• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

BIG revolver as the ultimate home defense weapon.

^ ...and then you use your rifle to fight your way to your shotgun... ;)

And then it's time to carve the turkey. ;)

samurai.jpg~original

I've often voiced the opinion that a Ruger Alaskan loaded with 44 Special ammo is one of the best of the best for a defensive handgun in the home.
Both Elmer Keith and Col. Jeff Cooper thought highly of the 44 spl as a defensive handgun.

The only revolver I have is an SP101 in .357, with the 2-1/2" barrel. With 38s it shoots pretty easy, but with hot 357s she's a handful.

I have one revolver. its a ruger redhawk .44 . its what I use. my son pointed it at an intruder in our house. the fight went out of him immediately. now the intruder is serving time. that big bore was enough. and if it wasn't the big hole in him would and I doubt a second or third round would be needed.

Anything can be a weapon. Frying pans.............. weapon of choice for housewives for centuries lol :D

over-easy-uzi-gun-frying-pans.jpeg

Over easy Uzi's anyone?

Joking aside I've always agreed with the above advice already given. It's better to have a caliber that one can comfortably handle and put rounds where they intended than to have a caliber so grossly overpowered for a person's skillset that they can't hit the broad side of a barn at point blank exchange range. Your responsible for wherever that projectile winds up and it's most likely your family on the other side of that drywall. Even if your shot hits the mark if your using higher powered handgun/rifle rounds they have greater potential to just pass right through the perp and keep on going. Shot placement is crucial. So is the proper round selection to do it with.

A good modern bullet designed to dump its energy quickly into 2 legged upright predators should be high priority on anyone's shopping list when selecting self defense ammo. Yet I see people all the time squawk about the cost and wind up cheaping out for a target load. Then they load it up and never go shoot the damned thing. Sometimes more than a dollar a pop for the good stuff is tough to swallow for burning up at a range but when your life or a loved one's is at stake why not give yourself the best possible tool for the job and practice properly with it? Even if its just always target loads? Never wise to discover your guns gonna jam when in a jam.

YMMV as usual.

Reminds me of a situation my folks had here out in the country many years ago....

My dad's health was failing seriously and he had trouble getting up and moving around a lot. One day, he was sitting in the back sunporch area and this car pulls in the driveway. This guy gets out and walks to the back door. Dad sees him and motions him inside. The guy said he was some kind of supposed vacuum cleaner salesman. (Possibly a front for scoping out a place to rob, as that sort of thing has happened in their area several times.) The guy gives my dad his sales pitch and has some brochures in his hand. Dad explains to him that they weren't interested and to have a nice day. The guy then starts giving dad some very intense sales pressure. Again, Dad told him they weren't interested and asked him to leave. At that, the guy starts getting ignorant with Dad, calling him an "old goat". What the guy didn't know was that my 70-year old mom was in the kitchen nearby getting ready to fry some fish, and she heard it all.

Mom came flying around the corner, all 100lb of petiteness in a fury with a big cast iron frying pan drawn back to strike the man who was threatening her mate. Enraged as she came at him she yelled, "What part of get-the-hell-out-of-here don't you understand, you evil man....!!!!" The guy shot out the back door as fast as he could and threw gravel peeling out of the driveway. Never saw or heard of him again. Neither did the neighbors. (Probably someone casing the place.)

So, even though I have a 590 and a Glock 21 on standby here now, it's always comforting to know I have my Mom and her "00 cast iron frying pan" backing me up!!

blackbeard

78414b63ffa48768627d70ab4c6fc14f.jpg

Just ordered one of these S&W M&P R8 .357 magnum N frame 5" barrel for Christmas. ... Should be great for home defense....it can stay loaded all the time without worrying about springs like in a magazine & 8 rounds is comparable to a single stack 1911

I have been trying to find a r8 or trr8 for some time. They are sweet revolvers for sure.

78414b63ffa48768627d70ab4c6fc14f.jpg

Just ordered one of these S&W M&P R8 .357 magnum N frame 5" barrel for Christmas. ... Should be great for home defense....it can stay loaded all the time without worrying about springs like in a magazine & 8 rounds is comparable to a single stack 1911

Nice....WANT!!!

I was at the range on Sat and the guy next to me had a .50 cal revolver , boy was that thing loud! When he shot it a blue flame came out of the end of it .

Norm

tthat tr8 is like hens teeth around here. have never seen one at any fireams store ever. E WANT.

shotgun,rifle,handgun.....shot placement,shot placement,shot placement

Not disagreeing with large caliber, but here's a guy who put down a 100lb gray wolf with a .22. In some minor trouble because of DFG. Probably be hit with a fine, but the point is a .22 is effective.

Forrest Mize, 53, a former lieutenant commander, said he shot the beast with a .22 rifle he carries because of mountain lions around his Rathdrum home because it was crouched and ready to pounce. After the Dec. 30 incident, he decided he wanted to make a trophy out of the 100-pound wolf, and that was when his problems began. To legally bag a wolf, hunters must first buy a tag from the state Department of Fish and Game. It's permissible to shoot one in self-defense, but you don't get the carcass or the pelt.

“The only way you can legally harvest an animal and retain possession of that is to hold a license and a tag,” said Idaho Fish and Game spokesman Mike Keckler.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015...l-for-ex-navy-officer-who-shot-wolf-in-idaho/

Does a successful center mass hit count as good quality shot placement? If so, I'd think it might make a very big difference what the velocity/projectile/delivery system is. A center mass hit by a 9mm is not going to have the same effect as nine 00 buck pellets on a fit and determined (drug crazed) attacker. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back