• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FEED ISSUES

521mike

.22LR
Wondering if anyone has a fix for the feed issues that most 715T's seem to have?? Or at least your thoughts on possible causes. Mag alignment, Mag wobble or fit, Feed ramp, Cartridge fittings in relationship to mag? I've looked at all and seems to me any or all could be the cause. Anyone out there narrowed it down?

Yes I know there are other trouble shooting threads but the answers/questions are all over the place in those.

521mike said:
Yes I know there are other trouble shooting threads but the answers/questions are all over the place in those.

If this model has so many problems, why are people still buying them? Why hasn't Mossberg done something about it?

GunnyGene said:
521mike said:

If this model has so many problems, why are people still buying them? Why hasn't Mossberg done something about it?

this is why i sold mine...even when they fix it, it still is not 100% right.

as far the op, i don't think there is a quick self fix. mossberg did something wrong and they need to fix it correctly instead of any band aid fix you can do yourself. make them take ownership of their problems and it will avoid any safety concerns.

GunnyGene said:
521mike said:

Thats a great question. And I have know idea. I didn't read any reviews before my purchase. I just saw the Mossberg name that I've always trusted and the price and figured I couldn't go wrong. I couldn't have been more wrong. But there are a lot of guys on here that seem to love their 715T's. I think they must have much lower expectations or standards than myself or Speedy. Or they just can't admit they made a bad buy.

Speedy I'm just waitin for my shipping label. Spoke to Mossberg rep Wed. he said in 20yrs w/ the company that he had never seen a Mossberg product w/ as many problems or returns! Blamed it on out sourceing said quality control in S.America wasn't up to par w/ our standards here in the states. I appreciate his honesty but wanted to say WHY IN THE HELL IS IT STILL ON THE MARKET!!! :x And why continue to use that facility. But I also wanted my shipping label!!! I only started the thread because I figured it take a while to get label and maybe I'd get lucky during my wait. :x

521mike said:
Speedy I'm just waitin for my shipping label. Spoke to Mossberg rep Wed. he said in 20yrs w/ the company that he had never seen a Mossberg product w/ as many problems or returns! Blamed it on out sourceing said quality control in S.America wasn't up to par w/ our standards here in the states. I appreciate his honesty but wanted to say WHY IN THE HELL IS IT STILL ON THE MARKET!!! :x And why continue to use that facility. But I also wanted my shipping label!!! I only started the thread because I figured it take a while to get label and maybe I'd get lucky during my wait. :x

They better get somebody on this or their reputation is going right in the toilet. They need to issue a recall and either come up with a fix(es) that can be done by local shops, or replace/refund. Letting it go will really hurt them in the long run.

GunnyGene said:
521mike said:

They better get somebody on this or their reputation is going right in the toilet. They need to issue a recall and either come up with a fix(es) that can be done by local shops, or replace/refund. Letting it go will really hurt them in the long run.

Do you really reckon Mossberg reads this owner's blog?? I've been on here 4 months. There has been enough bad words and complaints from enough owners that they should have done something by now. I am not hopeful. I have one that will not shoot 10 times without FTE or FTL. Tried every brand of ammo under all conditions. Not hopeful. MOSSBERG--READ WHAT YOUR OWNERS ARE SAYING!!!

GunsForever said:
GunnyGene said:
521mike said:

Do you really reckon Mossberg reads this owner's blog?? I've been on here 4 months. There has been enough bad words and complaints from enough owners that they should have done something by now. I am not hopeful. I have one that will not shoot 10 times without FTE or FTL. Tried every brand of ammo under all conditions. Not hopeful. MOSSBERG--READ WHAT YOUR OWNERS ARE SAYING!!!

Maybe somebody should send an email to the management with a link to this forum. Might do some good.

Gunny, I think that question has been posed before and I don't think Mossberg has a rep that visits the forum... although it sure would be nice!

The fact that mine took 8 weeks to get back to me from mossberg, tells me they have their hands full on this one. Their repair shop must ne hoppin'.

Mossberg does NOT care at all!!! This rifle has been in production at least 2 years w/ the same multiple problems since its intro. Consumers see the normally trusted Mossberg name, AR look, and the cheap price tag and I'm guessing buy'em as fast as they can make'em. I know I'm guilty. Plus there are alot of post on this site saying how great the 715T is. This will probably make a bunch of people angry but I would have to think those owners in love w/ the 715T have never owned, fired, or even held a proper AR / tactical weapon or even a well built auto loader of any kind. I really don't mean to offend, I just can't believe that half the 715T's being made are junk and the other half are perfectly functioning and dependable rifles. You think thats possible? We were unlucky and got the junk while everyone else got masterpieces?

Meant to tell you guys that I've had some limited success w/ FTF's by bending the mag lips closer together right behind the notch ( where you insert bullet ). Seems like the cartridge is coming out the mag at times pointing up instead of pointing towards the feed ramp. Think thats alot of the "above the barrel" complaint. The bending keeps the bullet at the right angle to hit the feed. If you try just make sure you dont go so close/tight that it won't release cartridge. Just enough to hold cartridge in the flat / horizontal position a bit longer before release. I'm not a gunsmith but I did stay at a holiday inn express once!! :lol: Really I am a mechanic and pretty good at all things mechanical plus my uncle works for FNH (gun manufacturing,QC) he's the one that actually pointed out this mag problem and possible fix. GOOD LUCK & HAPPY SHOOTIN!! I mean w/ your other rifle of course!!! :D

I love every Mossberg shotgun I've ever fired, but I'll stick to my trusty 10/22 for a good .22lr autoloader.

