• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First line of defense, Tactical Dog Thread!

Had some left over para cord so my chocolate lab "Ruger" is now tactical.
268fc02c.jpg

125a6df7.jpg

I did have three dogs until a couple of months ago. Paige, my chow/terrier mix had to be put down, shortly after turning 17 years old. The two we still have are Shelties we took from our youngest son, after he had to move to a smaller house.

Attachments

• Baily and Ollie.jpg
    Baily and Ollie.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 736
  • Paige.JPG
    Paige.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 736
Well, many of you already know the craziness here. I've lost two dogs recently... I had also put one of my old blind dogs down and rehomed a couple others. Didnt sell em, but found homes for them I was/am very comfortable with.

Now, there was a pup in the works several months back I had been waiting on. Once I received word they had been born I began following their progress. It was a litter of English Pointers, same as Ivy, little black and white pups. They come from a good line of solid hunting stock, dogs that hunt wild birds.

When I realized Ivy was lost to me, I almost decided not to get one of the pups. I had infact called the guy and told him not to hold my pick, that if he had other buyers to go ahead and sell my pick. Well, he did sell them all, but called several weeks later and said he had been able to buy back a dog from last years litter and would be happy to keep the older dog in place of his personal pick if I was still interested in a pup from this breeding this year. I told him I was definitely still interested and would talk to my family again about it. We overwhelmingly agreed to get the pup. So we made arrangements for a road trip down to western Kentucky, a little ways south of the Makers Mark plant. We got him at 11 weeks old, but the whole process had been closer to 4 mos!

So heres my new buddy, and likely to be Allisons pup. Thats how we had intended for him to be anyhow. I would be working Ivy, and shed be learnin how to be a handler workin her own dog in the field.

His name is Seamus!!! We took these today during about a two mile hike. A little more than half of it was pretty well marked and maintained, other places were rocky, creek, or brush. He did great!

100_6909Small.jpg

Here he was sittin and waitin for the kids to come back up the creek bed.
100_6929Small.jpg

Got excited when he saw them finally comin back!
100_6931Small.jpg

And we modled a couple head shots for Jenny!
100_6919Small.jpg

100_6923Small.jpg

Seamus is very confident... and dominant which we're workin on! :D He doesnt replace Ivy, or anything else we've been through, but we're definitely happy to have him and look forward to bird season!!! ;)

Great lookin pup Brad!

Wouldn't ya know that Seamus is my nickname around the family. Keep us posted on his progress...

Thanks Fellas! Seamus is an awesome name!!! :D

K-dubya, thats what we were doin when I had mentioned to you we were down your way!

I had this set up for weeks in advance and kept debating whether or not we were gonna do it. I couldnt leave the guy hanging, and he was patient, and sometimes frustrated. But he worked to be helpful to us which in the end made it possible to do.

Seamus! Great lookin pooch Brad. I'm happy for ya....and Allison too!

Not really tactically related, but there is no other dog thread. And I had to share it with you guys, and gals...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZESOQbDaE[/youtube]

Dude thats cool! I dont know I've seen a dog the least bit interested in corn!

Haha, nice!

...betcha that's gonna make for some interesting piles... :lol:

We give our boys baby carrots instead of dog treats. They love 'em and it helps keep their teeth clean...

Just browsing this great site, and I must say I agree with a dog being the 1st line of defense!! I have a blue tick hound I got for hunting. I never in a million years would think he would be a great guard dog, but he is! He alerts me to any noise or activity in the yard, and will literally back a stranger into a corner if a stranger enters the house (found out when I had a neighbor house/dogsit for two days) :? Thanks for all the great post's guys and here is "boe" our first line of defense!

jmm18.jpg

ZTI7K.jpg

vUYB7.jpg

Earlier in this thread I had posted about my 2 dogs. Then how we lost one to Cancer and a few months later we lost the other to old age. I did not have the heart to post up the loss of him.

Well a couple of months ago the wife got a new job and down the road is an animal shelter and she started spending her lunch hour walking the dogs there..... You all know whats coming next :shock:

Well she said that I had to meet this Pitbull (I wanted a Springer) that rolls on its back for all people and other dogs.

So I went to meet him. First thing, he jumped up and licked my face. Well he went home,
He is the smartest dog I have ever had. He came House broken, Sit, Stay and wont go near his full food bowl till you say he can. Having Labs in the past, this was something new to me. On our first trip to the gun club, he seemed gun shy. The next time we took him up to shoot Trap and with 15 people on the line firing, he never flinched once.

Now I am thinking of how I can turn him into a Pheasant hunting dog.
I have read some hunting dog forums, but wondering if anyone here has turned a Pit into a bird dog?
Not that concerned about a pheasant retrieve. I have hunted over plenty of Crappy retrievers. I really just need his nose to find them. Any ideas or hints?

Riley our Red Nosed American Pitbull Terrier
1yo Rescue.

533166_10151096680401435_369126504_n.jpg

He LOVES swimming
551897_10151122697456435_2031739364_n.jpg

423892_10151122697691435_1954045751_n.jpg

Stylin' in his new Camo coat for when it gets cold out.
581493_4061109240356_1997682487_n.jpg

Back