• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Grow your own protein in your kitchen

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I can hardly wait for the "As seen on TV" ads for this. :roll:

"Insect larvae -- it's what's for dinner!" That may not be the most appetizing catchphrase you'll ever hear, but it sounds perfectly reasonable to Katharina Ungel, an Austrian industrial designer.

Ungel has dreamed up Farm 432, a kitchen appliance that lets people grow and harvest larvae.

She sees larvae as a low-impact alternative to meat production. Insects are an important protein source in some areas of the world, though that sounds a little strange to people in places where fast food restaurants and massive grocery stores are the norm.

The Farm 432 concept uses black soldier fly larvae due to the high protein content. The adults don't require food and the larvae can be fed on bio waste. It takes 432 hours to turn 1 gram of fly eggs into 2.4 kilograms of edible bug meat. The appliance would host the insects as the eggs turn into adults and lay a fresh batch of larvae for your dinner plate.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-575 ... or-dinner/

I'll keep catching fish and hunting for real meat. I would eat bugs if I had to... not because I want to. At least with this system you know what your flys are eating :D

GunnyGene said:
Ungel has dreamed up Farm 432, a kitchen appliance that lets people grow and harvest larvae.

So....basically he has reinvented the garbage can. :lol: :lol:

I can think of a lot of other more appetizing alternatives I could utilize before resorting to his.

MikeD said:
GunnyGene said:

I can think of a lot of other more appetizing alternatives I could utilize before resorting to his.

Well, there are alternatives. Lab grown "beef", for example. Sounds really yummy :lol: And there is always Weiners........Oh, wait. That's a different subject. ;)

The world’s first test-tube burger will be served in London next week. It is made from meat grown in a laboratory, rather than cattle raised in pastures.

And its developers hope it will show how the soaring global demand for protein can be met without the need for vast herds of cattle.

The 5oz ‘Frankenburger’, which cost £250,000 to produce, is made from 3,000 tiny strips of meat grown from the stem cells of a cow.

The raw meat is said to be grey with a slippery texture similar to squid or scallop.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2aThyKi8H

GunnyGene said:
MikeD said:
GunnyGene said:

Well, there are alternatives. Lab grown "beef", for example. Sounds really yummy :lol: And there is always Weiners........Oh, wait. That's a different subject. ;)

The world’s first test-tube burger will be served in London next week. It is made from meat grown in a laboratory, rather than cattle raised in pastures.

And its developers hope it will show how the soaring global demand for protein can be met without the need for vast herds of cattle.

The 5oz ‘Frankenburger’, which cost £250,000 to produce, is made from 3,000 tiny strips of meat grown from the stem cells of a cow.

The raw meat is said to be grey with a slippery texture similar to squid or scallop.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2aThyKi8H

Umm...ew...

More laboratory produced crap to stuff our faces with...

aksavanaman said:
Umm...ew...

More laboratory produced crap to stuff our faces with...

Don't forget the Japanese Poop Burger:
Some hardcore carnivores have a hard time finding meat alternatives such as soy protein or tofu burgers to be palatable. But non-meat eaters may lose their appetite along with their carnivorous friends over this one – a meat alternative made from HUMAN EXCREMENT. Yep, you heard me correctly — Japanese scientist Mitsuyuki Ikeda has developed a “burger” made from soya, steak sauce essence, and protein extracted from human feces. Hit the break for a video explaining the process!

Read more: POOP BURGER: Japanese Researchers Create Artificial Meat From Human Feces

GunnyGene said:
Don't forget the Japanese Poop Burger:

I thought MacRonalds already capatilized on that? :?:

How to make a Stem Cell Burger and the first taste test. :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23529841

Food critics give their verdict on the burger's taste and texture

The first lab-grown burger has now been cooked in a frying pan and tasted by two food writers. But did it live up to all its hype?

The event certainly did. It had the surreal vibe of a live TV food show rather than a science press conference, with presenter Nina Hossain fielding questions.

Chef Richard McGeown was tasked with frying the patty. He commented on its "fantastic colour" and its "nice inviting aroma", but from where the media team sat, there was not a whiff of burger reaching our nostrils.

"It's literally like cooking any other burger I've experienced before, a nice and pleasant aroma but very subtle at this stage," added McGeown.

The "cultured beef" is grown from stem cells taken from a cow and could feed people meat in a sustainable and environmentally friendly way, according to the team that developed it.

But now that it has been tasted for the first time, is it realistic to believe we could ever order it up with a side of fries from our local burger joint?

Mark Post of Maastricht University and the man behind the patty, previously said that for it to be a success it would have to "look, feel and hopefully taste like the real thing".

It must be said that the cultured beef did start to resemble a real burger, but it seemed to turn brown a lot more slowly than a conventional burger might, with some of its brown hue perhaps attributable to the copious amount of butter that was added to the pan.

How to make a stem cell burger
Burger

Suggested ingredients

Stem cells from cow cultured into strips of meat
Beetroot juice and saffron for colouring
1 onion, chopped
1 free-range egg yolk
Salt, pepper and breadcrumbs
25g chopped coriander

Stem cells preparation method

Take some stems cells from a cow
Put them in a large dish and add nutrients and growth promoting chemicals. Now leave to multiply
Three weeks later there will be more than a million stem cells. Put these into smaller dishes to fuse into small strips of muscle, a centimetre or so long and a few millimetres thick
Collect these strips into small pellets and freeze until there are enough to form a burger
Defrost the pellets and put together just before cooking

My mom had a stem cell transplant back just before Christmas (which is not really a transplant since it was her own stem cells), but the medicine that you have to take to harvest/release the cells from your filtered blood is awful.

And the process costs about $120,000, so I'm not sure how economical this would be, even if I were to consider it.

And just in case anyone here doesn't know what it looks like, to me, harvested human stem cells look more like tang than anything.

Back