximum pattern density. Why? How is that helpful?

Not all manufacturers sites say not to use anything like FliteControl. Primarily I've seen it on three;
Briley, Carlsons, and Pattern Master.

Strangely, the warning is absent on sites from Trulock and Colonial Choke and Tool.

Have you looked at truglo chokes? Their strut stoppers are sweet...i have the
Truglo Strut Stopper Xtreme...not sure if theymake it anymore, but iit's pattern is tight as hell....with everything I had tried to shoot.

That's interesting, ill add that to the list.

I think what I'll do, is come Friday, ill make time to call these places, try talking to reps from each. Something of an interview perhaps, and ill field my questions to each and chronicle their responses.

At this point, the choke tube it's self and its purpose is not a mystery, but some of the information available on the webs makes the waters muddy.

Maybe you just have a picky gun. If you want to try a Primos Jellyhead let me know. I'm not going to use it this year. You can test it out ant it'll only cost you the shipping back to MI when you are done.

I'll have to look, I'm not sure if I have any others for the 835.

I've honestly had my best luck with std rounds as well, but I have not tried to many of the more specialized rounds.

Some of the more heavy shot and others were designed around specific chokes that they also sell. I've also found the the tightest choke is not always the best at producing tight patterns.

I had a straight rifled choke years aco that was supposed to stabilize the wad and produce tighter patterns but i never had much luck with it. I gave it to RickMo some time back and I'm not sure he had much luck with it either.

My best patterns to date have been with my 930/870 shooting Win AA 3" #5's using a bargain bin Primos tite-wad choke. Oddly that is also the cheapest combination choke/shell I have used.

I've bought a lot of tubes from http://www.choketube.com/

They tend to run decent sales if you keep checking often.

Thanks Mike, I may take you up on that, I'm not in a hurry by any means so its no rush.

Here's another choke manufacturer site for your Mossy 835 Brad:

======================

http://www.wadwizard.com/index.htm

=========================

...and some info from the Mossberg site regarding the 835:

ACCU-CHOKE™ TUBES: The Accu-Choke™ tube system is used on Mossberg® 500®, 505™, 535™, 930™ and Maverick® 88™ shotgun barrels. These tubes handle lead, steel and other non-toxic loads and are stamped with one of three pattern designations: Full, Modified, Improved Cylinder. Special Accu-Choke™ tubes include XXFull Turkey and Skeet.

Accu-Choke™ and Accu-Mag™ choke tubes are not interchangeable.

ACCU-MAG™ CHOKE TUBES: Mossberg® 12-gauge 835®, 935™ and Maverick® 91™ model Accu-Mag™ choke tubes are substantially larger in overall length and diameter than the 12-gauge Accu-Choke™ tubes. Although both models are 12- gauge, 935™ and 835® 12-gauge barrels are overbored to 10-gauge dimensions.

835muzzle500.gif

12-GAUGE MUZZLE COMPARISON: (.775) Overbored 12-gauge 835 Ulti-Mag barrel (left) -vs- our standard (.731) 12-gauge barrel (both barrels are shown with flush-fitting choke tubes installed).

===================================

http://www.mossberg.com/resources/shotgun/chokes

===================================

Shooter, good lookin out! The accu-mag, that's it, I knew I wasn't imagining!

Checking out wadwizard, difficult to navigate on my phone...

Among my goals, is to find a choke/buckshot combination that is AWESOME! I wanna be able to reach out and touch some coyotes, (in the absence of a rifle).

I'll talk to some reps, gather info, and see if its possible to get the straight poop, all charts, graphs, and pattern images aside. I have lots of "whys?" to answer.

Now let me ask each of you;
What would such a test look like? How would a control be established? With the 500?

First sample question;
It's assumed the choked gun should yield a more dense pattern with a given load, but that isn't necessarily true. That's the first "why". The simple answer I've found thus far is that loads utilizing FliteControl or like wads, are not recommended for use in ported tubes, yet this may not be universal.

It will likely take me awhile, and possibly quite a bit of shooting, but I'm willing to do it! ;)

Excellent, yes! I want to learn all the ways of the Jedi (or sith?) and be as versatile as possible!

I hunt turkeys with mine. Mine likes the Winchester Supreme 2 oz. 3 1/2 load ($12/10). I have tried other more expensive loads as well as several choke tubes and it was not satisfactory. Factory .690 Ulti-Full choke and old school shotshells is what mine likes for turkeys.
Several of my buddies that had 835's sold theirs for Remington, Bennelli, and Stoeger 3 1/2 in. guns and the more exotic (read that expensive) shells that utilize tungsten and other heavier than lead loads. Almost to the man, they have came back to the 835 and old school shotshells.
I have never shot 00 buck through my 835,but if I hunted Coyotes with it, I would. I would start with the factory full choke tube (.725?) and move up from there. You would think with the over-boring in the barrels they would pattern great.
Remember too, that most of the Mossy factory barrels are ported. If ported tubes and the FlightControl and the Versatight wads are a no-go, I wonder why you would treat the ported barrels differently.

@tcecil88
Thanks for that insight.

I don't have the ported barrel, but I do have a factory ported extended turkey choke.

I would like to mimic the performance of the FliteControl I get with my 500 but with the 3" shells.

I've also read the turkey chokes shouldn't be used for buckshot. I don't know if its because it lengthens the shot string or what.

Patternmaster's site has some decent info with regard to how their chokes affects the shot wad being stripped from the payload to prevent a longer shot string.

So much to sort through and I'm going to get to he bottom of it. I'm gonna get my gun running awesome and at the same time share my experiences and maybe put together a guide to help others who may be noobs such as myself.

Back