• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Brad.

Most Mosins 91/30s will shoot high at 100yds and in because they're typically battle sighted at 300m. If it was shooting low that's kinda odd. Might need the front sight post filed down a bit if it's regularly going to be shot at shorter distances...

OOOOPS!!! Sorry LES, I said it was shooting low, it was actually shooting high!

Sorry, I was typing as I was startin to fall asleep again! :lol: Ok, so it was high, and we couldnt figure out how to correct that much... I'll put up a short video clip so you can see just what we were shootin at.

Interesting piece of info I wasnt aware of LES, Thanks!!!!!

Here are a couple pics of what we were shootin!

100_6457Small.jpg

100_6451Small.jpg

100_6442Small.jpg

I'll do that video... I dunno, whenever Jenny leaves me alone!!! :lol:

Vit, while I dont know much about Mosin ammo other than technical specs of the case, I'm told its factory surplus.

The tip of the bullet is yellow if that means anything?

Rossignol said:
OOOOPS!!! Sorry LES, I said it was shooting low, it was actually shooting high!

Sorry, I was typing as I was startin to fall asleep again! :lol: Ok, so it was high, and we couldnt figure out how to correct that much... I'll put up a short video clip so you can see just what we were shootin at.

Interesting piece of info I wasnt aware of LES, Thanks!!!!!

Nice pics Brad!

Here's another little tidbit for ya. Most 91/30s were also sighted in with the bayonet on. Removing the bayonet will alter barrel harmonics enough that the point of impact can vary significantly from the point of aim when the rifle is fired without it. If a 91/30 was zeroed at 300m with the bayonet attached, it will shoot very high at 100-200 yards without it, and it will probably shoot to one side or another, most often to the left.

Wow...with the bayonette on? What would be the reasoning for that? Just in they're shooting and someone gets close enough in front of them they need to jab em?

The way I understand it is that the Soviet command required the bayonets to be attached at all times with the exception of traveling by vehicle. The theory was that having a bayonet attached to the front of their battle rifle made the infantry more aggressive in combat.

Knowing the history associated with the rifle makes it take on another meaning entirely!

Thanks again for the helpful info! The rifle did indeed fire high and left! Got it all on video in fact! ;)

Yes Sir,

I did my fair share of research on the Mosin before I bought mine. I've also got a co-worker with a C&R license that is a huge Russian weaponry fanatic. Our water cooler talk extends a bit further than sports and weather... :D

Glad you enjoyed shooting the beast. I decided to throw a picture up if mine. Bought it the week my daughter was born, so it didn't get cleaned for a few weeks.

Definitely a fun rifle to shoot. Going to go out and shoot a few tube TV's in the next few weeks as the weather continues to improve. One of my friends at work has a Barret 50 cal I'm dying to take out, along with some FN FAL's and Galils. My wife refuses to fire most of my rifles, especially the Mosin 91/30.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1331640541.464083.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1331640541.464083.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 145
The Mosin's bark is definitely worse than it's bite. The recoil is nothing compared to the four foot flame shoot'n out of the muzzle... :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The Mosin's bark is definitely worse than it's bite. The recoil is nothing compared to the four foot flame shoot'n out of the muzzle... :lol:

Could be why she hates it! Then again she's afraid of my AR15 so it's not a surprise my mosin gives her a scare!

:lol: Well, Allison fired it once and didnt care for it and wont let me share that particular video! I didnt think it was all that bad!

DCB, good pic man! I did enjoy shooting it! ;)

And Dont Forget!!!
There is one day left to vote in the St. Patricks Day photo contest for the $50 Brownells gift card! You can find the topic at the top of every section on the forum, including this one! :D

Rossignol said:
:lol: Well, Allison fired it once and didnt care for it and wont let me share that particular video! I didnt think it was all that bad!

DCB, good pic man! I did enjoy shooting it! ;)

And Dont Forget!!!
There is one day left to vote in the St. Patricks Day photo contest for the $50 Brownells gift card! You can find the topic at the top of every section on the forum, including this one! :D

Thanks! I'm more into modern weapons but a friend has 2 BARs that are having troubles firing and I'm going to fix them up for him and clean them up. Hopefully have videos when I get them ready. Both saw service.

Man, I'd love to have the opportunity to fire a piece of history like that! You lucky dog! :D

Great news about my gun... I love it!

My brother and I fired it today for the first time. We were shooting clay targets that we set up on a dirt hill. When I took my first shot, I lined up the sight on the target, and missed by about a half an inch. The next time, I aimed at the bottom of the clay, making it as if the clay was resting ontop of my front sight and nailed it. After that, my brother and I got very consistent with our aim. We did use a rest and we also shot standing. I must have gotten lucky with my purchase because we were shooting at 50 yards and it must have only been hitting about an inch higher than point of aim and was not off to the side at all. This was all without the bayonet. I feel confident that it will make a great hunting rifle. My experience today does make me wonder if there is truth to the statement that people make that you should try and find one in good condition with a date of 1939 or before.

The truth to that statement is only in the consistency of production quality. There were still some fine rifles turned out once the war began, but they were definitely more concerned with production volume during the war effort. Also with all the able bodied men off fighting, many of the war-time Mosins were made by women and children.

Take it for what it's worth, but it does sound like you ended up with a great rifle. Nice shoot'n too, bustin clays at 50yds is some pretty nice work. I'm curious to know how it performs when you stretch it out to 100yds or more.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The truth to that statement is only in the consistency of production quality. There were still some fine rifles turned out once the war began, but they were definitely more concerned with production volume during the war effort. Also with all the able bodied men off fighting, many of the war-time Mosins were made by women and children.

Take it for what it's worth, but it does sound like you ended up with a great rifle. Nice shoot'n too, bustin clays at 50yds is some pretty nice work. I'm curious to know how it performs when you stretch it out to 100yds or more.

Me too! I will be going again this week with my fiancee and we will probably stretch it out a bit more.

Back