• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dynamic Shooting - Shot Shell Caddies

galea

.22LR
Hello guys,

Today I've been at the range and had to watch a 3 gun competition which was wonderful. I kept checking what everyone's equipped with in relation to the shotgun part. Most of the people used the shotshell caddies and others had the shotshell belts. I myself was aiming for a couple of caddies and am undecided about a 4 shell holder or a 6 shell holder? My 590 came with the capacity of 8+1, what do you guys think is best a 4 shell or a 6 shell? Also, do you have any links of anybody who sells these caddies at a reasonable price and ships over to Europe? ( will consider buying second hand ones as well in the case some of you have got some extra )

Thanks guys.

As far as the caddies go, I would think it would depend on your finger length. I don't know that I would want to only grab four, load them and then two and load them. There are 4 X 4 caddies too. It all depends on how much you are going to need. I've enjoyed going thru 3 Gun Nation, they may have some vendors you can check out too.

6 shell because when it is empty you can easily load the first 4 in thru the cutout and pivot them in place. The last two will have to be loaded from the top. Loading thru the window is effortless compared to loading through the top because the spring that holds the shells from coming out is very stiff and it is not going to get softer with use. It is a robust industrial made spring. Spend a day on the range loading and unloading the carrier and you will find loading through the cutout is the way to go. If you get the 4 shell your going to be loading it almost always from the top across the spring.

I'm undecided about the 6 shell holder or the 4 shell holder because at the range, some guys told me just as megawatt said here above, while others told me that a 4 shell holder and a saddle is the best kit since the sg has an 8 shell magazine, 2 shell holders will do the job and won't have any remaining shells in the caddy rattling / getting lose and falling or having to remember how many are left in the caddy.
Obviously every shooter has his/her opinion, but I would appreciate further opinions from you guys having a lot of experience in this sport as well.

Theres another I have seen M24 mention a few times... Ugh! I cant remember where I have seen them, but I know what it looks like darnit!

Man, I'll have to do some diggin, but these were caddies or carriers you could wear like on your arm. If youre lookin for caddies, these may not be helpful. You could poosibly wear one on your dominant arm or wrist, but the problem i see is bein able to get to only one round at a time. That may work in some cases but I dunno about a primary means of reloading.

Maybe it was 3 Gun Gear? Found it, it is 3 Gun Gear!!!

3 Gun Gear

Thanks Rosignol for the info, I've seen what you mentioned but as you said; reloading one shell at a time is slower when you can have four shells in one hand for reloading.

You might find this video helpful with making your choice for a caddy.

Basic speed reloading with a shotgun

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1XtSGn8JUQ&feature=plcp&context=C4c0b4eeVDvjVQa1PpcFNMUM6q-85hKjqOCNrpHrWmj9WHVRbR37U%3D[/youtube]

LTB45 said:
You might find this video helpful with making your choice for a caddy.

Basic speed reloading with a shotgun

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1XtSGn8JUQ&feature=plcp&context=C4c0b4eeVDvjVQa1PpcFNMUM6q-85hKjqOCNrpHrWmj9WHVRbR37U%3D[/youtube]

Thanks for the vid LTB45

galea said:
Thanks Rosignol for the info, I've seen what you mentioned but as you said; reloading one shell at a time is slower when you can have four shells in one hand for reloading.

Exactly... I thinks its nice equipment, but unsure of the practicality.

Have you thought about an extended magazine tube as well?

Hi Galea
I'm a UK competitor using a Mossberg 590 - have added a single shot extension to bring capacity up to 9+1 [as you may know, UK law restricts barrel length to a minimum of 24", so my 590 has an extension welded on the barrel to comply, and the +1 extension brings the magazine tube just short of the barrel end], or 10+1 if I use 2.5" cartridges. You can go longer, but I prefer that my barrel be slightly longer than my magazine, rather than vice-versa.
I also use the 4 round caddies that you mention - Shield in the UK [Dorset] stock them at around GBP25 each.

Hi Headhunter, here in Malta the barrel length limit is of 20" and therefore the 8shot capacity mag reaches almost the tip of the barrel and same as u said, i prefer a longer barrel than a longer mag. I'll just go for the caddies from the shop that you mentioned, hopefully ships outside Uk

Thanks a lit Headhunter for the infi

Headhunter said:
Hi Galea
I'm a UK competitor using a Mossberg 590 - have added a single shot extension to bring capacity up to 9+1 [as you may know, UK law restricts barrel length to a minimum of 24", so my 590 has an extension welded on the barrel to comply, and the +1 extension brings the magazine tube just short of the barrel end], or 10+1 if I use 2.5" cartridges. You can go longer, but I prefer that my barrel be slightly longer than my magazine, rather than vice-versa.
I also use the 4 round caddies that you mention - Shield in the UK [Dorset] stock them at around GBP25 each.

Do you have this supplier's website handy because i can't find it on google?

Back