• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AR Photo Thread

Ugh, I just lost my response I had typed, so for now you get the short version...

That 5 G I have spent is only 5 or 6 guns. One of which is about $950 for a Bushmaster, it was either a varminter or v-match;

like these,
PCWVMS%2016.jpg

PCWVMS-24FVAR9.jpg

But again, there are other squeaky wheels needing to be oiled first! ;)

Re: AR15 This!

I guess I've gone more in the "standardization" direction with my defensive weapons. I just "built" another AR based on a Plum Crazy polymer lower. Got it out for the first time last night. For some reason the bolt isn't locking back after the last round but, other than that, I'm very happy with the results. I'm sure I just need to do a little tuning to rectify the bolt/lock issue.

All that to say, standardization across caliber and operating system has its advantages.

Mudinyeri said:
I guess I've gone more in the "standardization" direction with my defensive weapons. I just "built" another AR based on a Plum Crazy polymer lower. Got it out for the first time last night. For some reason the bolt isn't locking back after the last round but, other than that, I'm very happy with the results. I'm sure I just need to do a little tuning to rectify the bolt/lock issue.

All that to say, standardization across caliber and operating system has its advantages.

I built an AR using a Plumb Crazy Lower, Mine has a 7.62x39 flavor, It works well, The only issue I have had is some steel case com-bloc ammo didn't fire, It struck well on the primer, But it just didn't go off.
Best of luck with your PCF AR.

For what its worth, (from me not much cuz I know next to nothing bout AR's) but for a 7.62 or .308 I'll buy already built. The AR 10 might be a little less expensive than what I want, I dont know for sure...

The biggest advatage I see to the AR 10 is being able to do some customization with components, which you may not get otherwise.

I'll keep watching and learnin though!

I love my Bushy Varminter.

It's a tight printing machine, but if I had it to do all over again I'd go with the 20" inch Predator model instead. You don't really get any benefit in ballistics out of the extra length.

Rossignol said:
Ugh, I just lost my response I had typed, so for now you get the short version...

That 5 G I have spent is only 5 or 6 guns. One of which is about $950 for a Bushmaster, it was either a varminter or v-match;

like these,
PCWVMS%2016.jpg

PCWVMS-24FVAR9.jpg

But again, there are other squeaky wheels needing to be oiled first! ;)

Good choices.

Another one to consider, along the same style is the Rock River Predator Pursuit.

rra_pred_purs_20.jpg

Specs from their ad:
223 Wylde Chamber---Forged A4 Upper Receiver---20" Wilson Air-Gauged Heavy Match Stainless Barrel 1:8 Twist--- Hogue Rubber Grip---A2 Buttstock---Two Stage Match Trigger w/ RRA Winter Trigger Guard---Knurled and Fluted Free Float Aluminum Tube Handguard---Weaver Style Light Varmit Gas Block W/ Sight Rail

I will say, right out of the box, we put a scope on his and it with Blackhills 60gr Vmax, he was printing .625 groups @ 100yds. Not too shabby for bone stock. ;)

A friend of mine was looking for something like this and those Bushy's a while back. I told him to check with this site:

http://www.ar15sales.com/rracomp.htm

Call them up, ask for Pete. He's a bit GRUFF on the phone, mainly from dealing with all the Mall-Ninjas, but he knows his stuff, treats his 'customers' very well, and will give you a good price ;)

For a 'first' AR, I would recommend the 5.56/.223. The reasoning is - availability of parts, interchangeability with just about any manufacturer (besides some of the infamous COLTs :roll: ), cheaper to shoot and reload, lots of choices in ammo types, lighter, etc, etc, etc.

To address knock-down power, build or buy the 5.56/.223 first, in the config you want it in. Next - save up the pennies, and build or buy additional uppers - in whatever caliber you want - that will fit the 5.56 lower. Push/pull the two take-down pins and slap on the caliber upper you want or need for that day ;)

You'll find that this will range from .17 to .500 caliber. Somewhere in that range, something is sure to knock down whatever it is you were shooting at. :lol:

That's the beauty of the AR platform (mainly for the 5.56/.223) is that you can modify it easily to suit your needs, wants, style. And it's relatively affordable to do - VERSUS - the AR10 7.62 platform.

I have both, enjoy shooting both. They each have their specialties and purpose. For long range, sure the 7.62 would probably be a better bet. But I can send a 6.5 Grendel down range and still get the job done.

For shooting within say 200 yds, I don't know that the 7.62 will knock down something any harder than a .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .500 Beowulf, or even 6.8 SPC or the Grendel will.

But I also enjoy putting a .260 upper on my DPMS AR-10 lower, love how flat it shoots, too ;)

Bottom line - squeeze that wallet to get an idea of how many 'Benjamins' are available, or check the temp of that 'plastic' and then go find something you like and enjoy it.

Push comes to shove and the Zombies do show up on Dec. 21, 2012, well then the only thing you really have to worry about is being able to run faster than your neighbors. As for weapons - I'm sure there will be plenty laying around after the Zombies come through, so you can take your pick. :lol:

But if your plans are hoofing it for the high country or wherever, you can easily carry more 5.56 than you can 7.62. Especially if you're going to be carrying it for some distance.

For carrying it to your favorite shooting range, it's a moot point. Get the one that feels 'right' to you, and enjoy it.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Well, here's my $.02 ...

