• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Got an O.K deal on a crate of 54R ($200 OTD, after mil discount) down here in Phoenix. It was the only place I could readily find, and its a shop that pretty much exclusively dealt with surplus ammo. So, now I'll be schlepping two tin can's back in my checked luggage on Friday :D... the wooden crate will have to stay, just don't have room for it.

Anyone want to take a shot at what I've actually got in those cans? (without opening them to look at the case stampings) the store didn't have the specifics listed (well, I didn't ask...duh)

Other than the usual 7.62(+Russian cyrillic letters), below that it's marked K21-52-188... a sliver stripe.. BT 56/71C...and then the 440 round count. Other than maybe being made in 1952, I'm lost... and even 7.62.net wasn't a whole lot of help :)

aksavanaman said:
Anyone want to take a shot at what I've actually got in those cans? (without opening them to look at the case stampings) the store didn't have the specifics listed (well, I didn't ask...duh)

Other than the usual 7.62(+Russian cyrillic letters), below that it's marked K21-52-188... a sliver stripe.. BT 56/71C...and then the 440 round count. Other than maybe being made in 1952, I'm lost... and even 7.62.net wasn't a whole lot of help :)
K21 is the Cartridge serial number.
52 is the year on MFG
188 is the factory (Kilmov/Novosibirsk)

Edit...

AP0022.jpg

By that diagram I'm confused... how could my cartridge production year be 52' and my powder production year be 71'?

I'm really just curious as to the bullet weight and type... as long as it shoots, and I've got 440 rounds in my Tin, I don't really care about the rest :D

EDIT: Silver= Steel core... now I just need the weight!

Can't tell ya for sure what yours is gonna be, but all the silver tip I've ever shot or seen have been between 147gr-149gr...

VitSports6 said:
Your guess is as good as mine, I am only as good as google... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think that quote belongs under another sub-forum... Things that make you LOL

(and yes, even though google is evil, and the man... I'd be lost without it!)

I'm dyslexic... it's a 72' cartridge date...not 52... so your info was correct!

That means I've got USSR 1972 7.62x54r Steel Core Light Ball... thanks to 7.62.net :D If I could only read guud!

Question fella's I've got a local guy selling an M44 with that's tapped and drilled with a scope... would $350 be a good deal?

Depends on the scope and mount I guess.

The going rate for an M44 these days is between $180-$200. Also depends on how bad you want it. If it's in good condition, still try to talk him down in price. Look for counterboring, etc., anything that could be perceived as a negative can be a bargaining chip for you...

Im to lazy to look back through all the pages, but where to buy a turned down bolt for my mosin? Or would i be better off to break out the torch?

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Hmm....interesting. I haven't thought about namin it. I'll have to think of something.

Any of you have a good source for Mosin parts? I broke the rear retaining band spring trying to bend it a little to far... other than ebay any other good choices?

Back