• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone shoot clays with their SPX?

SoCal Choppas

.270 WIN
just wondering if anyone used a clay thrower and shot them with their SPX?

just wondering if the barrel is really too short to have any effect.

I have not done it (yet) however I was shooting clays recently and one of the guys that was with us had a pump Remi 18" cylinder bore barrel. He was still able to turn clays to powder on the skeet range. Granted if the pigeon got past the middle of the range then any hit was greatly minimized due to the shot spread. But shure the SPX can go out and have some fun on the range with clays.

I do it from time to time. I've never shot a round of regulation trap where the clay starts out at least 15' from you but I've shot a few hundred using my own thrower where the clay starts out right in front of you. That's how I broke in my SPX when it came back from Mossberg after repairs - about 200 clays.

Good to hear...I'll be picking up a Trius One Step, seems to be the only one manual thrower that actually has decent reviews.

1-Step%20Lg.jpg

SoCal Choppas said:
just wondering if anyone used a clay thrower and shot them with their SPX?

just wondering if the barrel is really too short to have any effect.

barrel length doesn't affect anything. the point of long barrels for clays is purely for the sight radius.

shot clays a couple times with a saiga 12, 19" barrel with a red dot optic just for laughs, it's almost too easy. with the optic the barrel isnt obstructing your view. just put the red dot on the clay and bang.

spx should smoke clays just fine.

bani said:
barrel length doesn't affect anything. the point of long barrels for clays is purely for the sight radius.

So ... by extension you're saying that sight radius doesn't "affect anything"? :?:

SoCal, I have the One Step. It's a good thrower for someone who shoots alone.

Mudinyeri said:
bani said:

So ... by extension you're saying that sight radius doesn't "affect anything"? :?:

sight radius only matters if you are using iron sights.

if you have optics, the barrel length is irrelevant.

bani said:
Mudinyeri said:
bani said:

sight radius only matters if you are using iron sights.

if you have optics, the barrel length is irrelevant.

I've never seen anyone shoot trap with optics. :D

Mudinyeri said:
I've never seen anyone shoot trap with optics. :D

throw a burris speedbead on the shortest barrel you can find. you'll have a fantastic sight with no parallax and no barrel to obstruct your view. it's also a 100% cure for any eye dominance issues.

you should try it sometime. it's great fun.

SoCal Choppas said:
Good to hear...I'll be picking up a Trius One Step, seems to be the only one manual thrower that actually has decent reviews.

1-Step%20Lg.jpg

LOVE my One Step!
Got it as a Cristmas present from my wife a few years ago.
It does not see much use since I joined a club and shoot clays there 3 days a week, but every now and then my friends and I grab our throwers and a few cases of clays and hit a field and have a great time.

As for shooting a short barreled shotgun, if you are looking to be competetive in any of the clay games, a short barrel will not serve you well! If you are going out to have some fun then it will be fine!

Back