• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

any input on a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40?

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
The topic pretty much says it all other than I was leaning toward the doa reticle. I'm considering one for a .308 bolt action. They seem to be running about $310 right now although I'm hoping to snag a holiday sale.

check out midwayusa.com 199. and overstocked.com 166.
im not sure if this is the exact same. take a look.

Have one myself. It is one my Remi LTR in .308. I put on some leupold rings, nothing super exotic or expensive. The scope has never lost its zero. Many times when I clean my rifle I pick it up by the scope. Maybe not the best treatment but I also don't consider it harsh treatment. I thought the elite is nice and bright, even brighter that a leupold that may cost even a little more.

Thanks Megawatt and Oldmossy!

I'll definitely look at those places when I'm ready to buy and it's nice to get some feedback from someone that has the particular item you're interested in.

The advice I got up to now was "stay away from Bushnell scopes lower than the Elite series" and reviews people post at places like Optics Planet.

thanks again.

^ The elitism you run into with the optics crowd is WAY worse than it is with firearms...

Remember good glass is EXPENSIVE! Nobody wants to spend a lot of $$ and report that it is not a good purchase, but they will quickly talk about how a lower cost scope sucks.

Are these illuminated at all?

Amazon had one for $269, but it said "firefly" after it. I don't know if that's a reticle style or not?

The firefly has a regular cross reticle that when you shine a supplied (I think it's supplied) light into the scope for 5-10 seconds it will glow for some time for use in low light situations. I think the scope is the same as the one I mentioned but the firefly reticle model costs less.

I think this is the firefly:
firefly-illum.jpg

I ordered the Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 from Optics Planet 13 days ago. It shipped early last week with a delivery for today. Nothing yet. If I had waited they had free 2 day shipping Wednesday last week and free 1 day shipping last Thursday. I feel kind of screwed for actually ordering earlier. I'd have it right now if I had ordered a week later. Oh well, it will get here...just venting.

Hey, the scope arrive 2 weeks after ordering it! Initial impression is very nicely made, good fit and finish and very clear. I'll post a real review when I get it mounted and test it.

Speaking of rings...I was at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA and had some questions on scope rings but the floor guys said ring questions have to go to the gun counter which was 1 hour plus wait so I'll have to get some elsewhere. Not a good set up for making a customer happy.

Sorry LES, I never saw your offer for ring help until today. It was mostly which Weaver style rings to get to keep the scope as low as possible. I got some rings at Bass Pro after the state capital protest.

I bore sighted it to get it close. Today I finally got to the range to try out the new rifle and scope. I really liked the scope. Very clear and easy to use. Positive and audible clicks. I started at 25 yards and was 2" right which was easy to correct. I wasn't able to stay to long as it started snowing before I could go to the 100 yard range. I'll report back as I use it more but thus fart I am happy with it.

I'm trying to get back tomorrow as a buddy finalized his 9 month journey to acquire a silencer this week and he plans to try it out.

I too am interested in your range report. I picked a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with the DOA 600 reticle thinking it would be a good fit for my Remmy 700 .308. I found out later that the reticle did not work for the .308 because it was not fast enough. I was going to send it back, but I scratched it when I put it on the rifle. Not to worry, a quick trip to the LGS and after a little haggling, I have a new Savage 111 in .30-06 coming. The morale of the story here is to do lots of research before you buy something, and if you have any doubts, don't buy it.

Tcecil88 I'll definitely post up how it does and can shoot at my range out to 300 yards...it may take some time though to get enough decent data.

Back