• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got my A1 today, front bead fell off..........

Well guys got my A1 today. Took it out of the box, put the barrel on and racked the slide several times and the front bead fell off. Looks like it was cross threaded pretty bad, also had what looks like dried locktite on the remaining threads. Love the gun, but now I can't even shoot it. So looks like the barrel at least has to go back. How long am I looking at before I get to shoot this thing?

This is not good on a new gun and I can see how it could leave you questioning your purchase.. OFM QC appears to still be suffering some issues. Keep at them and they will make it right.

Their cookie cutter reply to how long it will take is usually two weeks.

That does vary.

But with it being as simple as replacing a barrel, which is a part they seem to make plenty of, may not be too long.

Would be easier, if they just made them right the first time. I'm finding it hard to recommend these to anyone! There are so many varied issues with the whole line.

yeah Scott I feel the same way....then I remember there are many more happy with theirs than not, we just hear about the bad situations because people are cursing the sites looking for answers.

oli700 said:
yeah Scott I feel the same way....then I remember there are many more happy with theirs than not, we just hear about the bad situations because people are cursing the sites looking for answers.

I cringe when I read these along with the bad customer service threads but Oli is right. They are concentrated here. That being said the cross threaded bead in this thread is inexcusable. Someone had to know what it was wrong and passed it along. That offense would get you fired at the factories I have worked at.

I hope they make it right for you as soon as possible. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I agree that mossberg owners forum catches the majority of these threads.

But at the same time, as has already been said, the 10 millionth 500 was built this year over the last 50 years and when you take that into consideration, the negative comments are pretty small in numbers all things considered.

I don't excuse it, nor would I accept it.

But this is the exception, not the rule.

My Mom purchased a 500C earlier this year and I have a friend who recently gave me a new unfired 500A (both this years production) and both have not shown any issues whatsoever.

Here's Moms' 20 gauge
dogtrouble014_zpsff56185a.jpg

And here's the 12 gauge that was given to me last weekend
marcus006_zpsfdbde573.jpg

Well this kinda stuff happens with me a lot. If I buy it new then you can bet it's going to break or somethings wrong with it for sure, LOL. Just got off the phone with Roger. He told me to send the barrel back, on my dime!. When I asked him why should I have to spend more of my money to fix their problem, he asked if I could take it back to the shop where I got it and see if they could fix it. I told old Roger that it was not the gun shops fault that the bead was cross threaded, nor was it mine, and if they weren't willing to fix this then what good is the ten year warranty. He then tells me I need to email or fax a copy of the sales ticket to them (like I'm a liar or something). I had read the CS stories on here and thought it can't be that bad, well guess what, IT'S THAT BAD. Old Roger needs to get a new jobby job.

I'm certainly not going to make excuses for them.

I happen to agree with you, that is exceptionally bad.

I believe at that point, I would have asked for a supervisor.

But if he is asking for a sales ticket, I would email him one to resolve it. I would also hold them to the warranty.

Talk to him again and ask him for a call tag for the barrel and give him a copy of the sales ticket.
If he can't help you ask for
Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

He should be able to help you out.

Remember, dealing with CS, you get more with honey than with vinegar.

I don't' have a fax or scanner, so it's going to have to wait. the sad part is I could fix it for about ten bucks, just drill and tap to the next larger size and be shooting faster than waiting on them.

And you can also pick up the drill bit, tap and front bead from midwayusa cheaper than the shipping charges. A 6-48 would be exactly what you need.

If you were so inclined.

Sorry to hear this is a growing problem. My question is why are the steel threads crossing and not the soft brass ones on the bead sight? Has anyone looked at this? Just curious.

Well I emailed Joe and he replied saying: I would be glad to help you. please reply with your serial number and shipping address. I will send a new barrel and a fed-ex call tag will be inside the box for the old one to come back to me.

Now that's service!

I have no idea why old Roger couldn't have just done the same. But I sure am glad I got a hold of Joe. Oh, and by the way in his email he signed off as Joseph Zakher, I don't know him but some people don't like for others to shorten their names.

Now we can get on with the shotgun. WOW what an awesome shotty. I love the thing! I had already ordered a S&J +2 extension and have it on already, didn't have to shorten the spring at all. I have had none of the double feeds others have talked about, it feeds from the mag tube just fine. Love the feel of working the slide, I don't find it gritty feeling like I have heard others talk about, might not be as smooth as an 870 but it leaves you with a feeling that this is a serious weapon.

I'll be writing up a proper review with pictures later during my Christmas break.

cutter_spc

Glad you got the replacement barrel. Sorry that you had to get one to begin with, but at least it didn't take a month of Sundays.

Back