I've already got the 5.56 arena covered, so my next venture will be an AR-10. I'm still trying to decide if I want to build or buy, but my preference is a 20" barrel. I've fallen in love with the Knight's Armament sr-25. Armalite has their Super SASS and DPMS has their LRT-SASS or REPR. If I do decide to build my specs will be along the lines of the rifles mentioned above.

Lazy,

Don't forget these guys ;)

http://larueosr.com/ltp762-18.aspx

Love the OBR. ;)

VitSports6 said:
Mudinyeri said:

I built an AR using a Plumb Crazy Lower, Mine has a 7.62x39 flavor, It works well, The only issue I have had is some steel case com-bloc ammo didn't fire, It struck well on the primer, But it just didn't go off.
Best of luck with your PCF AR.

My .223 steel case ammo ran through it like a champ last night. :)

mister_e said:
To address knock-down power, build or buy the 5.56/.223 first, in the config you want it in. Next - save up the pennies, and build or buy additional uppers - in whatever caliber you want - that will fit the 5.56 lower. Push/pull the two take-down pins and slap on the caliber upper you want or need for that day ;)

Yeah. stopping power/knock-down power. It's kind of a different discussion with 5.56 vs 7.62 than it is with 9mm vs 40 cal. vs. 45.

According the historical record in war, the 5.56 excelled at wounding, not outright killing. In war that makes all the sense in the world. Put the target in shock, tie up personnel caring for him. It has a reputation for tumbling and tearing the bejeezus out of a mofo. 7.62 makes more sense for real tactical snipers. Kill a high value target dead with a well aimed shot.

But let's say the SHTF. Kind of like the old joke about the two cowboys who go camping, one gets bit on the ass by a snake, and the other goes to town to get help and the Doc tells him to suck out the poison. When he gets back to his buddy and the bit guy says "well?" and the friend says "Doc says you're gonna die". Let's say you got a rabble with a charismatic leader whipping them up. You pump a couple of 5.56 into him and send him on a 5 minute bleedout trajectory. No field medic is going to be tending him. To quote the cowboy story "He's gonna die". Slowly in front of his "squad". Maybe you get some Psych-warfare advantage from turning the leaders chest into a canoe and have him wailing for help.

I'm not a SHTFaner. But I know if I'm looking at a 200 yard shot, that's probalby a shot that can be avoided and if Fallout 3 taught me anything, it's that ammo is going to be hard to come by and I may have to trade some fire ant nectar for 3 cartridges :lol: . 5.56 makes a lot of sense to me. On the other hand as the old pistol saying goes "9mm may expand, but .45 never gets smaller."

But hey, if you want to team up for the apocalypse look me up. I'll be the fat guy with the M1 garand and lever action 30-30 :lol: :lol: :lol:

blue said:
But hey, if you want to team up for the apocalypse look me up. I'll be the fat guy with the M1 garand and lever action 30-30 :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: I'll bring the Twinkies and whiskey! That does make some good sense, about the 5.56 wounding and causing a target to bleed out. I'm more worried about making a good, clean kill on potential food at over 200-300 yards as that's gonna be where most of the game is going to be.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
mister_e said:
Lazy,

Don't forget these guys ;)

http://larueosr.com/ltp762-18.aspx

Love the OBR. ;)

Good call, thanks...

That .. is .. bad .. ass!! Now to refinance my house :lol:

blue said:
I'm not a SHTFaner. But I know if I'm looking at a 200 yard shot, that's probalby a shot that can be avoided and if Fallout 3 taught me anything, it's that ammo is going to be hard to come by and I may have to trade some fire ant nectar for 3 cartridges :lol: . 5.56 makes a lot of sense to me.

Funny blue!

You bring up a great point though. If this is truly going to be a rifle for the SHTF scenario, then one must consider the volume and weight of ammo that can reasonably be carried. With ammo plus all the other necessary gear you'll be pretty weighted down. Pound for pound you'll be able to carry far more 5.56/.223 ammo vs. 7.62/.308.

That being said, there'll definitely be a .22lr in my bug-out arsenal. The potential for carrying thousands of rounds plenty capable of taking down small game would be highly advantageous.

Mister_E, (if that really is your name :lol: ) thanks for that info!

Lazy I like it man!

Sn3aKyGuY said:
I think I'm really just trying to make my mind up on what to get first. The AR15 will be in the 5.56x45 flavor, no question there. I'm just trying to see why everyone is so hung up on the 15 vs 10.

The AR15 has probably close to 2 dozen commercial chamberings by nothing more than either replacing the upper, or barrel/bolt/magazine.

6.5 (.255)
6.8 (.277)
7.62x39
300 Blackout/Whisper/Fireball
30 RAR
458 Socom
50 Beowulf

25 WSSM
243 WSSM
300 OSSM/WSSM
slightly modified lower and magazine 22-250

9mm
40 S&W
45ACP
7.62x25

Just to name a few off the top of my head

But if you're talking SHTF, most AR10's (upper and lowers and magazines) are incompatible with each other.

By just what I have listed above, it's easy to see how modular the AR15 platform is. There is something for everyone.

If you're not shooting 500 yard + shots, the AR can do a lot. My humble 2 cents.

I think you guys (and a few articles I've read on hunting deer size game with .223) have convinced me to pick up the .223/5.56 in an AR15 format. I still want a .308 AR10 down the road, but it just dropped a few notches on my list.

^ ...now there's a thought. Pretty nice, but I'm saving the .300 Win Mag for my next bolt-gun project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back