• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Today I shot at 100 yards for the first time... I am blown away by how well it performed. My best streak came at a time where I shot 4 clays in a row. I was shooting seated without a rest. My friend also did well shooting clays and he also blew up a spray paint can. I also shot what I consider a good 5 shot group on paper (nothing outside the 8 ring). A stranger shot it and he felt that it shot to the right, but I think it was user error. He complained about the long trigger pull, but since this is my first real rifle, I don't know anything about that. It feels normal to me!

That's awesome man!

Looks like a great day out. Also looks like you're getting a good feel for the rifle. You let a complete stranger shoot your rifle and he complained about it? Wow, some folks just don't know how to act...

I have my prioritized firearms to-do list BUT the gun shop closest to me keeps dropping cases of Mosins front and center for $109 ea. I've cleaned an SKS and learned a lot from that and I love the large round. For chump change I may have to invest in a nice piece of history. Time to look for that diamond in the rough. Pre 1939 can sit proudly with my family heritage Browning Auto 5 from the same era!!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
That's awesome man!

Looks like a great day out. Also looks like you're getting a good feel for the rifle. You let a complete stranger shoot your rifle and he complained about it? Wow, some folks just don't know how to act...

Yeah, I am definitely getting comfortable with it. It is definitely fun to shoot. I don't think the guy meant anything in a snobby way... He actually loaned me a target and a few things to shoot. He also let me shoot a few of his guns and was complimentary about my shooting (good thing he didn't see me with the pistols!... Still a work in progress.)

mingaa said:
I have my prioritized firearms to-do list BUT the gun shop closest to me keeps dropping cases of Mosins front and center for $109 ea. I've cleaned an SKS and learned a lot from that and I love the large round. For chump change I may have to invest in a nice piece of history. Time to look for that diamond in the rough. Pre 1939 can sit proudly with my family heritage Browning Auto 5 from the same era!!

Yeah I made sure to get pre-1939, just because I read a few things about how they were better crafted before the war. I can't imagine a better gun for $100. Only complaint is that it is heavy and will be a bit of a pain carrying through the woods, but I knew that going in. I don't suppose that too many people hunt with them in the states, but that is what I plan on using it for.

I don't know how attached you are to the stock but...if you felt the need to change it out there's a few good looking after market variations you could look into......

Well i picked up a 1939 mosin today. its nice and Im looking forward to finding out more about it. as always pictures will be posted in the morning!

Yes it's a 91/30. I don't think there is anything super special except for the fact that it's mine and tosha isnt going to kill me for getting it.
It's not a Tula but it looks nice and the gun looks great.

I need to post better pix of my laminated stock mosin.......shame on me.

Sweet man, congrats again!

Post up a detail pic of the roll marks (arsenal stamp) on the top of the receiver and we can help you figure out where it was made...

Back