• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Axes and Hatchets and Machetes rule my life...

#1 this amazing thread shall surely live forever !!!!
That said here is todays garage sale cool award , I saw it and my inner steam punk or old trapper was awakened not sure which. But 8 bucs got it in my truck, several axes also found today but this now this is cool and open to all too pontificate, some feel its a US military elusive rare special whatnot ...im thinking its granpa wilsons barn forge welder scrap steel creation. Whatbsays y'all ??? Irregardless its my new kindling maker.received_858836497882379.jpeg received_576959523104206.jpeg 1220192121.jpg

DJ that looks like a blacksmith's tool for slitting a bar, or cutoff work.
Cadd that is a really good observation , one id not even considered. It would certainly be perfect for that and the edge geometry would make sense as well as supporting the homemade tool scenario. I guess odds are we never know for sure, but your idea is a very plausible one. a local farrier would be quite possibly the culprit/creator

I watch a guy on Youtube named Alex Steele, who does some crazy blacksmithing work, and he uses similar ones.
There's nobody doing that around here. You call a farrier and he comes to the horse with a portable forge.
Well a glorified BBQ really. Not very large but stout and gas-fired.

Does the eye go all the way thru the head, or is the handle not reaching to the top?

It looks like someone smashed a piece of pipe into an oval and welded it to a small splitting wedge. The US stamp has me puzzled.

It is definitely a splitting wedge and not a cutter head.

The handle is really nice. Come from a double bit axe.

Does the eye go all the way thru the head, or is the handle not reaching to the top?

It looks like someone smashed a piece of pipe into an oval and welded it to a small splitting wedge. The US stamp has me puzzled.

It is definitely a splitting wedge and not a cutter head.

The handle is really nice. Come from a double bit axe.
You may be onto something as the eye does Not go all way thru , it is closed on top.

Okay. For years I have sharpened my cutting and chopping tools using good files, or a good file followed by a stone puck, sometimes a belt sander (restoration projects only), and sometimes whetstones. All with great results. But some are just so damn time consuming.

So I am going to start experimenting on some of my axes and machetes and hatchets using a 1/4" angle die grinder and ROLOC discs.

I think it will be fun seeing how the three different surface conditioners (coarse, medium, fine) will put a great edge on and really polish up the edges.

0105201236.jpg 0105201239_HDR.jpg Just a quick psa for any new folks beware !!! About 2 years ago I owned 1 axe a crappy big box store thing with a yellow handle. Someone turned this forum onto a buy on a us fss boys axe, I bought one turns out one of my most prized possessions now. Problem it created an addiction, here is two years later AFTER thinning collection back in October :doh:. Thanks @nitesite for starting an awesome thread and horrible obsession. Tomohawk pics tommorow thats a whole nother problem.

I will suggest looking at bristle wheel type roloc attachments, if you want to get a strop fine finish.

Damn. Just last night I put in an abrasive order for some more ROLOCs and some 4-1/2" flap discs. I should have thought to throw in a couple of them while I was there!

BTW, I got a 10-pack of 5-star rated 4-1/2" flap discs for $19.99 so YAY for me! Those bastards at Lowes and Home Depot are $9 each!!!!

I like your measurement lines on the USFS axe. I need to do something similar. I picked up a little 8 or 10 foot stanly tape measure, for my 2 year old to play with. When I got home I realised the backside was a diameter scale, when you wrap around a cylinder, it reads in diameter. I'm thinking i need a pouch for it and my lansky puck. To keep with my axes

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Uh..Ohhh.... He's got da sick real bad.

Back in the 1890s it would take a high fever and a lot of whisky to get rid of dat sick. :)

View attachment 22473 View attachment 22474 Just a quick psa for any new folks beware !!! About 2 years ago I owned 1 axe a crappy big box store thing with a yellow handle. Someone turned this forum onto a buy on a us fss boys axe, I bought one turns out one of my most prized possessions now. Problem it created an addiction, here is two years later AFTER thinning collection back in October :doh:. Thanks @nitesite for starting an awesome thread and horrible obsession. Tomohawk pics tommorow thats a whole nother problem.

I know I am not going to discuss my patient stone and water axe sharpening on social media any more. I liked doing it for years. A really good European file was plenty good too!

But honestly, a Milwaukee 18-V Fuel 4-1/2" angle grinder with a flap disc is plenty good for me after years of just wasting my time for the purity of it with pucks and other nostalgic shit. :)

Now on another subject... sharpening a chainsaw is another story. Going hand sharpened with the proper files takes just a few minutes and a good sharp chain makes huge wood chips! Don't want some electric sharpener on my chains!

I know I am not going to discuss my patient stone and water axe sharpening on social media any more. I liked doing it for years. A really good European file was plenty good too!

But honestly, a Milwaukee 18-V Fuel 4-1/2" angle grinder with a flap disc is plenty good for me after years of just wasting my time for the purity of it with pucks and other nostalgic shit. :)

Now on another subject... sharpening a chainsaw is another story. Going hand sharpened with the proper files takes just a few minutes and a good sharp chain makes huge wood chips! Don't want some electric sharpener on my chains!
1000% with ya on that one, I like my puck alot, but that 4 1/2 dewalt with a flapper is pure love quick n to the point no foreplay......

Wranglerstar had me going "HELL YEAH I am ordering one" pretty good, Japanese Hitachi blue paper steel and all:::::

He was so scared of the edge that he wore gloves and carried a TOURIQUET~~~~

until it BENT like a wet paper towel under heavy use which it was not designed to do.

Back