• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Kinda wish WalMart would jack the **** out of .22lr prices.

I sold some 22lr not that long ago. I paid about 24.00 a box and I had to drive about 1 hour away to get it. so with gas it cost about 30.00 a box to get. the guy that got it from me said they was selling the same box at the flea market 60.00-65.00 a box. he got 10 boxes off me. so I'm not sure if he was taking it to the flea market or not to sell.

the guy that got it from me said they was selling the same box at the flea market 60.00-65.00 a box. he got 10 boxes off me. so I'm not sure if he was taking it to the flea market or not to sell.

You know you're not helping with the situation here by "re-selling"... ;) But capitalism is capitalism... Why did you sell, having had to travel so far to get it in the first place? o_O

I'm away from town. I have to travel to get into town. I did not make any one buy it so I don't have a problem selling it. at the gun show they sell it for around 45.00 so I could have sold it for more money if I want to. the price would go down if people stopped paying so much for it. I went to the gun show and they had buckets for 130.00-145.00 and I got 3 buckets for like 85.00 each so I was not going to pay more than that for them.

Unfortunately, I have to admit, the current market is turning many of us into hoarders.

I take my .22 out a couple of times a year, shoot for a couple of hours and use a couple of hundred rounds. Normally, I would have 3 or 4 boxes of shells in stock. After a day of shooting, I would replace my inventory. But, things have changed. Earlier this year, I decided to teach my wife to shoot a pistol. When I checked my stock, all I had left was three old boxes of Federal Lightnings.

Knowing I was short, I headed out to my local gun shop, no .22s. Same for Dick's, Gander Mountain, and WM. I was beginning to worry, a guy at the flea market wanted $20 a box for Thunderduds. I almost thought I'd have to pay it when I thought of a local shooting range. They had plenty, but weren't interested in parting with them cheap. I ended up paying $7.95 per box (50) for Winchester Super X.

Not wanting to go through that again, I've made a point of going to the ammo case every time I go to WM. Along with a couple of trips to Gander Mountain, in the past few months, I was able to put back about 1500 rounds. So, now due to market conditions, I've been forced to become one of those evil hoarders. If there are about a million other guys in the same boat, that's a lot of ammo out of circulation. (And that doesn't address the zombie apocalypse people stocking 100,000 rounds each.)

people stocking 100,000 rounds each

Dang. I feel inadequate now.

Time to step up my game.

Just kidding. I don't want more than I can carry at any given time.

I'm down the three .223 bullets, a half a clip of 9 millimeter, and if I look around real hard, I may find a few dusty shotgun shells.

Just finding affordable 22LR is no small feat in itself these days, and while I have some standard 22lr, getting it in subsonic has been a major challenge the last few years.

I was able to buy several thousand rounds of .22lr last year, mostly CCI, buy checking www.gunbot.net several times a day. You really gotta be fast or lucky tho. Also, if you subscribe to the newsletters of several (many) online merchants, often they will e-mail you with in stock notifications. I gave up trying to find .22lr locally. Walmart hasn't had any in my store for at least 3 years. And the LGS is exorbitant.

$150 for 1000, I think I'll hold off a while more.

I was able to buy a full half case of subsonic last year at normal (good pricing), but still feel that won't last very long when I start really getting into it.

I finally saw some .22 ammo at a WalMart. I stopped on my way to work at 5:30 a.m. to pick up some pop tarts for breakfast. I usually cruise by the ammo case if I'm not running late. They had about 30 boxes of Federal 325 round boxes for about $19 each. I picked up my 3 box limit. Our .22 supply is a bit bigger than pre Newtown but we still get out and shoot the 10/22 pretty regularly. It's fun to plink with while the other guns cool down.

it's killing me that I can shoot 9mm cheaper than I can 22.

Well, no, it's not killing me because I enjoy shooting them, but still, you know what I'm getting at.

$150 for 1000, I think I'll hold off a while more.

I was able to buy a full half case of subsonic last year at normal (good pricing), but still feel that won't last very long when I start really getting into it.
So the Aquila would be $99.98 per 1k. Or is Aguila ammo not so good?

That is reasonable for what it has been going for, though I was buying it for about $60 per k pre-sandy.

What is scary is the amount of hoarders.
Just think if it were milk or bread they were hoarding...
Supply and demand-repeat after me-"supply and demand."

I would really like to see what would happen if it were $250.00 per brick-wonder how many would constantly hoard it?

Just saying...

What is scary is the amount of hoarders.
Just think if it were milk or bread they were hoarding...
Supply and demand-repeat after me-"supply and demand."

I would really like to see what would happen if it were $250.00 per brick-wonder how many would constantly hoard it?

Just saying...
If it was $250 a brick, that would certainly reduce the demand. Supply would be way up, demand way down, prices would drop.....and we are right back where we started.

There is more to the equation than just hoarders. There are the Neckbeards. Those resellers who try to make a living by beating everyone to the ammo, scooping it up and selling it for double what they paid. There are thousands of new shooters annually who start with a .22lr. Those all contribute to higher demand and higher prices. Also, we can factor in inflation, higher costs of production, and shipping, all of which contribute to the current high prices.

I have about 5900 rounds of .22lr on hand. I don't consider that hoarding, just a hedge against the next time it is impossible to find. Right after Sandy Hook, all the common center fire ammo became very scarce. It has pretty much returned to normal, but .22lr remains evasive. That is what puzzles me. Maybe rim fire is the choice of preppers who are getting ready for TEOTWAWKI.

I think 8¢ to 10¢ per round is going to be the norm for .22lr for the foreseeable future. Just like the gas shortage in 1973, fuel prices started to skyrocket. Once the shortage was over tho, the price of gas stayed high.

Back