• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Greetings, new to the site

Greetings everyone,
I've had my Mossberg 500 for many years. I mainly used it for sporting clays, back home in New Hampshire. Its been stored for a while as I have not had the opportunity to shoot sporting clays in my current area of Pennsylvania.
I recently took it out to wipe it down and became more interested in finding out a little more information on its engraving.
Engraved on the side of the receiver is "Gold Pheasant Medallion" 1 of 5000. On the opposite side there is a gold cast medallion of a pheasant taking flight.
In my younger days I just wanted to shoot it, and so I did. But now I'm a little more interested in its history.
On line I have been able to find out that its considered a Model 500 AMDP, put out in 1983 as a 12 gauge Medallion Series, Pheasant.
If there is anyone who might be able to share a little wisdom I would surely appreciate it.
Thank you in advance,
NorthCountry

Welcome to the forum from Florida. You can check the year by going to our serial number thread.
I'm sure someone will jump in with more info for you. You get a chance post a pic or two.

Welcome to the forum from Florida. You can check the year by going to our serial number thread.
I'm sure someone will jump in with more info for you. You get a chance post a pic or two.
Thank you for your response. The serial number is J800100, I will surely check in to it.
Thanks again.

No problem. Look's to be a 1986. Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

Welcome to the forum from upstate New York. It sounds like you have a real keeper there. Post some pics and I’m sure some of the other members will have some commentary.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have an excellent old Mossberg.

Pictures are always appreciated.

Regards

Thank you for your response. I took a couple of pictures. They didn't come out as well as I wanted but they show a little detail.
Its been a great shooter. Even for a pump its great for sporting clays, or that early morning walk through the apple orchard hoping for birds to flush.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_6418.JPG
    IMG_6418.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6419.JPG
    IMG_6419.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6427.JPG
    IMG_6427.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 4
I would say it's 1 of 5000 made. I read they started making them in 1983.

The question of numbering is a good one. I would like to think it’s #1 of 5000 made. Number 2 of 5000 would be marked accordingly. That would be so cool it’s probably not the case.
I wonder if you call Mossberg service and ask them. They should be able to give you an answer.

The question of numbering is a good one. I would like to think it’s #1 of 5000 made. Number 2 of 5000 would be marked accordingly. That would be so cool it’s probably not the case.
I wonder if you call Mossberg service and ask them. They should be able to give you an answer.
Thanks, I'll surely follow up on that idea and post their response.

Thanks, I'll surely follow up on that idea and post their response.
Greetings, I did follow up with JMM14534's idea and contacted Cheryl Havlin, She is with the National Mossberg Collectors Association.
She said it was one of 5000 made.
These special commemoratives were marketed where a portion of the proceeds would go to a local wildlife federation, chapters of Pheasants Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited etc, and were sometimes auctioned at dinners etc. They capped production at 5000 units, but made them up as needed - could be only 3500 or so were made if that is all they had orders for.
They had standard serial numbers, the J series dates from June 1983 through July 1987.
I want to thank everyone for your ideas and welcome wishes.
Continued ideas and suggestions are always welcomed.
Thank you
NorthCountry

Back