A lot of these 715t feed issues could be resolved with some simple mag tuning.....these mags r mass produced and not tuned properly....some have plastic burs inside some have burs on the feed lips some r way loose....if I go buy a new mag for my 1929 high standard usa HD it won't cycle a single round as the mags have to be tuned for the feed ramp it'll ftf stovepipe u name it

521mike said:

i have wondered as it must be costing them lots of money to fix problems. i know the company i work for does not like to give away money..which is essentially what mossberg is doing...

i'm on the lookk out for a reasonably priced s&w 15-22..but boss man told me i had to work a little ot instead of going to get the rifle...a new one for a little less than retail! i haven't had time to go see if the store still has it. my guess is no.

i will say i have never fired a true ar before this one, but i do have semi auto handguns and i know they fire flawlessly, every time.

eavery said:
A lot of these 715t feed issues could be resolved with some simple mag tuning.....these mags r mass produced and not tuned properly....some have plastic burs inside some have burs on the feed lips some r way loose....if I go buy a new mag for my 1929 high standard usa HD it won't cycle a single round as the mags have to be tuned for the feed ramp it'll ftf stovepipe u name it
I'm starting to agree that this is as much a mag problem as rifle problem. But I do not agree that after paying good money for a new OE mag that I should have to repair, or tune it. At least not a Mossberg. I'm mean if this were a Hi Point of Jimenez maybe. And I'm not knocking those 2 brands I've owned a couple of there firearms that work much better than my 715T. Just sayin if it says Mossberg I expect it to function straight out the box. Maybe thats because I've never had any problems w/ there shotguns. I've never had to tune a mag for anything besides the 715T.

Dont forget about your ammo, you cant just say its the guns fault because ammo plays just as big of a role in how the gun functions as the gun.

You feed it junk its going to work like junk. You need to take just as much care in what you put in it.

What is hapening when you have feed issues? Is the round not going fully into the chamber? or is it kicking the nose up?

Have you studied any 3D redurings of how auto loader guns function? You can get an idea of how they function if you study some of the 3D models and then maybe resolve the issue yourself. It will be good for you to figure it out IMO its what make shooting fun. Its a mechanical thing and as you know mechanical things tend to have problems some times.

I agree it SHOULDNT happen on a new item but it does. I think rather then throw a fit about it try and figure out the issue. It could be as simple as little metal burs that could be lightly sanded out, oiled, polished or something bent.

Try different ammo, try only 5 rounds in the mag insted of 10, put some oil on your finger and lightly oil the tops of all the rounds see if it helps.

What can I say.
Spent the afternoon at the range yesterday...another 300 rounds through my 715T without one single failure...not one! (total rounds on gun approaching 6000...only the first 200 or so gave me any problems)
My friend who just bought his 3 weeks ago was not so lucky. He had 3 failure to fires in 250 rounds.
I don't know...maybe we're just lucky.
But I think it has more to do with what someone said earlier...Mossberg has been putting these things out by the thousands...and a lot of dealers report that they get 10 or 15 in and within two days they are sold out.
Personally (and I've said it before)...a bunch of the same people keep posting and reposting on this and other forums.
Whilst the vast majority are just out happily shooting the hell out of their guns!
It's an inexpensive 'fake' AR...the vast majority of the owners (mostly happy) aren't the kind to search out forums like this.

snagglepuss said:
What can I say.
Spent the afternoon at the range yesterday...another 300 rounds through my 715T without one single failure...not one! (total rounds on gun approaching 6000...only the first 200 or so gave me any problems)
My friend who just bought his 3 weeks ago was not so lucky. He had 3 failure to fires in 250 rounds.
I don't know...maybe we're just lucky.
But I think it has more to do with what someone said earlier...Mossberg has been putting these things out by the thousands...and a lot of dealers report that they get 10 or 15 in and within two days they are sold out.
Personally (and I've said it before)...a bunch of the same people keep posting and reposting on this and other forums.
Whilst the vast majority are just out happily shooting the hell out of their guns!
It's an inexpensive 'fake' AR...the vast majority of the owners (mostly happy) aren't the kind to search out forums like this.

I didnt know this when i first got into firearms (10/2012) and i started with the collection my dad gave me. The first .22 i shot was a Ruger MK2 and i shot about 300 rounds threw that thing with old golden bullets he bought in the 90s it chewed threw them without a single hickup. It wasnt till later i read that .22 is the most finiky round of all the ammo. I couldnt believe it because that old ruger i was shooting my dad had since the 1960s and its seen THOUSANDS of rounds.

I started my own .22 collection and i started to see what everyone was talkinga bout. I will say this though when i had issues it was 99% of the time the ammo.

I read that a spent 223 shell you can use as a tool. A spent 223 shell is swolen at the neck at the right size for a .22 chamber. I started sorting my .22 ammo and i found all the ammo i had issues with were golden bullts. When i slipped a round into the spen 223 shell half of them would hang up they were a little to large where the bullet was pressed into the brass. I took my gun apart and tried to slip the bad rounds into the barrel and they would hang up in the barrel also. This ammo i had FTFs and FTEs wich also caused jams because the spnt shell was still in the chamber.

I stop using golden bullts and if i ever did use them (if i had to no other ammo available) ide sort them first.

I also oil all my .22 ammo now all bulk ammo i put 5-10 drops of oil per brick in a bag and need the oil in this has helped me the most with my .22s

Back