• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

I do have Honduran Rosewood... and Bolivian Rosewood.

Nice...
There is a shop in town that carries exotic woods...always like visiting. I have made a few grips myself and like the looks of what you are doing...
Have you tried checkering?

I need more practice. I have a Dembart set.....

I was just "window" shopping and ran across this...

4cff4c0d-095f-5b9c.jpg

http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/shop/catalog/Gmelia_Burl.html

Oooohhh!!! Very nice!!! That looks great! What kind of wood didja use? Walnut and maple?

the stick is some really naturally dark black walnut that we found and dragged home. the head is some sycamore that someone was trashing, and the beak is orange Osage.

I have the root of that walnut tree. not sure what the grain looks like inside.

ok..one more question for ya...what is that a picture of in your avatar? some sort of rubber band gun?

RipJack...
Here is some of my checkering.
In Honduran Rosewood.
I made these matched grips to fit a Ruger SA anaversary model...

Untitled.jpg

It is kind of tough to see the checkering pattern, If I had done them in 18 LPI instead of 20LPI, it would have shown up better...

LES
Thank You
Here is another set of grips I made for the Ruger MKII, they are 5-6 years old and are starting to show some wear but have actually held up fairly well. They are made from Black Walnut. I made several sets at one time and all but these found new homes...I like the way they feel...so I hung onto a set...LOL.

DSCN0113.jpg

Man, you're full of surprises!

Those look great too Sir. I really like the dual texture on those...

Very nice!! I've been doin some practice checkering on an old baseball bat....still gotta keep my lines straight.

I'm sending out my Manzanita to get stabilized this week. I can't wait to make some grips outa that stuff!

ripjack,
thank you!
Love the Manzanita, you do make very nice grips...from some very pretty wood.
My apology for the checkering side track...

Side track?....nay. it's good.

What do you have for checkering tools? Dem bart or gunline? Anything out of the ordinary I might need? I have a dembart 6 piece master set. I just bought 2 10 lpi heads left and right side cutters.....

Good news! I should be sending out a boxload of burl to get stabilized this week!

I was given a set of Dembart tool, back in the late 80's I don't recall, how many tools there were or even if it was a full set...

I mix and match Dembart, Gunline and Brownells tool. One thing to keep an eye on is the cut angle, I have mixed 60 and 90 degree cutters and had a mess.

A riffler and a bent needle file will help greatly. Also stay with the same brand of cutters from begining to end of the project and change out heads at the first sign of dullness.

Which covers a few of the mistakes I have made. Also keep an eye on the length width ratio it should be somwhere between 3 1/4-3 1/2 to 1. Outside that range the diamonds start looking funky.

10 LPI is pretty coarse, good for practice though...I started with 18 LPI which is kind of a happy medium, 22 and 24 LPI is very fine checkering and can be a headache, 28 LPI if for those wishing to go insane. I like 20 LPI It is just about right for most checkering. It helps if you have OCD...just kidding!

Back