• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pulled the trigger and ordered a primary arms micro aimpoint clone setup for my AR. As badly as I wanted the actual aimpoint I just can't justify that amount of coin right now.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Micro-Dot-With-Kill-Flash-MD08LMHBUND-p/md08lmhbundle.htm

Plenty of good reports on the PA line of aimpoint clones so I don't feel like I'm wasting money in the interim. Eventually I want to put together a dedicated .22lr build and it can reside there if I've gotten the real aimpoint by then. My long term plan is to have three builds identical or as close as possible to each other but in 5.56, .22 and 300 blk. Color coded in various shades of Magpul furniture of course so I know which one is getting grabbed in a hurry if something bad was happening.

Last edited:
I often find myself color coding or marking/identifying certain items in some way or another too. At least for things that I have many of (like mags)

Most recently, I blocked a 20 round Fal mag to 10 rounds so I can use it for hunting (we can only have 10+1 for hunting here) by heating up a metal stamp and branding the mag body so I know at a glance which one is the hunting mag.

moses mag 011.JPG

The primary arms or vortex dots will work well on an AR.

To be honest, I am rather partial to Bushnell Trophy 4 reticle sights and Millett dot sights too.

Keep us posted on the PA sight JG. Lots of folks have great things to say about their stuff.

I use different color Pmags for different ammo types, bullet weights, etc. Steel core xm855 gets loaded into foliage mags, xm193 goes in black, 69gr match target ammo goes in the 20 rounders, and so on. Makes it a lot easier to grab and go...

Will do LES.

My buddy has a boat load of standard GI aluminum mags. In order to keep track of them he places those circle garage sale pricing stickers on the floorplates. Different colors note the condition of the mag, good, questionable, or beyond salvaging etc... and on the stickers he writes caliber, handload info etc.......... Each to their own. His system isn't bad for a cheap solution and its easy to update the status of any one mag by simply swapping the sticker. I've seen him do it several times when a previously functioning mag starts acting finicky. He will swap the sticker right there at the range so that way when he gets home its not a guessing game which one(s) of that bunch was suspect.

Added a VRS-T hand guard.
ege2ata8.jpg

2yna9e8a.jpg

5e7anahu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a nice lookin rifle!

Sorry I have not posted back yet. I moved to a new place and was waiting on the internet to get switched over. Also still living out of boxes lol but finally got the digital camera unpacked and uploaded these. The red dot arrived just before I moved and so I've not had a chance yet to actually go shoot/sight it in. At least it looks pretty damned good on the gun and at a significant fraction of what the real micro aimpoints go for.

Picture015_zpse1f3f08f.jpg

Really digging the killflash. Its a nice touch. The mount seems solid enough. Again time will tell once I've had some downrange with it but so far its looking like I'll be very happy with this arrangement.

Last edited:
There are some nice rifles getting posted up here. I have been eyeballing a PA red dot with the killflash to put on my Windham MPC's carry handle. I want something small and low profile, but pretty rugged as this rifle will probably be a truck gun eventually. I hear great things about the Primary Arm's products.

I have been looking into a .308 AR as well. Narrowed it down to 3 contenders. The new DPMS GII, the SIG 7.62 Patrol in OD, and the Ruger SR 7.62. I like the Sig the most, but admittedly am bias because I have a Sig M400.

Last edited:
I thought about an AR10 for a number of years. Specifically the Knights SR25. Then came along the DPMS, then the Mega....

As you can see by the pic near the top of the page, I finally got a fal and couldn't be happier with it.

There are a lot of different 308 semi auto rifles out there.
HK91/G3 Cetme
Springfield M14/M1
Fal
Beretta BM59
AR10

Myself, I am enamored with the Fal.

not the right arm of the free world for nothing....built like a tank. If you have never held/shot one you will be surprised by the heft ....

The Fals' have been around for a very long time and designed when the world was not a very friendly place.

I have seen the torture test video before. DSA was scrambling to reinforce their image after a series of bad reports for a while. I don't know what the bad publicity was about, but there was a lot of talk about it over at the fal files.

The guns are tough though. If you're a fan of "over built", the Fal is worth a look into.

I recently found an L1A1 "sand cut" bolt carrier that I picked up to throw in mine. I don't live in very dusty or sandy area's, but I don't see how it would hurt to have it in there either.

If I could only choose between an AR or the Fal (*after I have an unprecedented public breakdown), I would probably walk away with the Fal slung over my shoulder.

fal 008.JPG

In a SHTF situation either would be a welcome sight slung on a friendlies back. One day I might have to acquire one and see what its all about.

Back to the thread at hand about AR's I'm kinda inclined to pick up a spikes Honey Badger lower as the next one. I'm digging the selector markings for sure lol.

887a01a3-b3c4-4cc1-b98c-9d475738db26_zpsaf351e6d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back