• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone here call themselves a chainsaw or axe geek?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Because we have a lot of farm fence maintenance, plus storm blow-downs etc etc I am mesmerized by power saws and axes and even hatchets and the machete.

Anyone else?

Have 5-6 axes, both chopping and splitting, a splitting maul, a splitting wedge, plus a boy's ax for tree trimming and a couple hatchets. Manual pole saw and one old powered chainsaw which is seldom used.

Regards

I think I have four or five axes or hatchets, and 5 chainsaws as well.

It's a disease, I tell ya'

This week I bought a STIHL 500i which is 80-cc and fuel injected instead of carbureted and is a freaking monster cutter.

I think I have four or five axes or hatchets, and 5 chainsaws as well.

It's a disease, I tell ya'

This week I bought a STIHL 500i which is 80-cc and fuel injected instead of carbureted and is a freaking monster cutter.
Yowzah...I looked that one up...that's a big boy saw fo sho! What size bar on yours? I see they come with 20"/24" or 32".

Of course, this is going to be my largest saw. I won't be going any bigger that's for sure.

Here are my others.

An electric 8" Milwaukee

A 28-cc top handle with a 12" bar

A 40-cc with a 16" bar

A 50-cc with an 18" bar

A 60-cc with a 20" bar

Attachments

• Five saws.jpeg
    Five saws.jpeg
    728.7 KB · Views: 3
Alright, so now what???

One son is getting my 40-cc 16" saw and another son is getting my 50-cc w/ 18" bar. They'll be used for storm cleanup and trimming and campfire wood.

So I replaced those two with a STIHL professional MS261 C-M. It has the M-Tronic digital monitoring system so no carb adjustments ever.

That's a nice saw. Stihl makes good stuff. I have a Stihl gas trimmer and leaf blower...they're bullet proof. As long as you've got some fresh mix in the spring...they start real easy, a little more finicky if I've got old gas in there but LOL...they'll still run.

I've got a Husqvarna saw w/18" bar...it's pushing 15 or 20 years old and I can't remember what model or cc's it is. I also got a little Dewalt battery chainsaw w/ 12" bar. It's not bad at all and the nice part is during hunting season I can throw it in the back or front of the truck with an extra battery and it doesn't stink up the joint with gas fumes.

I have a few ol' ratty Craftsman 20"-ers, 46ccs. The first one I bought new, "open box" for half-price, but it was defective, the repair center couldn't/didn't fix it under warranty, I went back to the store and the salesman grabbed a brand new one off the shelf and gave it to me. THAT saw performed admirably after Hurricane Charley in 2004, cutting 100s (1000s) of feet of downed trees for seemingly months. Then I picked up an identical saw about 10yrs later for $20, put new fuel lines and that one works good. Then another $20 project came along last year but this one was a little bigger with a 52cc engine. Replaced the pulse tube and it ran good.

I have a pole saw attachment for my Ryobi power heads (both 2 and 4 stroke) that works good I think it is a total of 8' long.

For $50 (half-price on sale) I got a little Ryobi 18v 10" that is savage and grabs like a motherflucker! The electric torque doesn't have a soul... I have a S-load of Ryobi 18v tools and have nothing but good to say about them... :) They are on the heavy side compared to some of the new brushless stuff but I have a 20yo drill I use every day. :) The battery for it is long gone but many of my batteries are going on 5yo now. I used to pick up a pair every year during Home Depot's BF sale (ie: this week), but with about a dozen batteries still going strong, I've skipped the past couple years.

My whole property is only 1/3 of an acre, and I only have seven trees so I really don’t need a gasoline chainsaw. I can get everywhere with an electric cord and the only time I need it is if the wind brings down a big branch or something. That’s only happened a couple times in 20 years.

I don’t do firewood anymore, now that my fireplace is an aquarium. Face it, I live in the desert. It’s down to freezing maybe two nights a year here. I heat with natural gas.image.jpg
There’s my 4.5 hp McCulloch ElectroMac. It’s on the bottom shelf of my workbench, way in back, and you can see it hasn’t moved in years. When my trees need pruning I hire 4 Mexican guys, and they come out here and knock it all down in three hours.

I keep a pole saw and a roofing hatchet, plus the fake tomahawk, made out of CNC cut plate.

Did y'all know that the newest battery powered small saws WILL NOT STOP the motor if the chain hits chainsaw chaps, which a gasoline engine saw will stop in an instant?

They Might not stop that Electromac. Full torque at zero RPM, but it doesn’t wind up to 20,000 rpm. Inertia counts for a lot when sawing.

When I worked at the rental yard, my favorite saws were the Echos. Lots of rpm. Easy to start. The big saws with 36” bars were all Stihl.

BTW, I have been watching various videos of axe making, tool making and hardfacing. We did a lot of hardfacing at the rental yard.

When I worked at the rental yard, my favorite saws were the Echos. Lots of rpm. Easy to start. The big saws with 36” bars were all Stihl.

BTW, I have been watching various videos of axe making, tool making and hardfacing. We did a lot of hardfacing at the rental yard.

I'm a huge Echo fan.

Here are two axe making videos that I know you will LOVE, @CaddmannQ

Back